Bought car with heated windscreen, doesn't have one

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 November 2017 at 7:25PM
    AdrianC wrote: »
    The patent was for the very, very thin heating wires covering the entire viewing area - which the Triplex ones don't. They also draw a heck of a lot more current, so clear quickly.

You mean like this one? It's even got the wiggly wires. US Patent granted to the General Electric Company in 1973.

US3778898-1.png

The Triplex Safety Glass Co US patent application with wires going to the edge...

LAMINATED TRANSPARENT PANELS INCORPORATING HEATING WIRES Original Filed July 15, 1963

US3440408-0.png
  • marfy
    marfy Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Does yours look like this...?
    800px-Opel_Corsa_Switzerland_front.jpg
    (Old model, won't have heated screen)

...or like this...?
    800px-2016_Opel_Corsa_EcoFlex_5-door_%28CH%29%2C_front_right.jpg
    (New model, will have heated screen)

Not quite like either but more like the first one judging by the shape of the bonnet, though the headlights are the same shape as the second.

It looks like the one on this ebay listing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-Vauxhall-Corsa-LIMITED-EDITION-Petrol-red-Manual/253166028922?hash=item3af1df087a:g:Hs8AAOSwOrxZw0Lh
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    PUT you VIN Nr. into the de-coder to find out the exact build date and all the specifications/options/extras that the car left the factory with.

https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Opel

and before anyone comments - yes Vauxhall = Opel ;)
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Just an addition to the conversation:

My wife has a 2011 Land Rover that has a heated windscreen so they are definitely more widely used than people think.

I would have thought if you have one fitted when it is none standard, your insurance company would def need to know as it may affect any excess payable for windscreen replacement/repair
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    JamoLew wrote: »
    Just an addition to the conversation:

My wife has a 2011 Land Rover that has a heated windscreen so they are definitely more widely used than people think.
    Bear in mind LR were part of Ford from 2000-2008, so they did get the quickclear screens much earlier than non-Ford brands.
  • Gloomendoom
    edited 30 November 2017 at 9:52AM
    Bear in mind LR were part of Ford from 2000-2008, so they did get the quickclear screens much earlier than non-Ford brands.

They were offering heated windscreens long before Ford bought them.

Standard on most 1990 model Range Rovers or a £149.50 option. They were also available on Discoveries and 90/110s

116n8ls.jpg

I actually own a 1972 range Rover with one fitted. It was probably fitted after manufacture but I have owned it since the early 1990's.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    They were offering heated windscreens long before Ford bought them.

I actually own a 1972 range Rover with one fitted. It is probably an option fitted after manufacture but I have owned it since the early 1990's.
    The Triplex ones have already been mentioned.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Fascinating stuff... I had vaguely read about the Triplex ones but didn't know others were around until the Ford Quickclear - maybe that says something about Ford's advertising power? I have it on my Focus III and it's worth it - not just for defrosting but for fast de-misting on damp autumn mornings and evenings. So if it's a deal breaker for marfy then perhaps a) get as much money back from the dealer as possible - pointing to the ad b) look to flip the Corsa quickly for a slightly later model with the screen or a Ka/Fiesta that has it?
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Gloomendoom
    edited 1 December 2017 at 1:58PM
    The Triplex ones have already been mentioned.

Are they Triplex? They look exactly like the Ford ones with wiggly elements covering the full screen. This is a close-up pic of the screen on mine.

Edit: Had a look last night. It is a Triplex screen.

ek5n9k.jpg

They were advertised as Rapid De-Icer Heated Front Screens.

1989 Range Rover brochure.

148df79.jpg
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    If the advert stated heated windscreen and the dealer confirmed this, I'd be wanting a heated windscreen.

I have a 2007 Ford CMax and LOVE my heated windscreen! I wouldn't buy a car without one now! So much quicker getting on frosty mornings.

Speak to the dealer and see if you can reach a compromise.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure