Insurer being awkward about claim

Comments

• Bath_cube
    Bath_cube Posts: 188 Forumite
    Sorry if I have come across as rude to some but I have never made a theft claim before and it's blooming stressful. Yes my insurer upon taking out the policy with them 6 years ago did ask if I had any valuables worth over two thousand pounds which were my wedding and engagement rings. My insurer then listed them separately on the policy but they have never informed me in writing or otherwise of the upper limit they will pay for each item in the event of a claim. I haven't purchased any jewellery for a long time but as I say a quick look at most high street jewellers sites and the average is around six to seven thousand for a similar solitaire ring. I don't expect my insurer to give me the equivalent of a two or three carat for example so it's not like I'm trying to get a Mercedes when I only had a ford fiesta in the first place so to speak. I have not specified the earrings or any other item of jewellery to them simply because they were not purchased for over two thousand pounds compared to my wedding jewels. So it's not as though I am trying to rip my insurers off I just want a fair settlement to be able to buy a equivalent replacement of the stolen items. I have said that I'm happy to settle the claim with vouchers or a card so I can just go into a few stores and then choose my replacements. But I don't see why I should be limited to a single store. Surely insurance companies are able to access vouchers or cards that can be redeemed at a variety of jewellers instead of just one store.
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    F. Hinds are a well established, old company and highly likely to have better quality jewellelry than h. samual et al. BUT the insurance company may be trying to get away with paying less to settle, that's what they all do for all types of claims.

I would look if there is a hinds close to you and pop in, ask them what a ring similar to what you had would cost.

Also is the 4k just for the ring? Also have you allowed for any excess you will need to pay?

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• If they specified the items, what value did they specify them for?
    It's your responsibility to ensure the values are accurate.

If they didn't specify them then you will only have £2k cover per item.
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Bath_cube wrote: »
    Yes my insurer upon taking out the policy with them 6 years ago did ask if I had any valuables worth over two thousand pounds which were my wedding and engagement rings. My insurer then listed them separately on the policy but they have never informed me in writing or otherwise of the upper limit they will pay for each item in the event of a claim.
    If they are listed on the policy, are you sure they don't have a value (sum insured) against them?
  • Blibble
    Blibble Posts: 503
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If the insurer has listed them separately on the policy then it sounds like they've been specified which is good news. You're first bet would be to ask the insurer what the wedding and engagement rings are specified for, as this will go a long way to establishing the correct valuation of the claim.

I would also ask the insurer to provide catalogue references / weblinks etc. for the like-for-like replacements. This will be your best bet for refuting their offer if you're unhappy - you can't refute it if you don't know how they've not come to that figure!

So get a breakdown of the 4k settlement and take it from there.

The insurer may have alternative suppliers with which you could use a voucher, or it may be just F. Hinds - it's always worth asking. In my opinion F. Hinds do a decent job, but everyone's different. If they only offer a voucher scheme for F. Hinds & you're not keen, you're best bet would be to ask for the cash. This will be a slightly reduced figure than the voucher value (as the insurer gets a discount through their supplier, i.e., F. Hinds) however gives you a load more freedom. There's no real argument against it, regrettably; the policy will state somewhere that the insurer may use their own appointed supplier and it's up to them what settlement options / routes to offer.
  • Bath_cube
    I phoned a local branch of f hinds not long ago. They did say that they have different ranges of diamond rings and it is the quality of the stone eg the clarity and if the cut is excellent which determines the price. They said a ring similar to the one I had in the same metal and carat weight ranges from three to six and a half thousand pounds with the colour and clarity of the stones determing the price. The same applies to my wedding band and earrings. The manager did tell me that she would be very surprised if the insurer gave me vouchers for a specific store as she did say most customers going through their insurance are given a gemcheck card with the agreed amount loaded onto the card. This card can be used to purchase items at nearly every chain of high street jewellers and I won't have to spend the amount all in one go eg I could buy my replacement rings from hinds then go to say leslie davies at another time and buy the earrings from there if I wanted to. This lady was m
  • chocaholics
    chocaholics Posts: 471
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 15 March 2017 at 7:00PM
    Evening all, have been reading with interest because I am in a similar situation myself. I lost my late Mums 2 diamond rings, but only one was mentioned on my insurance and at a lesser value than the actual valuation because I thought I had lost the certificate for it. So I put the value at £1500 although I know it was valued at £1995 30 years ago as I fully intended to get a proper valuation. This is because the insurance states anything above £1500 must be mentioned separately.I subsequently found the valuation later. Unfortunately although it has been valued by the assessors at £3200 the insurers are only paying me £1500 before deduction of the excess. The other ring I didnt mention as I assumed it was worth less than £1500 which was stupid of me as I can now see replacements for similar 2 rings amounts to more than £5000. For this ring I have been offered £950 before excess and payment will be in vouchers which I have to use in H Samuel or Ernest Jones. Now upon looking at both these websites I can see that I wont even be able to buy 1 decent ring for this feeble amount of money. I have refused to accept these valuations so far but they seem immoveable so I will try the onbudsman and hope to get a more sympathetic ear. If they gave me cash I would be happy to replace them with 2 second hand rings as that is the only way to get something like the values I think.
    Does anyone think the ombudsman would be sympathetic in this case.
    TIA
  • Blibble
    Blibble Posts: 503
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    So I put the value at £1500 although I know it was valued at £1995 30 years ago

Oops ...
    The other ring I didnt mention as I assumed it was worth less than £1500 which was stupid of me as I can now see replacements for similar 2 rings amounts to more than £5000.

Oh dear ...
    Does anyone think the ombudsman would be sympathetic in this case.

Nope.

It's worth asking your insurer to confirm which items they have seen which are a like-for-like match to the ones which were lost / stolen, however it would have been up to you to ensure that the valuations on the policy were up to date I'm afraid.

It's your job to make sure you're adequately covered for the items you wish to insure, not your insurer's job.
  • Blibble wrote: »
    Oops ...

Oh dear ...

Nope.

It's worth asking your insurer to confirm which items they have seen which are a like-for-like match to the ones which were lost / stolen, however it would have been up to you to ensure that the valuations on the policy were up to date I'm afraid.

It's your job to make sure you're adequately covered for the items you wish to insure, not your insurer's job.

Thanks but they are meant to be replacement value but I wont get even one ring with what they are offering, and yes I was very careless but had no idea that the value would have gone up so much. My own fault as you said.
  • Bath_cube
    I'm really sorry to hear that chocoholic. Yes I think you should contact the ombudsman you have been treated terribly. My policy states new for old on replacements which includes jewellery. A ring which cost almost three thousand twenty years for example would be impossible to replace on a like for like basis today for the original purchase price. If I was only given the original purchase price and had to go to say ernest jones I would be very lucky if I got a quarter carat stone in white gold. I'm told that my insurer must provide enough so that I can buy a ring of the same stone carat and metal purity which would be impossible if I only received the original putchase cost less my excess too. I don't want to disclose who my insurer is on here because I'm concerned they could use it against me. If you bought a house for fifty thousand twenty years ago you certainly couldn't now and it's the same for jewellery too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure