Car trailer

Comments

• Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You'd also be insuring it against theft.

Definitely buy at that usage; you'll be familiar with it and don't need to worry zbout inevitable dings.

Does bj do approved used? I know iw does. Used shouldn't be a problem even with a bit of rust; they are mechanically very simple and everything can be welded/hammered/replaced. That's why they go for almost new money unless they are wrecks.

Buy the best one you can get away with now, or you'll what-if every time you use it. I've got an iw goods trailer and wish I'd bought it 10 years earlier, or rather the next one up.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    Exactly the insurance is against theft. With an easily removed VIN plate and a trailer costing £2k+ its an easy target and unlikely to ever be found again.

You get 3rd party cover when towing no issues there, but if you damage it then its not covered.

When i have hired trailers they are fully insured. Been a while but the excess was only £35.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Closet to me was gttrailers and they are rip off
  • ok been looking around and what I have found is the second hand ones do not warrant buying
    for instance a brand new one is £2400 and second hand is £2299 which was made in 2014.

Brian james are very expensive so I have decided to buy ifor williams which costs £1800+vat

options that can be purchased are:
    center decking aluminium , £140 + VAT
    spare tyre and bracket for it £105+vat
    vechicle chocks £45+vat
    toolbox £50+vat

winch 600kg £125+vat
    winch 1050 £150+vat
    winch 1500kg £235+vat

I think the tyre and bracket is waste of money as I could buy a second hand tyre and alloy for £20 and leave it in drift car and have a puncture kit so save myself £100

what I am wondering is whether center decking be useful which again I think not. what will it be useful for to warrant £140+vat ?

so at the end , I want to get the basic model + winch + toolbox + chocks

that is £1800+winch +45+50 + VAT

so question I have is what winch should I use?
    I always drove the car up but don't mind having a winch.
    is it hard to wind the winch using hand ? what capacity do i need?
    If my car is 1.6ton in weight, none of the winch above are suitable so is the winch based on car weight or pulling force?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    Centre deck is ideal when you need to stick a jack under a car and drag it up the trailer.

Spare wheel/tyre check the PCD and weight loading. Not having a bracket on the trailer where will you put the spare if collecting a vehicle?

Chocks and straps, a good selection is always handy.

The hand winch is not a wind it with your finger but it will drag a dead car up the trailer.

What capacity do you need, the bigger the better.

Pulling forces and dead lift forces are different.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Does cheap winch work ebay work?

Is there anything more than bolting it down to trailer? What could go wrong if the winch bolts are shreaded while pulling a car up, would the wire spring back under force and potentially be fatal?
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    drifter17a wrote: »
    I always drove the car up but don't mind having a winch. is it hard to wind the winch using hand ? what capacity do i need? If my car is 1.6ton in weight, none of the winch above are suitable so is the winch based on car weight or pulling force?

Many moons ago I used to work in a garage that used a trailer for recovery work. I was taught never to drive a car on to a trailer and always to use a winch as it reduced the potential for expensive accidents. Everything happens very slowly and is much more controllable.

You would only need to match the pulling force to the weight of the car if you were trying to lift it vertically off the ground. You can always double the pull by using a snatch block.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    drifter17a wrote: »
    I always drove the car up but don't mind having a winch. is it hard to wind the winch using hand ? what capacity do i need? If my car is 1.6ton in weight, none of the winch above are suitable so is the winch based on car weight or pulling force?

Many moons ago I used to work in a garage that used a trailer for recovery work. I was taught never to drive a car on to a trailer and always to use a winch as it reduced the potential for expensive accidents. Everything happens very slowly and is much more controllable.

The winches should be rate for both pull and lift. You can always double it by using a snatch block.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,685 Forumite
    Check what a spare tyre will cost first; it'll be a lot higher than a cheap car tyre since it'll likely be smaller and take more weight. If you get a flat it'll be so much easier to swap the wheel than repair the tyre.

Centre deck will be a sheet between the runners, handy if you carry stuff that isn't a car. You can probably drop in a sheet of 25mm ply if you need it.

It's worth noting that anything you add to the trailer will come off the load rating so you want to add as little as you can get away with.

I'd probably get the middle winch fitted, rather than using ebay, because it'll be under a lot of strain and you don't want to damage either car if it snaps.

Iw potentially also charge for delivery to a local dealer, though they waived it for me.
  • Thanks all

So what is the rule for winch?
    For instance can the 600 kg pull my 1.5 ton car?

Re center decking, a brilliant idea as i can also take my kart on it

I have a bike trailer and don't suppose you can strap a bike up on a car trailer, do you see any issues?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure