Update to firefox

My Firefox has suddenly updated itself tonight to an all new singing & dancing version. I dislike change because I'm rubbish at understanding anything technical but it's selling itself to be super duper fast & ready for the advents :D

I did have both Referrer Control & refcontrol as add on's. I much preferred Referrer (green logo), from memory Target domain selected & refcontrol disabled

Question for the techies ? Both are no longer supported by this new updated version so where do I go from here ? Is there a suitable replacement ?

Comments

• topaz13
    topaz13 Posts: 156 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Mine updated, disabled all of my add ons and lost all of my comping folders too!
    I waved it bye bye and changed to Chrome, which is much faster and still supports all of my add ons, although I am not running the ones you mention, so don't know if they are available on Chrome.
  • ness13
    ness13 Posts: 8,278 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I'm so glad it's not just me experiencing this!
    It might be a little faster and I'm willing to work with the (unnecessary) new features, but it's ruined a lot of my Add-Ons, particularly Autofill. Very annoying.
    I'm reluctant to shift to Chrome full-time as I do like Firefox.
    Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none.

An eye for an eye only leads to more blindness.
  • lynwestie
    lynwestie Posts: 492 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 18 November 2017 at 10:10PM
    Me too! The speed is good as my mags had been hanging & freezing with the new videos but I don't like change when I haven't got the time to try & understand a totally new layout.

I do have Chrome too & have been swapping between the two this last couple weeks whilst Ive had the freezing problems but I'd really become fond of firefox!
  • Badrick
    Badrick Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Managed to turn mine back to version 56.0 and prevent it from updating again, as my Roboform saved data wouldn't update to work with Firefox Quantum and most of my security add ons and form fillers were disabled with no alternatives available as yet.
    They'll have to get a lot more compatible addons before I'll be updating.
    Mark Steyn has stated, "In the UK, everything is policed except crime."
  • Might see if I can do the same then Badrick. Was it easy enough to do?
  • Daphne01
    Daphne01 Posts: 22,145 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The one ad on I miss is Lazarus, it hasn't been updated since FF 32 or there abouts :(
    A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others.

• lynwestie
    lynwestie Posts: 492 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 19 November 2017 at 12:17AM
    Ok managed to turn it back & set it to ask me before it updates

Spoke too soon! It's gone back to Quantum again! No idea what I did or didn't do properly. Give up tonight I think.
  • I think you need the extended support version of Firefox 56, and then disable automatic updates. Apparently only about 19% of add-ons and extensions will work with Firefox 57.

It's only a temporary fix though, only a matter of months, so you do need to find alternatives.
  • I think so. My old version isn't working well either. Just hanging & freezing. Been like it for a week or two. Tried refreshing it, no difference.

It's either the new version without my referrer Control or the old version & lots of patience.

Back over to Chrome maybe for the time being until there's a solution
  • Painkiller
    Painkiller Posts: 6,146 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    What about a firefox-based browser like Comodo IceDragon?

https://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-toolbars/icedragon-browser.php
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport