BT broadband Haggling thread

Comments

• phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    markbmcfc wrote: »
    I go on the Plusnet website this morning and the 33.50 package has dropped to 29.99 for a 7 day offer. Got on live chat with them and they've agreed to reduce my price to todays price.

As you are within the 14 days cooling off period they'll do that to avoid the hassle of you cancelling and then signing up again. But make sure they do it. Plusnet are notoriously bad for doing things they say they will do.
  • hawkwind
    hawkwind Posts: 237 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hasn't ofcom said caller id will be free by October 2018 anyway?
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 December 2017 at 12:51PM
    hawkwind wrote: »

That is a long way off, I expect to have switched ISP twice by then.
    jem16 wrote: »
    There may well be but what if there isn't?

it's been 9 months since sky last put up their prices & inflation is marching on. The only way sky aren't going to raise their prices in the next year is if the economy tanks so bad that they are stunned into making no changes.
  • JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Caller display is tied to the line rental not BB .
    If you have renewed now then it expires in 12 months . As line rental is monthly you should have no problem.
    Going to be another price rise before 12 months is up judged by the past .

That's the thing though, the broadband package with the price fixed for 18 months includes the line rental and some phone calls. The line rental is not a 12 month contract. I can't see any justification for having caller display on a different length contract.
  • That's the thing though, the broadband package with the price fixed for 18 months includes the line rental and some phone calls. The line rental is not a 12 month contract. I can't see any justification for having caller display on a different length contract.

...and another thing. If I'm 12 months into my 18 month contract (inl line rental) how do I sign up for another 12 months line rental? Would that be 6 months on top of my 18 month contract or another 12 months after my 18 month contract finishes?
    It doesn't make any sense.
    I'm going to have words with BT to see what they say.
  • xman
    xman Posts: 95 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Totally agree with you. They should maybe offer a 18 month line rental saver if they want to push the 18 month deals.

I managed to get a 12 month deal, so have a word but more likely just start switching providers
  • hawkwind wrote: »

I didn't know that! Just checked and it seems you're right. Thanks for the heads up.
    However, what happens to people who are mid contract?
    If I sign the 18 month deal that BT are offering me now, I am agreeing to pay £1.75/month for caller ID from Dec '18 onwards. I suspect that Ofcom's ruling would only take effect with a 'new' contract. Or do you think that all charges for Caller ID would cease in October 2018 for everybody regardless?
    It's not that I don't trust BT you understand...
  • I didn't know that! Just checked and it seems you're right. Thanks for the heads up.
    However, what happens to people who are mid contract?
    If I sign the 18 month deal that BT are offering me now, I am agreeing to pay £1.75/month for caller ID from Dec '18 onwards. I suspect that Ofcom's ruling would only take effect with a 'new' contract. Or do you think that all charges for Caller ID would cease in October 2018 for everybody regardless?
    It's not that I don't trust BT you understand...

Well I phoned BT. My blood pressure rose steadily as their automated answer machine didn't understand what I was saying. Not a good way to start a call.
    I eventually got through to a UK call centre and had an exceptionally good experience. I'll say that again; "I PHONED BT AND HAD AN EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD EXPERIENCE!". I've never said that before. Hats off to whoever has managed to get their customer services sorted out.
    Anyway, 18 month deal signed; Caller ID discount not a problem - promised that this can be renewed without needing an extra 12 month contract. In fact Emma volunteered the fact that it would become free anyway during next year. I was given an extra discount off my mobile phone deal and I haven't been able to find a better broadband deal anywhere else. I might just have to stop slagging off BT from now on. Well done to them.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Caller ID discount not a problem - promised that this can be renewed without needing an extra 12 month contract.

Wasn’t what I was told and I spoke to 3 different people about it. All said that I could get Caller ID free but would have to agree to another 12 months line rental. This was in October.

In fact the person I was negotiating with promised me a 12 month contract which then turned into 18 months and he didn’t do as he’d promised.
  • deutsch
    deutsch Posts: 398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 December 2017 at 1:13PM
    From the recent price rise email, I was offered £28.99/month for 18 month contract (Just fibre and phone). When I phoned through to retentions, this was the same offer and the adviser wouldn't budge and said they wouldn't price match.

Contract itself runs out in April.

Currently this morning, it looks like Plusnet is the one for me (I did mention this to him). £24.99 / month (18 month contract) + £25.00 set up and minus £70 Topcashback. Even without the TCB, it's still cheaper.

The only difference is speed (BT) 76 v (Plusnet) 38 which isn't something I'm too bothered about.

I've now initiated a switch for 17th Jan. Whilst going through, there was 12 months line rental saver (£2/month), so this made it cheaper.

Here's hoping BT respond with a better offer. Still, nothing to lose.

This bit thoughin BT's email price increase:
    "[FONT=&quot]You don't need to do anything but if you want to change something, please give us a call. If you want to leave and you're within your minimum contract term, you'll need to call us within 30 days of receiving this email to avoid paying a charge for leaving early. You'll need to give us 30 days' notice to leave (or 14 days if you're switching to a new provider). We won't charge you for any increase in price during that time. "

[/FONT]
    I asked the BT guy if I needed to do / say anything and he said no. Should I trust the BT guy or call back and say the switch has been initiated? (or wait for BT's email?)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure