3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge!!

Comments

• skye_blue
    skye_blue Posts: 301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi all

Put those feet up helen and make some time to chill, will do you good!

Ive added £5 to EF (£110 now)

Hope this wet weather doesn't stop everyone having a great weekend, keep warm and dry folks
  • stewby
    stewby Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi everyone... This is quite a bit addictive.

Normally I wait until the end of the month to pay extra to anything or add to my savings as my wages are so variable (and we have such high outgoings) I need to make sure I get paid enough for the following month.
    Basically there are three months of the year that I don't get paid enough to do everything I want to do. But they are very random as it can be due to holidays or no weekend/nightshift work.

However, this month my wages were awesome. Mainly a mix of working too much and Xmas. Nightshifts over Xmas gives me a bit of a bonus.
    So we had decided to transfer all the money across at the end of January and I was determined to wait it out until the end of the month... but the excitement is too much and I am declaring it now.

#8 - £230.76!!

Sorry Helen. It was £180 but it's gone up again. Probably going to miss doing this at the end of the month but oh well, I am enjoying the high just now.
    :j

In relation to savings... When I first got my mortgage (from w00lw1ch), they told me that I had to have an account with them in order to qualify. There were none of these minimum pay in rules or anything so I used it to pay bills from for a while.
    Scarily enough, £125 a month used to cover everything from car insurance to electricity. We are now more than ten times that amount.
    :eek:

The account is 0% interest, my mortgage is a standard repayment (currently classed as a tracker). I have had a look at their other savings accounts (under their new name) but the interest is tiny. Not really worth all the hassle in changing.
    Having read the guide on here, the premium bonds thing is not really for me.
    Next up is to look at ISAs.
    :)

Thanks again for the advice and sorry for the huge speel.
    Hugs.
    Mortgage: £0/£80,329.91
    Savings: £0/£6400
    :love:
  • DreamerHelen
    DreamerHelen Posts: 2,629 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Afternoon All :)

Feeling a bit better this Afternoon.....Work been going better and starting to feel a bit more positive....

carbootcrazy - I'm almost always up early hun....Hope your Trip off to the Airport went okay....I'd love to be jetting off on a Trip somewhere....Preferably New York followed by Las Vegas followed by Orlando :D

skye blue - I've Updated the First Page for you....You're doing brilliant...keep it going!! :)

stewby - I've Updated the First Page hun....Sounds like you're doing AWESOME!! Keep it going!! :)
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Might actually be able to add to my 3-6 month ef next week.

I listed a pair of workboots that almost crippled me on ebay as they were only 2 weeks old.

They had 1 bid (so far) with just over 2 days to go. So fingers crossed.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• DreamerHelen
    Morning Peeps.... :)

Feeling MUCH better this morning....although had VERY weird dreams last Night.... :D

patman99 - I hope you get loads of bids for your Workboots.....I shall look forward to hearing your Update :)
  • Just popping in to say I transferred £7.16 over in fleabay profits.

£1,493.28 / 4600 (32.5%)
    Aqua 0/1850 Cap.One 0/450 Vanquis 0/500 HSBC 0/100
    :j ~Debt Free Date 07/12/2015~ :j

SPC member #530 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin 3-month EF: £2158.63/4600
    Make £10/day Nov-Dec £814.04 Jan-Apr £1689.78 May £233.57/310
  • DreamerHelen
    Hey lexbubbles hun - I've Updated the First Page...You're doing really AWESOME!! Keep going hun xXx :)
  • sophieo16
    sophieo16 Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 February 2016 at 1:00AM
    Hi everyone,

So my car had some tiny bits wrong with it so failed MOT initially, total for it to go through the MOT, get fixed and then re-test and pass was £92.50. I had £100 set aside for any problems so I've added the £7.50 plus some random interest to accounts to my 3-6 EF.

I have also made the decision to budget £150 for next years MOT so this will now build up in my syncing fund :)

New total for me is £677.42 (22.58%). Slowly getting there :)

I was also a very very lucky girl this weekend, if not alittle spoilt. My mam and step dad went to Florida for 5 weeks on holiday during Jan. They used to live there for 5 years so went back to see old friends. I went to visit them this weekend and they brought me back an iPhone 6s as a present :eek:! i could have killed them, told them they should have kept the money for their next trip. but obviously i am very very grateful.

I have always bought my own phones years after they come out for less so that i don't have to be stuck in contracts and all of that palaver. I have an iPhone 5 that i bought off of eBay and an iPhone 4s (that i also bought off of eBay years before) as a spare. I offered to give the 4s to my boyfriend for free as he was saying he needs a new phone but was wanting the most expensive contract ever (he isn't into the money saving like i am so everything is kind of I need it now! and now I'm broke).

I wiped the phone, charged it and set it up for him, all for him to say he didn't want it anymore because his games wouldn't sync from Android to iPhone so it isn't worth the hassle..... so I'm going to put it on Ebay to add more to my 3-6 fund. Ill hopefully put it on tonight for a week and have abit to add next week :D

Soph x
    Mortgage Feb 2023- £249,210 MFW 2023 #20: £524.05/£500 (104.81%)
  • DreamerHelen
    Morning Everyone..... :)

Nothing to Report for me.....but all is fine right now....

sophieo16 - I've Updated the First Page.....You're doing BRILLIANTLY!! Aww your Parents are so sweet to buy you an I-Phone.....Sounds like you're doing great at the moment.... xXx :)
  • Morning Everyone..... :)

Nothing to Report for me.....but all is fine right now....

sophieo16 - I've Updated the First Page.....You're doing BRILLIANTLY!! Aww your Parents are so sweet to buy you an I-Phone.....Sounds like you're doing great at the moment.... xXx :)

Thanks Helen. They are very sweet, i told them they should have saved the money for their next trip or treated themselves but they said i don't ask for much so thought they would treat me. Its probably because i keep treating them to days out since becoming debt free just to say thank you for all the bits and bobs they have done for me as a teenager really. That and there are quite a few people in the family that only come around for money or when they want something, I'm the only one that doesn't. it just goes to show really.

I have got the momentum at the moment. My mam got little ill whilst she was in Florida and is going to do a few hospital appointments etc, but hopefully when she starts feeling better we can do some more carboot sales to up the funds :)
    Mortgage Feb 2023- £249,210 MFW 2023 #20: £524.05/£500 (104.81%)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure