Nest confusion

Options
Fireflyaway
Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
I have a Nest pension. My former employer was paying in but now I've left them I thought I might carry on and make my own contributions.
I logged on and fiddled about with the calculator to see what sort of pension various contributions would get me and was very surprised.
I set my retirement date for 30 years ahead with contributions of £1000 per month ( not saying I would pay that much) and it stated the pot was £48k with an annual income of £1900. I know I have to think of inflation but surely that can't be right? If I just saved I'd have £360,000 in the bank.
Am I misunderstanding something here?

Comments

• Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That can't be right or no one would invest in it. Are you sure you have input the right figures?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    and it stated the pot was £48k with an annual income of £1900.

What assumptions were used? The key is always in the assumptions. They have probably taken inflation into account to give you a todays spending power. There will be a growth rate (which could potentially be lower than inflation if set too low. There will be an income rate. Possibly based on low assumptions.

If you dont know the assumptions then any figures out of a calculator are pointless. The assumptions could be reasonable of they could be completely misleading.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Fireflyaway
    Options
    Thanks both. It stated it was based on ' today's ' rate, which I take to mean the equivalent of current spending power but all the same it seems extreme. Why would I save 1k a month for 30 years to end up with a pension of £158 a month?! Might try some other calculators.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    All calculators would give the same result if the same assumptions are used. So, make sure you read the assumptions.

£1000pm for 30 years is £360,000. So, ignoring growth and inflation (assume they cancel each other out) and that is an income at 3.5% of £12,600. That is a crude measure but probably more useful than many of these calculators that use assumptions away from the average.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The figures are clearly wrong. Are you sure you didn't put £1,000 a year rather than £1,000 a month?
  • IanSt
    IanSt Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options
    Am I misunderstanding something here?

I've used the calculator that I found there https://www.nestpensions.org.uk/schemeweb/NestPublicWeb/faces/public/BE/pages/pensionCalculationPublicArea.xhtml and it looks as though you've definitely put in an incorrect piece of data somewhere.

When I enter your values in I get a pot of £659k and yearly income of nearly £22k.

I'd guess the most likely areas to cause this are : is the salary being put per year or missing a zero in the £1000, or maybe you entered an incorrect value as the date of birth or retirement age?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure