Teacher told child she could wet herself

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    jondav wrote: »
    And during that conversation, a responsible mother would explain to her daughter how to be prepared, how to be discreet and how to make sure that they don't have to skip out of class just s few minutes after having a break.

As a responsible adult, I've had to leave meetings suddenly to get to the loo quickly when a period started.

Not every woman has regular, low-flow periods.
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Don't be ridiculous.

A young girl of this age who has started her period will have (or should have had) that conversation with her parents, at least her mother.

And during that conversation, a responsible mother would explain to her daughter how to be prepared, how to be discreet and how to make sure that they don't have to skip out of class just s few minutes after having a break.

They will have to learn to deal with periods sooner or later - why not start now??

Mollycoddled, spoiled kids are the reason this country is in such a mess - they expect everything to just go their way and the worst thing is the parents back them up!!

Are you male? Once in school, in the summer, I wasn't allowed to go the toilet for the above reason. Wasn't much over 11. Summer dresses were stupidly white with grey stripes.

Got into huge trouble for wearing my cardigan tied around my waist. Point blank refused to take it off. In the end, I got sent home after ringing my mother in tears as I didn't want to tell the teachers the reason why.

I don't think this is about spoiled kids to be fair.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • KateySW
    KateySW Posts: 107 Forumite
    edited 12 July 2017 at 3:58PM
    Don't be ridiculous.

A young girl of this age who has started her period will have (or should have had) that conversation with her parents, at least her mother.

They will have to learn to deal with periods sooner or later - why not start now??

Mollycoddled, spoiled kids are the reason this country is in such a mess - they expect everything to just go their way and the worst thing is the parents back them up!!

Sigh...

I'm going to skip over the weird comment about kids ruining the country because honestly the whole 'this generation is all that's wrong in society' thing is as old as flipping time and yawn (not to mention it's incredibly weird to make that comment in relation to girls learning how to deal with periods)...

So I'm just going to throw a wild card out there and guess that you've never had to deal with periods yourself...? Because if you had you'd know that unfortunately, as much as you can be prepared and have "learnt how to deal with it", sometimes it isn't enough. Sometimes it catches you out and it can be at the most inconvenient of times. Even as an adult. It doesn't happen every single time of course, but alas the beginning of periods cannot be neatly scheduled into a lunch break.

Needing to go for a wee and needing to deal with your period, really not the same thing. Going to the bathroom, yes, you can usually hold for at least some time. Periods, not so much. Biology, funny old thing ain't it?

N.B. very aware the OP's daughter didn't have her period, but just found that comment a tad ridiculous.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Lots of talk about periods but the OP's daughter wasn't having her period when she asked to go to the toilet.
  • Mojisola
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Lots of talk about periods but the OP's daughter wasn't having her period when she asked to go to the toilet.

But the teacher didn't know that.

A blanket rule that no child leaves the classroom during lessons is going to be a problem.

Having to declare to all why you want to go just isn't fair - and neither is going up to the teacher and whispering it because the other kids will still know why you're being allowed to go.
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite

This is true (we assume).

But the point is, is that she could have been. And unless she announced it to the teacher (and possibly the class), the teacher wouldn't have known.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 July 2017 at 4:04PM
    Anyway, who hasn't !!!!ed themselves in public at some point? It's character building.

God thought it was just me! ha ha. I still have flash backs to the holiday in grease when after too many beers and having been constipated, so subsequently taking far too many laxatives , I well lets just say if wetting yourself is character building I should be the most interesting person ever!!!! ha ha

Joking apart since when did having to go the the toilet for what ever reason become a cardinal sin???
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Mojisola wrote: »
    But the teacher didn't know that.

A blanket rule that no child leaves the classroom during lessons is going to be a problem.

Having to declare to all why you want to go just isn't fair - and neither is going up to the teacher and whispering it because the other kids will still know why you're being allowed to go.
    This is true (we assume).

But the point is, is that she could have been. And unless she announced it to the teacher (and possibly the class), the teacher wouldn't have known.
    Yes, the teacher didn't know that.
    Yes, she wasn't on her period.

So - imho only - discussion about what happens when someone is having their period and wants to go to the toilet is irrelevant to the OP's specific complaint..

TBH, a lot of this discussion sounds like 'think of the children'.
    Could have.
    Might have.
    But didn't.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    KateySW wrote: »
    Ahhh some real d!jà vu here. There's even the teacher who joined MSE today and is using a full name while she tells us about her policy on no toilet breaks...

The child should have taken off one of her plimsolls and used that in extremis.
  • Mojisola
    So - imho only - discussion about what happens when someone is having their period and wants to go to the toilet is irrelevant to the OP's specific complaint.

Where's the rule that says we're only allowed to discuss an issue in terms that are relevant to the opening post?

If a school has a blanket rule that no child is allowed out to the toilet during lesson times, a girl will eventually have an embarrassing incident.

Just because it didn't happen with the OP's child isn't a reason not to discuss it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure