Lowest Possible Wattage for LED Bulbs

Hi all,
New to the forum but not new to money-saving. I'm looking to REALLY minimize energy costs for my house & my (many) LED bulbs are currently 4-6W so there is some improvement to be made. The lights are on a LOT.

The question is - what is the lowest one can go? I can't really seem to find any bulbs of B22 or GU10 below 3W - do any 1W bulbs exist? Lumens aren't an issue. My family doesn't need loads of light in the evenings when we're winding down.

Cheers :beer:

Comments

• EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Google 1 watt led. Loads of them.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Any savings you make are likely to be negligible compared to the cost of the bulb.

Assuming a light is on for 6 hours a day, 365 days a year (seems unlikely) then changing a 6w bulb to a 3w bulb would save you 6.57kWh a year.

Using an average cost of 12.5p per kWh that’s a saving of 82p. Even a cheap LED bulb is going to cost £3 or so, a decent one at least £5, so assuming a lifespan for 3-5 years of an average quality bulb, at best you’ll recover the cost of the bulb.

If you’re already using LED bulbs then I would focus your money and energy saving efforts elsewhere!
  • philadams wrote: »
    I'm looking to REALLY minimize energy ... The lights are on a LOT.

Why not turn them off a bit then ? Don't leave lights on during the day, don't leave lights on in rooms you're not using, make sure all lights are switched off when you go to bed.
  • Shrimply
    Shrimply Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Using an average cost of 12.5p per kWh that’s a saving of 82p. Even a cheap LED bulb is going to cost £3 or so, a decent one at least £5, so assuming a lifespan for 3-5 years of an average quality bulb, at best you’ll recover the cost of the bulb.

So cost wise it doesn't make sense and from an eco-friendly point of view throwing away perfectly good bulbs is probably worse than the extra energy used to run them...
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I don't see the point of changing unless you find the current light bulb are too bright.
  • Shrimply
    Shrimply Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think that's the point I was trying to make...;)

I was thinking that the motivation for the original post was either to try and save money, or to be environmentally friendly.

I read your point as answering the question in regards to the potential savings. And was suggesting that from en environmental point of view it made no sense either. But maybe I missed your point a little.

In any case we both agree that there isn't much to be gained from replacing the bulbs regardless of the motivation :beer:
  • Shrimply wrote: »
    I was thinking that the motivation for the original post was either to try and save money, or to be environmentally friendly.

I read your point as answering the question in regards to the potential savings. And was suggesting that from en environmental point of view it made no sense either. But maybe I missed your point a little.

In any case we both agree that there isn't much to be gained from replacing the bulbs regardless of the motivation :beer:

I deleted my post as it wasn't really adding anything to the discussion, but seeing as you responded before I had the chance to, yes I was mainly referring to the cost savings (OP did refer to energy costs). You also make a good point about the environmental waste of discarding perfectly good bulbs. :)
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    If there is too much light take some out.

If you want real low levels of ambient a couple of carefully located strips would do the job use them and turn the others off

There will be times you need some decent light.

When we are settled we turn the main lights off and just have couple of reading lamps point at the walls/ceiling.
  • Thanks for the feedback guys.

It's a large home with probably 25 bulbs right now and parts of the home are used for various work environments where lights are kept on.

I am also looking for the lowest power bulbs as my grandma is still on 5/6 x 100w old school ones and she wants me to sort it out for her. I thought I'd go for the best there is as she doesn't have much money these days.

As for googling "1 watt led", yes I have tried that and, no, there aren't any that come up, at least not in bulb form.
  • philadams wrote: »
    I am also looking for the lowest power bulbs as my grandma is still on 5/6 x 100w old school ones and she wants me to sort it out for her. I thought I'd go for the best there is as she doesn't have much money these days.

100w old school bulbs are 1400+ lumens, if you replace them with 1w LEDS (about 200 Lumens) it'll be like turning day to night for her.

got for some decent 6w+ led bulbs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport