Money Moral Dilemma: How much board should I charge?

1161718192022»

Comments

• TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    £30 is more than generous on your part.

it's less than half what sh'd pay for a room in a shred house, and if she did that she'd be paying a share of bills, plus all her own food, on top.

I think that 1/3 of earning is a useful quick way of getting to a figure - another which I've seen suggested is to work out what proportion of earning the other members of the famiyl are paying.

e.g if you and your partner have combined income of £2,000 per month, and rent,/mortgage, bills and food costs £1,200 per month you are paying 60% of your income in living costs - ask her to pay the same proportion of her income, or 1/3 of the actual bills + (say) £50 week in rent.

As this is likely to leave her with next to no disposable income you can then tell her that you are willing to compromise and will accept £30 per week for now, provided she puts at least £30 per week into savings or a pension.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • You should charge around £50 per week. (£25-£30 for food, £20 towards utilities (fuel, water, proportion tv licence/broadband), £2 towards cleaning products, loo rolls, soap etc). She should pay for her mobile phone, gym membership etc herself on top of this. She's still getting a really cheap deal and will still have over £100 left after these expenses. Far more than if she had to pay rent, council tax, contents insurance etc. She should be able to pay for driving lessons/car/public transport costs and a social life.
  • I've had this discussion with my parents loads of times regarding my brother and sister who still live at home. I think you should pay but I can also understand that the parents do not want to take money from their kids but on the other hand there is a lesson to learn here.

My suggestion was and is, they charge the daughter 200p/month or there about (you can show her the bills etc to explain why), but without her knowing you put the money into a savings account for when she moves out. That way, she learns a lesson about being self sufficient but your not making money from her because in the end you'll give it her back in the form of something towards a house deposit or whatever.

I'd also like to point out that whilst she was at Uni she had all her bills, GYM and CLOTHES paid for??? Ridiculous! Whilst at uni it's your opportunity to become self sufficient, no wonder she is complaining now!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure