PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Amenity Land

Comments

• I'm really not getting this. Do you live next to it? If it's in the middle of nowhere, why can't you let your dogs off the lead anywhere there or in the acres of woodland? If you are happy for people to use the land when your dogs are on it, it can't be because your dogs are dangerous. Surely it would be easier just to train your dogs to come back when you call them.
  • I'm really not getting this. Do you live next to it? If it's in the middle of nowhere, why can't you let your dogs off the lead anywhere there or in the acres of woodland? If you are happy for people to use the land when your dogs are on it, it can't be because your dogs are dangerous. Surely it would be easier just to train your dogs to come back when you call them.

Its in the middle of nowhere.

You may want to cast your eye over this:
    http://sibesandsleddogs.org.uk/why-cant-huskies-go-offlead/

Siberian Husky's cannot EVER be let off the lead. Unless you want your dog to be shot or run over. They do not have recall. No amount of training or similar will make these amazing animals come back.

They need a minimum of a 6ft fence, with preferably a double gate.

in case you don't want to read it:

"This is one of the constant questions raised about Siberian Huskies.

You would think it would be enough that: every responsible Siberian Husky owner will tell you that it is not safe to let a Siberian Husky off lead in an unenclosed area, every ethical Siberian Husky Breeder will tell you that it is not safe to let a Siberian Husky off lead in an unenclosed area, every single Siberian Husky rescue organisation IN THE WORLD will tell you that it is not safe to let a Siberian Husky off lead in an unenclosed area; and that every single Siberian Husky Club IN THE WORLD will tell you exactly the same thing.

Now these people and organisations don’t take this line for fun, or to “big up” the wild nature of their dogs, or to try to keep the breed exclusive. They take it because it accurately reflects the bitter experience of thousands of owners worldwide over a long period of time.

However, this obviously is not enough because there are still a steady stream of people who just don’t believe this unanimous and ubiquitous message. "
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    rjwr wrote: »

However, this obviously is not enough because there are still a steady stream of people who just don’t believe this unanimous and ubiquitous message. "
    I think it's more likely that they just haven't ever heard it.

'Amenity land' is the way agents describe rough, uncultivated, largely unfarmed plots of land. As this doesn't mean that it's some kind of public or visual amenity, you'll probably be OK fencing it against deer. ;)

The only people you are likely to offend slightly are those who go through the land to reach somewhere else on their walks, but if there are alternative routes, that's no great inconvenience.

If there are no public rights of way involved, I don't see many problems arising, beyond those any of us with land in the countryside have. If people frequently walk there, just have your insurance sorted to cover third party injury. Companies like NFU Mutual do it.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,659
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    So you need a 6ft fence around this land?

You would be better off looking for a small field of agricultural land. Cut it twice a years for silage and it's still agricultural, even if you let you dogs run loose from time to time. And it's a "stock proof" fence so no need for PP on agricultural land.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Go to the local planning portal and see if their us any history.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,503
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Even if you fence it you could leave the gate or gates open when the dogs aren't running free.

In my corner of the world there used to be someone with 3 sibs who were used to pull a wheelchair. I was never quite sure whether the occupant of the wheelchair really was disabled or was just imaginative enough to turn a bit of suburban London into the arctic in her mind.
  • Fair enough; if other people have access how are you going to deal with them opening the gate while your dogs are running loose and letting them out?
  • Davesnave
    Forumite
    ProDave wrote: »
    So you need a 6ft fence around this land?

You would be better off looking for a small field of agricultural land. Cut it twice a years for silage and it's still agricultural, even if you let you dogs run loose from time to time. And it's a "stock proof" fence so no need for PP on agricultural land.
    Wouldn't a pasture field cost a lot more, assuming one could be found that is similarly small? Pony paddocks aren't cheap. And who would want to make an acre of hay or silage, unless they were already cutting very nearby?

It's a nightmare getting small fields cut in some locations. Maintenance is another issue, or in 10 years you end up with.....'amenity land!'
  • heres the land:
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-67326707.html

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Bayton,+Kidderminster/@52.3677134,-2.4171103,221m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487060ed5fe35dcf:0xbfd2f1107f9a4cab!8m2!3d52.356304!4d-2.45013

the field does not lead to anywhere. The only thing you can do is walk into it and walk out of it. Its not used as a point of access. As you can see by the map, surrounded by woodlands and other green
  • Davesnave
    Forumite
    OK, well, it's pasture land, not what I'd call 'amenity land' at all. Someone has been taking a hay crop and giving it enough attention to keep it free from docks, thistles etc. It could be fenced properly, though its situation means a 2m deer fence might look very out of place.

There are two neighbours with expensive-looking properties that will have an interest too, I'd imagine, and the £5k guide price is very fanciful for something that would take Jemima's pony.

Not my area but I would say £20k, minimum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure