Florida DIY Trip Checklist

Comments

• nirajn123
    nirajn123 Posts: 198
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Why the US and not Europe or the UK ?
    Being my mind for a long time, we might do a short trip to Portugal at some point before the Summer ends. Been to Spain few times (for work and holidays) and twice in the last year - compared to US where I was over 15 years ago last.
  • nirajn123
    Forumite
    stevie11 wrote: »
    I think you have made the right choice. Travelling from central Fl to the Gulf Coast then through the Everglades to the keys is Ok for two adults but wouldn't be much fun for the child IMO.

If you base around Orlando you could at least have days out say to each coast, Busch Gardens or Space Kennedy for example.

Have a good holiday.
    Thank you. And yes, that is the idea. The only worry now is that the holiday I have spotted is only a week long, wondering if that is too short - one can never win - must make a decision soon .. tick tock.
  • nirajn123
    Forumite
    EssexExile wrote: »
    As has been said, lots in central Florida. Both coasts are easily accessible. It's nice to say you've been to The Keys but it's not somewhere I'd get too excited about. Personally I love the gulf coast, pop into Fantasy of Flight museum on the way there or back from Orlando.
    Ok, I will check that. Thanks
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    nirajn123 wrote: »
    Thank you. And yes, that is the idea. The only worry now is that the holiday I have spotted is only a week long, wondering if that is too short - one can never win - must make a decision soon .. tick tock.

A week for your first Florida trip is probably too short IMO. By the time you arrive at your accomodation it will be late afternoon early evening. Day 2 you may be tired from travelling and want to take it easy. That gives you basically five days to go and explore. When I started going to Fl I would play and explore one day then have a relaxing day the next. A week doesn't give you much time unfortunately.

Only you can make that decision.
  • debsy42
    debsy42 Posts: 1,735
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    We drove down to the Keys from Orlando, it took us 11 hours so you really can't underestimate the drive. We didn't have a Sun Pass so couldn't go on the toll roads as they don't take cash so the Highway 27 was our only option which is like an A road, Once you get on the Keys it's about 2.1/2 hours drive to Key West which is mega busy, expensive and there's nowhere to park, we stayed on Sugarloaf Key which is a couple along.
    ITV Winners Club #87 :eek:
  • nirajn123
    Forumite
    stevie11 wrote: »
    A week for your first Florida trip is probably too short IMO. By the time you arrive at your accomodation it will be late afternoon early evening. Day 2 you may be tired from travelling and want to take it easy. That gives you basically five days to go and explore. When I started going to Fl I would play and explore one day then have a relaxing day the next. A week doesn't give you much time unfortunately.

Only you can make that decision.
    I've gone ahead and booked it. We will see how it goes. I do dream of a cruise to Bahamas so will cover Keys next time around. I guess 8 days is better than none - which is where I was just a week ago. The only thing wife is interested in is shopping, I assume there will be plenty of time for that.
  • nirajn123
    Forumite
    debsy42 wrote: »
    We drove down to the Keys from Orlando, it took us 11 hours so you really can't underestimate the drive. We didn't have a Sun Pass so couldn't go on the toll roads as they don't take cash so the Highway 27 was our only option which is like an A road, Once you get on the Keys it's about 2.1/2 hours drive to Key West which is mega busy, expensive and there's nowhere to park, we stayed on Sugarloaf Key which is a couple along.
    This is exactly I did not wanted to risk it, couple of weeks are too short to read about all the pitfalls. Hopefully this shortish trip will be useful for the next one. :j
  • Have you booked your flights yet?

It's sometimes actually cheaper to buy a flight + car or flight + hotel package. At the very least, flight + car is usually cheaper than buying the two separately.

I've had a few BA flight + luggage + car (within Europe) deals which were cheaper than BA flight only!
  • nirajn123
    Forumite
    Have you booked your flights yet?

It's sometimes actually cheaper to buy a flight + car or flight + hotel package. At the very least, flight + car is usually cheaper than buying the two separately.

I've had a few BA flight + luggage + car (within Europe) deals which were cheaper than BA flight only!
    Yes, I went for the package - £550pp incl. Fights, Hilton Homewood suite (incl. Breakfast), mid size SUV, Gold insurance which incl. full tank fuel & all charges paid for (I probably should have shopped around for this one but I don't want to complicate things for a last min holiday) and Airport parking. - Same price I paid for a weeks holiday in Spain and way way cheaper than a Dubai one, years ago.
  • nirajn123
    Forumite
    Please could someone help with the SIM cards. I heard you can buy one while there - both me and wife have iPhones, can we just buy local SIM from a shop/walmart - what is the minimum I can get away with spending? This would simply be for calling each other (and not back home).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure