Dropped Kerb

Hi All,

I want to drop a single kerb 'unit' opposite my driveway which will enable me to get my second car onto my driveway a little easier. The kerb 'unit' I refer to (because I don't know what to call it) is literally about a meter long (max). When I contacted the council about it, they have said I have to submit an application with a fee of £70. They will review it and if approved, the council provide a quote for the work which I then have to pay. Is this normal?

The fee im not surprised about, but having to pay the costs of doing the work is a surprise. The person on the phone told me the drop kerb should be at least half the width of the house - which it isn't. So I would have thought I pay the fee for them to review, but why should I have to pay the costs to do the work when the drop kerb doesn't agree to the standard lenght?

Has anyone had any experiences they could share?

Thanks.

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It's work you want done, for your convenience and enjoyment ... so it's no surprise that you have to pay for this convenience and enjoyment.

It'll cost you about £1000 or so ... the alternative (you not paying) would mean some little old lady round the corner, rubbing her two pennies together to feed her tiny cat, no car at all ... would have to pay her entire annual council tax over just so you could benefit from all that luxury parking area for your second car to be just a little easier for you to use.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,877
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    As above. Why on earth are you surprised that you would have to pay for the work?

What next? Would you expect the council to pay to widen your driveway as well? Or perhaps build a garage for you?
  • If you wanted to make a slight drop from the parking area and this was entirely on your own land then you could do this work yourself without having to pay anyone.
    This however, is the case with a dropped kerb.
    The kerb is the responsibility of the local council and they will want to make sure that the work is carried out properly and safely and the best way for them to do this is to either do the work themselves or get one of their approved contractors to do it and this is something that the householder would be expected to pay for as the work being carried out is to benefit them.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ps124 wrote: »
    ...The fee im not surprised about, but having to pay the costs of doing the work is a surprise. The person on the phone told me the drop kerb should be at least half the width of the house - which it isn't. So I would have thought I pay the fee for them to review, but why should I have to pay the costs to do the work when the drop kerb doesn't agree to the standard lenght?

Councils may have a preferred (or minimum) length of dropped kerb, but there is no such thing as a "Standard length" and the advice about it being at least half the width of the house is complete nonsense - that would depend on how wide the house/garden is for starters.

If I understand your post correctly, what you think is the council should pay the cost of making the dropped kerb wider because it is less than the 'standard width'. It doesn't work that way. If people want any adjustment to the highway then the council would normally expect to recover the cost of doing the work and legislation gives them the powers to do so.

The 'unit' of kerbing is simply called a 'kerb'. And if you want the dropped kerb just one metre wider then the work involved is relatively minor. But you must apply to the council to get the work done, or seek their permission to employ your own contractor (depending on their policies). If you decide to go down the DIY route you might find yourself with a very big bill to pay. Expect to pay between £200 and £500 for the work, depending on the council's policies.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • EachPenny wrote: »
    Expect to pay between £200 and £500 for the work, depending on the council's policies.

You'll be lucky.

Usually north of £1k.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You'll be lucky.

Usually north of £1k.

For one kerb length addition to an existing crossover?

But as I said, it depends on the council's policies, some will treat it as minor rechargeable works rather than a full crossover application.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • ktate
    ktate Posts: 114 Forumite
    i paid to have my kerb dropped whilei was in hospital and having chemo when i felt better i contacted the council has it was a meter short the original dropped kerb was about £650 i thought they would have come and done the extra meter has anyone can see that they didnt compleat the job but now they want £399 to replace 1 kerb stone so has im still undergoing treatment i couldnt be botherd to chase it up but yes i think if your having a dropped kerb make sure you either mark it out or stand over them and make sure they do the right amount of dropped kerb for you
  • ktate
    ktate Posts: 114 Forumite
    i paid to have my kerb dropped whilei was in hospital and having chemo when i felt better i contacted the council has it was a meter short the original dropped kerb was about £650 i thought they would have come and done the extra meter has anyone can see that they didnt compleat the job but now they want £399 to replace 1 kerb stone so has im still undergoing treatment i couldnt be botherd to chase it up but yes i think if your having a dropped kerb make sure you either mark it out or stand over them and make sure they do the right amount of dropped kerb for you
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    EachPenny wrote: »
    Councils may have a preferred (or minimum) length of dropped kerb, but there is no such thing as a "Standard length" and the advice about it being at least half the width of the house is complete nonsense -

Most councils have very controlled widths nowadays, mainly based upon the size needed for vehicular access. our council for example don't allow a drop wide enough for two vehicles any more, nor an in and out drop.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    A wooden wedge is a lot cheaper.....
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport