PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

100 interesting ways to use potatoes !

Primrose
Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
edited 4 April 2017 at 3:06PM in Old style MoneySaving
All your suggestions here please.
Hopefully lots of people will have some interesting and inspirational ideas.

Kicking off with:

Use surplus dry herb stuffing in mashed potatoes. Shape into rissoles and fry in shallow fat until crispy brown on both sides.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply! [purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• Make potato cakes with leftover mashed potato by adding plain flour and seasoning and making it into a stiff dough. Roll out to 1/3 inch thickness and cut into pieces with a cutter then cook in a heavy based pan/on a griddle until the first side is golden brown then flip over and cook the second side until it is 'flecked'. Nice hot as part of breakfast and nice cold with cheese or with soup.
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I look forward to reading all the ideas on this thread. We have a huge garden and I grow 10 different varieties of potatoes and am always on the lookout for new recipes. Tattie soup anyone?
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Potato dumplings!

500g potatoes
    a good pinch salt
    150g cornflour
    1/8 litre VERY hot milk
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    (plus optional 'filling' see end of recipe)

Boil potatoes in their skins, peel whilst still warm and mash/sieve the flesh. Mix the flesh with the salt and the cornflour. Stir in the milk (it does need to be hot!) Leave the mixture until it cools (it will also thicken). Add the baking powder. With floured hands form into dumplings. Cook in boiled water - when ready they rise to the top...serve with soup or stew...or with meat and veg....personally, I yum these up with liver and bacon

These are very nice with a little 'secret' inside...before cooking you simply press a little 'something' into the middle of the dumpling (when you 'form' them) ....two favourites are a small piece of crispy bacon or a little garlicky crouton.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hasselback potatoes https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/hasselback-potatoes.html
    Jansson's temptation http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/janssons-temptation/

Another favourite here is eggs baked in mash, spoon mash into a casserole dish or individual ramekins making hollows, break and egg into each hollow, sprinkle grated cheese over the top and bake for 15 mins. Lovely with buttered spinach
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Jack Monroe recommends tinned potatoes as a great moneysaver, and if you get them from A!di or Lid! they are.
    I now use tinned potatoes in onion, bacon and potato hotpot.
    1 tin potatoes
    1lb sliced onions
    450g cooking bacon
    Pint of cheese /white sauce.
    Chop up the bacon (cooking bacon, natch), finely slice the onion and potatoes, place in seasoned layers in a casserole and cover in cheese or white sauce.
    I had the previous problem of the thinly sliced potatoes taking ages to cook in the sauce and still being very firm in the middle of the slice. That's even with using a food processor.

A way of making instant mash edible is to turn it in to Duchesse potatoes. Mix in some grated cheese and bake dollops of the mash on a baking tray for 25 minutes in the oven. My children referred to them as 'potato plops' when small.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Another use of tinned potatoes:
    1 250g pack smoked mackerel fillets, skinned.
    1 large tin potatoes
    2 tbsps made mustard (any type) /horseradish sauce.
    1 pack sage and onion stuffing, not made up

Drain potatoes, and place with mustard, mackerel fillets and 2/3rds of the dried stuffing in a food processor. Buzz until a thick pate is formed. Form in to thick cakes (I can make 4 large ones with this amount) and dust with the remaining stuffing rather than breadcrumbs. Bake for 25 mins in a hottish oven.

Edit: Going to try the first post of including stuffing in with mash to make potato cakes as well, as it does taste good in the fish cakes.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Primrose
    Cook extra potatoes when making mash.
    Reserve the surplus
    Fry up some chopped onions, sliced mushrooms & chopped bacon and stir into the mash. (The fat from these should help bind the mash but you can add a knob of butter if necessary).

Put into a shallow dish , sprinkle some grated cheese on top and bake in the oven until crispy. You can also add grated cheese into the mixture to make it more tasty.

You can also add fried onions, mushrooms & bacon to concanon mixture (mash & chopped greens) to add more flavour for a supper dish.
  • Primrose
    I expect most people know that you can partially cook jacket potatoes in a microwave first and then finish them off in the oven if you like that crispy skin effect which comes with old fashioned baked potatoes before microwaves were invented.

this greatly reduces the cooking time, saves fuel and the crispy skin makes the potato more desirable to eat.
  • Prinzessilein
    Another recipe from the family books!...'Plinzen' (sort of potato cakes/pancakes/blinis!)

Equal weight of raw potatoes (peeled) and peeled-and boiled potatoes
    Egg for binding.
    salt/pepper
    onions if you like.
    Oil for frying.

Grate the raw potatoes and then give a good rinse (to remove the surface starch)...pat dry.
    Mash up the cooked potato with a fork.
    Combine the two sorts of potato and mix together with the egg.
    (add chopped/grated onion if using).
    Season.
    Fry as small 'pancakes'/potato cakes.

Delicious with bacon and a good dollop of apple-mousse!(thick apple sauce/puree)
  • Prinzessilein
    And an idea from my Omi (gran) from war times...which Mum has done in modern times....

This is an interesting way to use up the potato skins you might have left from the other recipes I have posted here!!!!

Obviously, you want the skins to have been washed/scrubbed clean before peeling!

So...potato skin 'cookies'
    potato skins (raw!)
    egg and maybe a splash of milk
    jam
    oil or similar for greasing a griddle pan/baking stone

Place the peeling onto a baking sheet and place in a warm oven to dry out...you want them to get REALLY dry and brittle!
    Now let them cool slightly and using your fingers 'crumble' the skins - they should crumble up into little dry flakes.
    Mix the flakes with a little egg and a drop of milk of liked.
    You want a dropping consistency.
    Heat up a greased griddle and drop spoonfuls of the mixture on to it...flatten them a little and turn so that they brown on both sides.
    Serve with a blob of jam on top.

(Omi used beetroot 'jam'...but any flavour works!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure