Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback

Comments

• Citizens Advice Bureau just requires an address , just use your next door neighbour's house number for the actual comparison as it doesn't matter. Then go to the website for the chosen energy provider and only give them your real details,
    https://energycompare.citizensadvice.org.uk/
  • My last MSE big fix deal (with British Gas) is due to expire beginning of October - I had a quick look at current market comparisons & Increases across the board look horrendous ❗️ with all the major providers offering only a small discount against their standard tariff for a one year fix- (not much better with the small players ? Most of whom I wouldn't consider as customer service levels just aren't there) - that doesn't even get me through next winter. Can anyone from MSE advise if a new big fix in September with a reputable provider is realistic ?? If not should I just stay with BG & keep their smart meter as seems pointless to change to a new unknown provider for a minimal saving 🤔
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 August 2017 at 8:33PM
  • Overseer
    Overseer Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Green Network Energy.
    I've just moved energy from British Gas to Green Network Energy as shown on MSE's Cheap Energy Club, it was very easy using their website.I'll post my experience with them in due course.

BG has increased charges and although they installed a Smart Meter 3 months ago I have yet to see the benefit, apart from not providing meter readings. My account was not up to date even though the Smart meter takes/sends readings daily. It was months behind.
    I'll have to send readings monthly to my new supplier, but at least they will be £100's cheaper.
  • I'm lucky in securing a seniors bungalow via the local council.

I joined Martin's CEC and was glad to see what I might save.

Now the problem. Although free to change supplier for dual fuel, I must move, (under council rules) in under the current provider. I spoke to them, SSE and the meter is for economy7, even though it's normal gas heating with radiators.

Martin's estimate was £57pm. This E7 meter will charge me £110pm.

SSE will change the meter at no cost to myself. However I must obtain permission from the council, who if simply posting out the permission form will ten days to do so. Needless to say, I'm going in to fill the form there tomorrow.

If they take ten days to post a form, this switch could take forever and I'm paying double meanwhile for my fuel.

Then there is this problem.

If the Council give the go ahead for a different meter (sometime) and it's fitted, what is legal in changing suppliers after SSE fitted the new meter.
    Can I immediately change to someone cheaper after they fitted a new meter?
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,575 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm lucky in securing a seniors bungalow via the local council.

Now the problem. Although free to change supplier for dual fuel, I must move, (under council rules) in under the current provider. I spoke to them, SSE and the meter is for economy7, even though it's normal gas heating with radiators.

SSE will change the meter at no cost to myself. However I must obtain permission from the council, who if simply posting out the permission form will ten days to do so. Needless to say, I'm going in to fill the form there tomorrow.

If they take ten days to post a form, this switch could take forever and I'm paying double meanwhile for my fuel.

If the Council give the go ahead for a different meter (sometime) and it's fitted, what is legal in changing suppliers after SSE fitted the new meter.
    Not sure what your problem really is. Many suppliers will accept you on a single rate electricity tariff even with an E7 meter - they just add the reported day and night usage together to get the total used. You should check with the supplier you are thinking of moving to, to make sure they will accept an E7 meter on a non-E7 tariff though.
    How did you arrive at the £57/month figure? The only accurate way to predict future cost is to use your actual annual usage in kWh for each fuel. If you're new to the place, you won't have any usage history, but your latest bill may well show the previous tenants annual usage. THat should give you an idea how much energy you are likely to use, assuming you live the same lifestyle as the previous tenant(s).

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 August 2017 at 2:38PM
    I'm lucky in securing a seniors bungalow via the local council.

Martin has got his estimate widely wrong ;)

Or more likely, you propvided duff info on which to base an estimate.

What annual usages did you assume?
    What proportion is assumed used at low rate?
    What supply region are you in (or first part of postcode)

You can switch supplier any time you like.
    Beware early exit fees if you agree to a traiff that has them (but MSE CEC cashback may mitigate the cost significantly)
    Best not to apply to switch supplier whilst a change of meter is outstanding as the supplier may well cancel the change, but otherwise you can switch at any time :)

(Also not wise to switch when you have some types of dispute in progress - this depends on the nature of the dispute)
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    victor2 wrote: »
    Not sure what your problem really is. Many suppliers will accept you on a single rate electricity tariff even with an E7 meter - ...

Only a handful of suppliers will do this, and SSE are not one of them ;)
    They will, however, as the poster says, change the meter for free.
  • Morning folks

Today, I've requested a switch to Toto energy and the 100% renewable saver via MSE.

The comparison tool mentioned that there would be a further £50 credit applied if I have a smart meter installed. However, on the MSE form to switch there wasn't an option to request a smart meter to be installed (there was only one question asking if I had a smart meter already). As there is no request on the form how will the energy supplier know that I want a meter installed to get the £50 credit?

I only want to switch if I get the additional £50. Has anyone been through the process? How does it work?

TIA
    Cheers
  • OVO Energy good?

is it a good idea to tie into a 2 year contract? or should i remain with 1 year contact.

not sure what to do with Brexit and all, not sure if the energy prices will rise?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback