Mislead phone contract from Phones4u

Hi All,

I have recently purchased a phone and contract with Vodafone through the phones4u website. The deal I signed up for clearly stated that I get 6GB data and free Spotify or Sky Sports. Now i have received the phone I have noticed in the contract that I actually get 4GB data and it is part of a promotion that gets me 6GB data and Spotify / Sky Sports for 6 months only.

From what I can see, there was no mention of the deal advertised only being for 6 months, everything looks like that is the deal I was signing up for.

Anybody else had this problem or have any advice on how to ensure I get the contract I'm convinced I actually signed up for?

Cheers

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I think cancelling this contract while it's not too late is more realistic than enforcing it.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Depends how recent is recent. You may have been mistaken and not realised what the offer was, or you may have been mis sold.

Why not try and get the same deal again from P4U and pay a little more attention to see where the problem lies?
  • I believe you need to read more closely next time and take this one on the chin. This forum would be blowing up with complaints if they genuinely were offering it for ever rather than just 6 months as the spotify and sky offers are very popular.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I went into Phones4U once and the were desperate for me to sign a piece of paper that was supposed to be some kind of analysis of my phone usage so they could recommend the most appropriate handset and contract. I read the terms and it was nothing of the sort: they simply wanted to be able to sell all my personal details to telemarketers.

Next came the contract. I was urged not to read it. I was told that, if I left the shop, they would never offer a similar deal. I was assured that I would be signing a 12-month contract. I read the contract and found that they had fraudulently lied and knew that it was an 18-month contract. Their response was, "Oh, no one has 18-month contracts any more - that's just a technicality of the contract. You'll actually be on a 12-month deal. Just give us a call in a year's time and we'll upgrade you." Oh, I'll just sign away all my rights and trust you, then! Duh!

Needless to say, I have never set foot in Phones4U again, and would strongly urge you to avoid them like the plague.

Anyone taking up their deals should read their contracts in full and make voice recordings of any discussion with Phones4U staff so that you have sufficient evidence to enforce the agreed terms and to prosecute them for fraud if necessary.
  • Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    Hi VivaHate,

When you placed your order you should have received an email confirming the package you'd selected.

If this differs from the package you're currently on I'm sure I can help you to get things sorted out.

To enable me to do so, could you email me with your details via the link in our profile here?

All you need to do is copy and paste the link into your web browser and it'll take you to the Contact us form on our website. To make sure it reaches me could you also quote the code WRT135 - MSE in the subject line?

Once sent you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. So I can make sure I've got it could you update the thread with this and I'll get back to you as soon as possible?

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations

Vodafone UK
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • I was also told by phones 4u that sky sports mobile was for duration of contract. Only now realised that Vodafone have text me warning it's due to expire. Phoned Vodafone, they could do nothing but have said they've had loads of calls. I phoned phones 4u, they said they could neither prove or disprove my claim so offered me 30 quid good will. I declined. I know I'm right - I did the maths out loud in the shop to understand the value of the promotion, and clarified with the assistant several times. Gonna call by their store in the next few days and kick off!
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    The contract has no duration, only a minimum term - so the offer would not be for the duration (which is unknown).
  • pmrob
    pmrob Posts: 2 Newbie
    Buzby wrote: »
    The contract has no duration, only a minimum term - so the offer would not be for the duration (which is unknown).

Be that as it may, it's something of a technicality when "2 year contract" is absolutely the common place terminology. Not sure if it was rogue salesman, store policy or phones 4u policy, but mis selling it certainly was.

I'd certainly suggest avoiding phones 4u
  • Hi I am also in the same boat as you....

In November I took a contract with Vodafone 4G, I felt part of it I could justify as it included Spotify for 24 months - so I cancelled my existing Spotify subscription.

I even spoke to someone at Vodafone who confirmed that once I registered my phone for the Entertainment pack, it would be valid for 24 months.

Now it has been 6 months Vodafone have told me it has expired! I have spoken to them and even though I have a chat transcript from the previous rep they are interpreting his comments as after 6 moths I can keep Spotify for a charge (Even though it never mentioned any charge!!!!!). Vodafone are adamant it was 6 months only.

I need to go back to Phones4U now as I chatted with one of their reps before taking the contract and he confirmed it was 24 months. My fear is now they will deny all knowledge as they have had my business.

This has been so frustrating as Vodafone cancelled my number when I took the contract out! That took 10 days to resolve! They also incorrectly charged me for Spotify one month! In my 9 years at T-Mobile I never ever had a single issue!!
  • Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    edited 4 June 2014 at 3:25PM
    Hi jas100,

Thanks for making me aware of this.

So I can help you further with things, email me with your details via the link in our profile here.

All you need to do is copy and paste the link into your web browser and it'll take you to the Contact us form on our website. To make sure it reaches me, quote the code WRT135 - MSE in the subject line.

Once sent, you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. Post back with this and I’ll check I've received it.

Kind regards,

Lee

Social Media Comms

Vodafone UK
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure