Travel credit cards

Comments

• NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    a_semkin wrote: »
    Re Creation Everyday credit card: my friends took it last month specifically for foreign cash withdrawals. They are now abroad and it only allows them £300 a day (which is low compared to Halifax Clarity £500 daily limit, but at least this info was clear from the application). However there seems to be one more limit for cash withdrawals - it's only £500 A WEEK.

My friends found out when they couldn't get cash on their 3rd day of stay, and started calling Creation call centre only to be told about weekly limit. They even settled their previous withdrawal via internet banking - no, still need to wait for a week to get the next portion of money.

So, Creation is not exactly a good one, if you are going to a country where most payments are done in cash.

Thanks for the info.
    Incidentally, which is the country in this instance?
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    I'll make a note not to spend silly amounts of cash on holiday and pay with card in future.
  • They recently approved me and I always pay in full.
    Not sure why they'd want that though - they won't make much money off me.

They offered a pretty high limit, but before final approval I had to phone them and they quizzed me about all my other available credit.

I've had the Creation Mastercard for several months. Issued it with no fuss. I am a pensioner with a couple of company pensions and modest investment income and always pay off my balances in full.
    Their practice of showing a foreign transaction fee which they then discount is cumbersome and perhaps suggests the discount will be dropped when they have built up the business.
    Also have had the Halifax Clarity card for several years and have had no problem with this and have often maintained a credit balance before a foreign trip.. However on a recent trip to the USA I found it impossible to find an ATM which did not impose a transaction fee at the point of use - typically $3.00 on
    any amount. This applied to ATMs within banks as well as in hotels and airports. This seems to be a recent development which I did not encounter on US trips in 2010-13..
  • Tharweb
    Tharweb Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I had the trial Supercard for ATM withdrawals previously but will only use this for purchases abroad from now on due to the 2.99% ATM charge it now imposes. I also currently have a Nationwide FlexPlus debit card.

I have been trying to decide whether it would be worth it for me to get either a Creation Everyday or the Halifax Clarity.

I have decided against the Creation as there appears to be a weekly limit of £500 cash withdrawal and I may need more than this to fund a family holiday.

I have tried to compare how much it will cost me in real terms. As I understand it, if I withdraw €1000 using the Nationwide I will be charged £853.71 (I believe Nationwide uses the Visa exchange rate which today is £1 = €1.1713500000).

The credit card eligibility calculator indicates I would get the Clarity at 18.9% APR. Therefore, if I withdraw €1000 using the Halifax Clarity card, which I believe uses the Mastercard rate, I would be charged £840.13, (Mastercard exchange rate currently £1 = €1.190291), providing I used on-line banking to pay of the balance on the same day.

However, if I don't get chance to use on-line banking, I would incur at the most approximately £12.60 in charges (@18.9% APR using the guide £1.50 per month per £100). £840.13 + £12.60 = £852.73, which is £0.98 less than Nationwide charge.

Worst case scenario £853.71, best case scenario £840.13, £13.58 difference. Am I missing something?
    This site has saved me a fortune :money: ...it's also cost me a fortune! :doh:
    © Tharweb 2006 :D
  • NiftyDigits
    Tharweb wrote: »
    I had the trial Supercard for ATM withdrawals previously but will only use this for purchases abroad from now on due to the 2.99% ATM charge it now imposes. I also currently have a Nationwide FlexPlus debit card.

I have been trying to decide whether it would be worth it for me to get either a Creation Everyday or the Halifax Clarity.

I have decided against the Creation as there appears to be a weekly limit of £500 cash withdrawal and I may need more than this to fund a family holiday.

I have tried to compare how much it will cost me in real terms. As I understand it, if I withdraw €1000 using the Nationwide I will be charged £853.71 (I believe Nationwide uses the Visa exchange rate which today is £1 = €1.1713500000).

The credit card eligibility calculator indicates I would get the Clarity at 18.9% APR. Therefore, if I withdraw €1000 using the Halifax Clarity card, which I believe uses the Mastercard rate, I would be charged £840.13, (Mastercard exchange rate currently £1 = €1.190291), providing I used on-line banking to pay of the balance on the same day.

However, if I don't get chance to use on-line banking, I would incur at the most approximately £12.60 in charges (@18.9% APR using the guide £1.50 per month per £100). £840.13 + £12.60 = £852.73, which is £0.98 less than Nationwide charge.

Worst case scenario £853.71, best case scenario £840.13, £13.58 difference. Am I missing something?

Yes...you are. You are forgetting that the time between withdrawal and automated payment can be up to 55 days, not 30.
    You can set up Standing Orders or one off payments for dates in the future if you feel that you won't have access to Internet or telephone banking whilst on holiday. That can act to reduce or eliminate interest. Plus you'll have one less thing about which to be concerned whilst on holiday

If within the SEPA, there are also Metro Bank debit and credit cards.
  • new2allthis
    new2allthis Posts: 44 Forumite
    edited 15 July 2016 at 12:14AM
    Apologies if this is the wrong place for this. I just followed the link from:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards

Ok, so I applied and was accepted for a Creation Credit Card. I went for it, rather than Halifax Clarity, due to the slightly lower APR.

