Baby feeding times

Options

Comments

• JULIE
    JULIE Posts: 210 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I've got 3 children. two are 11 and 10 both weaned around the 4 month mark. my newest arrival is 4.5 months. alot has changed in these years with regards to weaning. I read something from the world health organisation that in a babies 1st year of life milk is the most essential and food should just be about new tastes and textures rather than feeding to replace the milk.
    Its most commonly mentioned about the first 6 months to milk feed exclusively to reduce childhood obesity, allergies, and better for immature digestive systems

I would suggest that if its the milk she wants then thats better than stuffing her with even more food plus milk has all the nutrients she needs.

Ultimately you must do what's best for you both. x

Happy feeding!
    "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...
    until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it"

Harper Lee - To Kill A Mockingbird
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Junior Tide is only 75th percentile weight but quite tall, he was wanting more milk from very early on so has always been on Extra style forumla (i.e. Aptamil Extra), he's literally just moved on to the Forward(8.5 months), second stage milk and still seems fine(I've tended to buy milks based on energy content and it seemed to work for him). Maybe try on different milk and just split up the bottle and feeding times and see what happens, can always switch back.
  • mhairi05
    mhairi05 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Kit

Sounde to me like you and your baby are doing fine (I'm a dreaded Health Visitor!). Milk is still very important and your baby should be offered the 4 bottles a day, although the amounts may vary, as with baby Kit. Keep the bottles to mealtimes as you are doing.
    Babies of 6-12 months generally need about 500-600mls milk daily - milk in meals can be counted too e.g in cereal/porridge, cheese sauce etc.
    At around 8 mths your baby may lose interest in one of the bottles ( usually lunch or teatime) at which point you can stop it and offer water from a cup instead.
    Advice is that babies should be off bottles and on to cups by 1 year old - for their dental health.
    Hope this helps a bit.
    Titch :)
  • jellyhead
    jellyhead Posts: 21,555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    my baby's only 3 weeks old but my health visitor said last week that because he's a hungry baby i can give him the curd-based milk for hungry babies, they say not to give it to a baby weighing under ten pounds is all. i tried omneo comfort instead, it's a thicker milk designed for easier digestion, it's for sicky babies. but i'd imagine that you could use the hungry baby milk yes.
    52% tight
  • kit
    kit Posts: 1,678 Forumite
    Options
    mhairi05 wrote:
    Hi Kit

Sounde to me like you and your baby are doing fine (I'm a dreaded Health Visitor!). Milk is still very important and your baby should be offered the 4 bottles a day, although the amounts may vary, as with baby Kit. Keep the bottles to mealtimes as you are doing.
    Babies of 6-12 months generally need about 500-600mls milk daily - milk in meals can be counted too e.g in cereal/porridge, cheese sauce etc.
    At around 8 mths your baby may lose interest in one of the bottles ( usually lunch or teatime) at which point you can stop it and offer water from a cup instead.
    Advice is that babies should be off bottles and on to cups by 1 year old - for their dental health.
    Hope this helps a bit.

Thank you! I tried to vary the bottles today so that she didnt have them with her food but she didnt like it much and we both ended up stressed! Will keep giving her them with food as it works for us.

5/600 mls a day....... is that about 20 oz?
    2012 wins approx £11,000 including 5k to spend on a holiday :j
  • mhairi05
    Options
    1 0z = 30 mls
  • mhairi05
    Options
    Sorry about the last short message - I'm at work and was interupted.
    1 oz = 30 mls, but don't get hung up that your baby is taking a bit more than that - it's fine. As you gradually increase the amount of solids, her milk intake will decrease, but as I said before milk is still important so don't cut milk too quickly.

Jellyhead - it's difficult to comment on individual babies as they're all different (weight, height etc.) - your Health Visitor will know your situation so will be able to advise you better.
    Broadly speaking - babies have growth spurts at approx 4 weeks, 8 weeks, 12 weeks, etc. so at these times they usually demand feeds more often. This can often be seen as a sign that they are hungry. But if you go with it (e.g. feed 3 hrly instead of 4 hrly) it usually settles down again.

As far as I know research to support changing to hungry baby milks is limited, but it doesen't appear to be harmful. However, as you say, it is made differently from first milk - very, very basically the curds sit in the stomach for longer, it delays gastric emptying, so baby feels fuller for longer. Sometimes a change of milk can settle baby but don't count on it - maybe it's a growth spurt or unsettled for another reason! Omneo Comfort is designed for babies with colic as it has a lower lactase content so is more easily digested (makes poo nice and soft too!). Again - with some babies it works and some it doesn't.
  • kit
    Options
    Thanks to EVERYONE who helped me out - baby kit is very happy now her mummy knows what she is doing!!

She drank about 2oz of water today so things are looking up! I have cut her milk slightly and she seems happy enough.................maybe I am an ok mum after all :j
  • jellyhead
    jellyhead Posts: 21,555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    of course you're an ok mum lol!

growth spurt at 4 weeks is interesting, he's nearly 4 weeks but in the last 2 days has been really hungry, he must be growing, although last time he was weighed he was gaining a whole pound a week, if that's normal for him i dread to think how much will he gain during a spurt lol! i suppose the 4 week growth spurt is the reason why so many people say their babies were on rusks etc. at 3 weeks old, not just my parents/in-laws generation but people my age too. not that i'm considering it for roo of course, it just makes sense, my MIL has been hinting that my husband needed food at that age.
    52% tight
  • kit
    Options
    I know someone with a baby that is 10 days younger than baby kit. By 3 months old he was on 3 meals a day! By the time I started to wean baby kit he was eating the same meals as the family - roast dinners and all.
    I know a lot of people that have thought that their baby was ready to wean just because he/she was having a growth spurt.

Jellyhead - is your MIL the sort that knows 'best'? Unfortunatly mine is :rolleyes::eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport