electric bikes & mopeds ( epac )

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Fit a hub motor to a standard lightweight bike, win win?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    Fit a hub motor to a standard lightweight bike, win win?

It's the hub motor and battery that adds the weight. Mine is 25kg.
  • forgotmyname
    Yeah the hub motor and battery adds weight to a standard bike. But the frame on that scooter style bike will weight a LOT more to start off with.

• RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    Oh, I agree.

This is mine,

51ZeckKM7VL.jpg

Aluminium frame, half decent components but at the cheaper end of the market.

Got it on the Cycle to Work Scheme so saving around 30% and as a commuting vehicle, ideal for me.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    There is another thing that would put me off that particular bike:
    "with batteries giving a range of 20 to 25 miles on a single charge."

If that "20 to 25 miles" is as accurate as many of the MPG figures given by car manufacturers, I'd expect the true range to be closer to 10 to 15 miles and possibly less if you are in a hilly area or riding at the top speed a fair bit.
  • forgotmyname
    I think there is an post where after 2 years they get 12 miles per charge.
    So 2 year old batteries will get you 12 miles.

I would say 30 miles would be a dream unless you have popeye's legs and pedal a lot.

• Annie35
    Annie35 Posts: 385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    ooh replies, thanks. See i dont want a bike, at all really. Id like a motorised-mobile of some description, but not a bike :D

See what your saying about road rage but scooters go 30 OR 60 & ragers gonna rage regardless. Incidently saw a young lad on a scotter getting intimidated by a road bike racer this weekend, haha, shouldnt laugh but geez the biker would be the first to complain if a car did that to him, so no ones safes from ragers eh.

I like the idea of a chunky body kit with lights, it 'feels' safer i guess & tootling along marsh roads with no street lights having indicators & a big shiny bulb at front can only be a good thing. There are a a couple of other models which look more like bikes thou. Also the double seat would be useful for dropping the big girl at the end of the road or school etc.

Ive watched some youtube videos from canada (they seem bigger over there) & they seem quite nippy & no complaints on mileage, i think youre meant to cruise & pedal when not needing the pull of the motor & you get further overal.

BUUUTTTT it seems dvla want 'type approval' (like a presale licence) on all post 2016 twist&go models, which the importers (that ive spoken to) dont do! So i'll keep half an eye on the 2nd hand market but it could be a bit of a non starter this really :)
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    A few months ago, I took a break from driving (currently in the process of finding a new motor as I've finally decided that living without a car is too much of a ball ache) and I actually looked at E-Bikes as an alternative.

In other countries, you can get 500W e-Bikes that travel up to 25-30mph and I liked the idea of one. However, in the UK, they're heavily restricted now and there are horror stories online of people getting driving bans thank to e-Bikes they've bought off eBay.

The fact the UK have almost banned them, makes me a bit cynical. Are they banned because they're dangerous? Or are they banned because they're essentially an untaxed method of transport and perhaps might have caught on? A 25Mph e-Bike would probably get me to work as fast as when I used my car, although not as fast as the train.
  • forgotmyname
    Its not about rage its about the fact they will expect you to move along much quicker than you can. So dont be shocked when they run over you.

And expect to be pulled over a lot due to no numberplates.

• Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Its not about rage its about the fact they will expect you to move along much quicker than you can. So dont be shocked when they run over you.

And expect to be pulled over a lot due to no numberplates.

I love the kind of ridiculousness in that statement.

Cars run you over because they expect you to move at the same speed.....

OR, cars don't run you over, because they're aware that you're a human on a bicycle and therefore hitting you isn't fair, nor legal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure