Is StepChange the best option?

2»

Comments

• DrWatson1 wrote: »
    I owe a similar amount of money to you (around £30k) and I'm also with Stepchange.

Overall I've found them pretty good. It does what it say's on the tin, and I've certainly no complaints.

However, I take a different view to paying my debts back. Over the last two years, I've tried to pay as little as possible to my creditors, and save whatever spare money I have. I now have around 6k saved up, which not only gives me some security if I need some money urgently, but I'm also now in a position to start offering F&F settlements.

I owe up to £8k to some of my creditors, and for two years they have been getting £5 per month. The way I see it, I have a far better chance of them accepting a lowish F&F settlement if I'm paying them £5 than if they are getting £100 a month.

In my experience, paying your debts off quickly isn't about paying them as much as you can each month. It's about adopting an approach that gives you flexibility and the greatest amount of leverage in any potential future negotiation.

That is exactly our approach. We're self managed.
    LBM 2/12/15 - total debt £62500:shocked::shocked::exclamati::eek:
    2/216 £29500 unenforceable.
    DMP - 1/9/16
  • Self managed if you want to call the shots. Looking like I'm going to have to find 2k in Jan Feb as been a bit rubbish collecting my annual mortgage payment (capital reduces annually) so we are not going without, but my creditors will. They will moan and call, but who cares. I've long since stopped worrying about my creditors, they get what I am prepared to pay.
  • TimeToDoIt
    TimeToDoIt Posts: 220 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Keep on going. Step change are wonderful.
    ~~I am debt free~~
  • DrWatson1 wrote: »
    I owe a similar amount of money to you (around £30k) and I'm also with Stepchange.

Overall I've found them pretty good. It does what it say's on the tin, and I've certainly no complaints.

However, I take a different view to paying my debts back. Over the last two years, I've tried to pay as little as possible to my creditors, and save whatever spare money I have. I now have around 6k saved up, which not only gives me some security if I need some money urgently, but I'm also now in a position to start offering F&F settlements.

I owe up to £8k to some of my creditors, and for two years they have been getting £5 per month. The way I see it, I have a far better chance of them accepting a lowish F&F settlement if I'm paying them £5 than if they are getting £100 a month.

In my experience, paying your debts off quickly isn't about paying them as much as you can each month. It's about adopting an approach that gives you flexibility and the greatest amount of leverage in any potential future negotiation.

Thank you for your reply. My partner says that he better pays it slowly without interest rather than throwing big chunk of money in 2 years to pay it off. Also banks are open to the negotiations later...

At some point I agree and understand it but want to be debt free so much :)

Thank you and good luck :)
    Loan £6700.00
    ISA £3000
    SAVINGS £2100
  • sash_berry wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply. My partner says that he better pays it slowly without interest rather than throwing big chunk of money in 2 years to pay it off. Also banks are open to the negotiations later...

At some point I agree and understand it but want to be debt free so much :)

Thank you and good luck :)

No worries, and thanks :)

The way I see it, if you make up some reason (hours cut, redundancy, going back to education, etc) why you have to cut payments to £50 pm (start by saying it's temporary, say 6 months, then string it out), you can save the £400 a month and in 2 years, you'll have £10k. This is more than enough to start offering F&F settlements with a reasonable chance of success.

So, you could be debt free in 2 years using this method. Obviously, the key is being disciplined enough to save the extra money - if you don't feel confident you can do that, then it's probably better to stay on your current repayment.

Good luck :)
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,834 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    DrWatson1 wrote: »

So, you could be debt free in 2 years using this method. Obviously, the key is being disciplined enough to save the extra money - if you don't feel confident you can do that, then it's probably better to stay on your current repayment.

Good luck :)

This is a good route to take, in fact its a method i`ve pushed quite a bit in the past on these forums.

You can save yourself a whole load of money doing it this way.

Making small payments encourages the lender to offload the debts quicker, once the debt collectors get a hold of them, the discount options can vary, but i have seen between 40-60% offered regularly, some even let you pay this reduced amount over time.

So i wish you good luck with it all Herr Doctor !!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Will never be able to praise Stepchange enough :)
    31st December 2004 - Debt was £128,596.72
    1st October 2016 - Debt Free
    12 years of Stepchange + PPI +F&F
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4862915
  • Will never be able to praise Stepchange enough :)
    NewcastlePaul,

Wow, just Wow!
    Well done!!! x
    Loan £6700.00
    ISA £3000
    SAVINGS £2100
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income