The card arrived quickly (good!), but no pin (bad!), although I was able to use it successfully and with no problems to book a hotel and buy travel insurance online (good!). Being so busy - entirely my oversight, I acknowledge - I didn't realise that the pin hadn't come until just before I went on a short-break holiday abroad. I rang Creation's customer services, which was not a satisfactory experience (bad!). All they could do was re-issue the pin, apparently, which would take 7 working days (bad!). I'd be back from my holiday before the pin arrived. [No helpful service like NatWest where you can get cash from an ATM using an app on your smart phone that generates a code that you type into the ATM keypad (a brilliant facility - only had to use it once but it was a lifesaver!).] Although he said he'd ordered it, whether the adviser did ever re-issue it or not, I don't know. All I can say is that it never arrived, so I have not received a pin for the card in the whole time I've had it (bad!). All in all, it meant that I couldn't use my Creation card abroad for purchases where chip & pin is used or for cash withdrawals (bad!), which were the reasons why I had wanted it in the first place.

The hotel I booked overcharged me by more than the original cost of the booking. I'd booked it through Booking.com and so used them to sort the refund, rather than Creation. [As an aside, although the Booking.com customer service advisers were a bit hit and miss - one useless, one excellent - it did ensure that the hotel refunded me.] Nevertheless, I kept Creation informed as the payment due date was approaching. I made a manual payment to cover all the expenses on my card that were due with the exception of the disputed hotel charge. The Creation adviser told me that, if the hotel made the refund after the payment due date, Creation would refund any interest charged to my account automatically (good!). This did not happen (bad!). Fortunately, I was keeping an eye on the account and saw it was not being refunded. I emailed Customer Services to query this and the interest was refunded in full and backdated to the date it had been charged to my account (good!). I was pleased that the situation was rectified, but annoyed that I had to chase Creation to get it to do something that was supposed to happen automatically.

My first statement came through the post (good!). Personally, I like getting postal statements - I find them a very useful reminder to check my account. I also like having an online facility and save electronic copies of all my statements for reference purposes. I don't know why but, as a reminder, getting an email to say I have a new statement waiting online just doesn't have the same impact as getting a statement through the letterbox.

Although I had received my new card, there was nothing with it (as I recall) about setting up an online account to monitor it (bad!). To be honest, I then forgot about it until I got something through the post or by email that gave the impression that an online facility had been set up. I couldn't remember doing it, but thought perhaps it had been done automatically by Creation as part of setting up a new customer. If so, that would be great, I thought. I looked on the website and tried to access the account that I had inferred had been set up from the correspondence I'd received. No joy! I can be a bear with very little brain sometimes but, after a little while, it did occur to me that I might have misunderstood the standard letter I'd received but, being on the site anyway, it seemed a good time to register for an online account. Not a straightforward process (bad!) and I had to ring customer services to be talked through it (bad!) as I found it not very straightforward, in fact, rather confusing (bad!).

What was not at all clear, but which I found out much later, was that the very act of registering for an online account means that the option of receiving paper statements was automatically and instantly turned off (bad!). Apparently, or so I was told the other day by a customer service adviser, you can have an online account OR statements by post, but NOT both (bad!). I was not aware that this change had happened - it was not at all clear or obvious (bad!) - and, again, had I not been checking my account regularly, I could easily have missed the next payment date because, for some reason that I don't know/understand, a direct debit was never set up (bad!).

I like to have an online access so I can manage my account how and when I want, without having to deal with or rely on other people. I've been with Creation for all of 3 months and had to ring customer services far too often (bad!). The service has been ok at best and downright unhelpful (bad!) when I realised just before I was due to fly off on holiday that I had no pin and so my primary means of accessing foreign currency and making purchases abroad was not actually available to me. The standard correspondence is unclear at best, well I found it really quite confusing (bad!) and, as I've said already, have never received a pin (bad!).

Overall, I've been underwhelmed by the service provided by Creation and found that it does not meet my needs, so, I have closed my account. I will be applying for a Halifax Clarity Credit Card instead.

In my opinion, Creation Credit Card scores 2.5 out of 10.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Creation offer several credit cards; I assume the poster is talking about the Creation Everyday card.

I normally don't read 1,025-words-long messages assuming they are rants, but I spotted this:
    ... entirely my oversight, I acknowledge ...
    and similar.

I have had the Creation Everyday card for longer and am happy with it. FWIW, I have online access AND monthly statements with no problems.
  • NiftyDigits
    Apologies <snip>.

You appear to be really unlucky.
    The PIN for my card arrived days before the card.
    Since I entered my email address during the application, I received multiple prompts to sign up online. I didn't find it confusing.
    My direct debit was setup as expected. As usual, one should always make the first payment manually. Same with every CC account.
  • Tharweb
    Tharweb Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yes...you are. You are forgetting that the time between withdrawal and automated payment can be up to 55 days, not 30.
    You can set up Standing Orders or one off payments for dates in the future if you feel that you won't have access to Internet or telephone banking whilst on holiday. That can act to reduce or eliminate interest. Plus you'll have one less thing about which to be concerned whilst on holiday

If within the SEPA, there are also Metro Bank debit and credit cards.

Thank you for your reply. I don't use automated payments so the longest it would be before I cleared the balance would be 15 days, ie as soon as I got home.

My point was, I don't think it is worth me getting a Clarity card to save £13 odd on a £800 odd withdrawal of cash, I just needed confirmation I wasn't missing something.
    This site has saved me a fortune :money: ...it's also cost me a fortune! :doh:
    © Tharweb 2006 :D
  • I replaced my Halifax Clarity card after reading of the Creation card on MSE. I had been underwhelmed with the Halifax customer service typically finding very long call queues when trying to get through to them.
    I found the Creation application straightforward and everything arrived promptly. Like a previous poster, I wrongly assumed I was registered for online access and had to call in for assistance to be told I needed to register! I found the person on the phone helpful and then simply registered online myself.
    Happy to recommend them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure