AA renewal rip off

124»

Comments

• booty1
    booty1 Posts: 5 Forumite
    I saved almost £80 pounds on my aa renewal and I had to agree to automatic renewal or nothing they also stated that if any details were changed on my card that I used they would be informed by the card issuer .thought it was strange , why does the aa require auto renewal ,is this legal in the law and are they telling the truth or lying .
  • oaprut
    oaprut Posts: 63 Forumite
    I have been with Greenflag for about 5 years now. Always cancel auto renewal with so called money off for being a loyal customer. I take out the policy via cash back site and end up paying about £25 for their best (apart from driving on the continent) service. Without the cash back Greenflag is a much better deal than either AA or RAC. On rare occasions I have needed them, service has been very good.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Auto Renew is not 'illegal' in itself - if they insist, you can always decline. It is up to them to decide whether they still want your business. I'm with the RAC and they make it very difficult for you to pay any other way - like telling you where to send your cheque (Great Park Road, Patchway, Bristol).

Some staff even told me they no longer accepted cheques - that was in 2011! If you pay by card, then will retain the details and attempt to strong arm a renewal 12 months later.
  • The AA have charged me £320 through direct debit for joint membership this year with Home Start. I could get this for about a £120 or much less if I went elsewhere. I thought they were a reputable company that could be trusted. I was too busy to check the renewal letter properly and I've paid for it - literally. In fact, I've been over charged for the last few years. They gave me a £28 refund. My wife and I have used them about twice in the last five years for a flat battery. Be prepared for a long wait when you phone the AA of course and then you speak to someone who has absolutely no authority whatsoever to do anything about the appalling situation you find yourself in. I've been a member since 1993.

Keep a close eye on this devious company or they'll take what they'll can from you.

Just go on line and google AA membership rip off...
  • CrazyKitten
    CrazyKitten Posts: 105 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I'm a AA Gold member, last year due to needing to save money I found that RAC were cheaper so I rang AA to cancel the guy said that customers should treat breakdown the same as insurance and always ask for a better deal each year! He knocked off about £60 so I stayed with them, will see that happens in September though...
    Comp Wins on Twitter to Date: 20 Prizes!
    £2015 in 2015: £2193 :j
    £2016 in 2016: £2135.14
    Savings Fund : £2100/£10,000
  • lmcamoes
    lmcamoes Posts: 124 Forumite
    edited 22 April 2015 at 4:39PM
    Hi hate be treated like this.

Renewal with an increase of £5 a month with no explanation.
    I threatened to leave for RAC and they agreed to charge the same as before.

The person on the other side of the phone said for me to call straight away when I receive the new renewal letter so they can reduce premium again.

Why? Why do they make you make a phone call to reduce the premium?

I hate to be treated like this!
  • I approached their customer complaints dept, having payed £70-quid over what I would have done as a new customer. Essentially they said
    'lump it', so make sure you don't miss the renewal date if, like me, you're on direct debit, because it's too late once they have your dosh! Interested to hear whether people think this is either a) fair or b) common practice. Considering do a consumer story on this practice, which seems pretty widespread these days - has MSE written anything about this I wonder? cheers, h
  • No you (add very bad word) don't.

Automatic renewal by DD £280. Cost of the same package on the AA website, £149. Just checked my bank statement to see what I was paying quarterly last year - there is a reduction in the DD. Wait for it - 3p per quarter less!

I've been well and truly mugged off since I haven't bothered questioning the auto renewal ever.

The attitude of the operative manning the 'press button 2 if you are thinking of leaving' was appalling. He pretended not to know the price for new members, claiming he hadn't checked it today or last week and it changes daily. Why do they put such a twerp on the line or is that what is on their script?

I've cancelled my membership. Thought I'd sign up again on their website for £149 but twerpy said you can't do that until six weeks after your membership expires. He tried to persuade me that I get loads of extras free. Wonderful - I wouldn't pay £130 a year for things I don't eat or drink, places I don't visit and what use is Junior Associate Cover when there is no junior?

Having read other comments now worried that the AA has already helped itself to £70.13 before the renewal date of 3rd August. Might ring them again tomorrow and then, if necessary, test their legal advice team to get it back pronto since I'm covered until midnight!

Off to read customer reviews on other break down providers and no more DD.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure