Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread

Comments

• MKS
    MKS Posts: 10,328
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    For Savvy, from a womble.
    12 items (8 different) on your receipt qualify for comparison Asda Morrisons
    2x Asda SmartPrice ASDA 2 Chicken & Mushroom Slices (2x165g) £2.00 N/A
    1x McVitie's Digestives Milk Chocolate Jumbo Pack (500g) £2.29 £1.50
    1x ASDA Skimmed Milk (4pt) £0.99 £1.00
    2x Heinz Beanz in Rich Tomato Sauce (415g) £1.00 £1.50
    1x ASDA Baker's Selection Strawberry Tarts (2pk) £1.00 N/A
    1x ASDA Grower's Selection Maris Piper Potatoes (2.5kg) £1.50 £2.00
    1x Muller Light Toffee & Vanilla Yogurts (6x175g) £2.00 N/A
    4x Walkers Smoky Bacon Crisps (6x25g) £4.00 £5.00
    1x Richmond 12 Thick Pork Sausages (681g) £2.00 £2.82
    1x Flora Light Spread (500g) £1.70 £1.00
    1x ASDA 12 Medium Free Range Eggs (12pk) £1.65 £1.77
    Comparison total (compared products only) £15.13 £16.59
    cheaper +£1.46
  • pippo
    pippo Posts: 3,891
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    TrulyMadly wrote: »
    I've had a brilliant day today.

I've had this idea chasing around in my head for years.

One of the downfalls of giving food parcels is that it doesn't really solve a lot of the underlying problems. It's a sort of stopgap measure...like a sticking plaster.
    One of the underlying problems is lack of knowledge/ experience/ not being able to shop and cook on a budget.

Imagine picking up a food parcel and attached to it, is a volunteer with a carrier bag of ingredients who would go back to your house with you and show you how to cook a very basic family meal. Imagine the kids coming home to a tasty casserole. :T:T
    So ....you start with a very basic repertoire of 4/5 meals, costed out at between £2 and £3 per meal for 4 for example.
    There's lots of things to be ironed out....health and safety:o and risk assessments:o, lack of cooking equipment ....some families are without even the most basic cookery stuff:o

Anyway I did a pitch for some funding today and it went really well. I feel really hopeful that this sort of intervention could make a huge difference to people...improving their health and lifestyle.

There's an army of women out there who are savvy shoppers and brilliant cooks. If we could match them with the young families who are struggling it would be a dream come true:)

What do you think?:)
    TM, that's a great idea, the sad thing is that the council I worked for used to do this, we employed staff called 'family aides' who would help people struggling both with children and with making ends meet. Sadly this, and many other services are no longer available due to cutbacks.
  • TrulyMadly
    TrulyMadly Posts: 39,754
    Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    I feel a bit cheated.

I didn't realise this was cooking chocolate. I haven't even got anyone to taste it as we've all given it up for lent.
    There was all different types for 50p

36CBAE49-9518-49BC-A743-55335A493362_zpsiyoulsmt.jpg
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
  • Sad_Dad
    Sad_Dad Posts: 878
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Evening All,

Sharpies must have been restocked at my store, ordered 10 and got 7 plus 3 subs.

Anyone with a TSB credit card (me and DW have one each) should have got an email today saying the 1% cachback on the first £500 is being extended by 18 months.

Nice £180 for little effort.

Cheers,
    Sad_Dad
  • TrulyMadly
    Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    pippo wrote: »
    TM, that's a great idea, the sad thing is that the council I worked for used to do this, we employed staff called 'family aides' who would help people struggling both with children and with making ends meet. Sadly this, and many other services are no longer available due to cutbacks.

I know it's not unique and it certainly isn't rocket science but I think, with volunteers it could work:)
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
  • TrulyMadly
    Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    Sad_Dad wrote: »
    Evening All,

Sharpies must have been restocked at my store, ordered 10 and got 7 plus 3 subs.

Anyone with a TSB credit card (me and DW have one each) should have got an email today saying the 1% cachback on the first £500 is being extended by 18 months.

Nice £180 for little effort.

Cheers,
    Sad_Dad
    Are you still happy these days sad _ dad:D
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
  • bubbs
    bubbs Posts: 66,862
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I've had a brilliant day today.

I've had this idea chasing around in my head for years.

One of the downfalls of giving food parcels is that it doesn't really solve a lot of the underlying problems. It's a sort of stopgap measure...like a sticking plaster.
    One of the underlying problems is lack of knowledge/ experience/ not being able to shop and cook on a budget.

Imagine picking up a food parcel and attached to it, is a volunteer with a carrier bag of ingredients who would go back to your house with you and show you how to cook a very basic family meal. Imagine the kids coming home to a tasty casserole. :T:T
    So ....you start with a very basic repertoire of 4/5 meals, costed out at between £2 and £3 per meal for 4 for example.
    There's lots of things to be ironed out....health and safety:o and risk assessments:o, lack of cooking equipment ....some families are without even the most basic cookery stuff:o

Anyway I did a pitch for some funding today and it went really well. I feel really hopeful that this sort of intervention could make a huge difference to people...improving their health and lifestyle.

There's an army of women out there who are savvy shoppers and brilliant cooks. If we could match them with the young families who are struggling it would be a dream come true:)

What do you think?:)

I think thats a fantastic idea:T:T:T
    Sealed pot challenge number 003 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j spc number 22 £1,457Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
  • MKS
    MKS Posts: 10,328
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    bubbs wrote: »
    Oh god def not:rotfl::rotfl:

Actually think my sister is on o2 :rotfl::rotfl:will ask her later

How are you?

Hope she has, for you.
    Ok'ish. :A You? xx
  • Sad_Dad
    Sad_Dad Posts: 878
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Are you still happy these days sad _ dad:D

Hi TM,

Stiill pretty happy, thanks.

Things are still going well with my home and work life and I've got my finances back in order but need to spend some big money on my house in the next couple of years.

I'm enjoying getting lots of eVouchers at the moment.

How are you?
  • bubbs
    bubbs Posts: 66,862
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    MKS wrote: »
    Hope she has, for you.
    Ok'ish. :A You? xx

Ohh booger forgot to ask her:rotfl::rotfl:
    Same OKish :o
    Sealed pot challenge number 003 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j spc number 22 £1,457Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure