The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

In need of URGENT advice...

Long story short, I am trying to purchase a new property. Have seen an independent mortgage broker who has organised our mortgage in principal.

Spoken with the agent to put forward a full asking price offer to then be told the following;

"We are unable to accept the offer as the we cannot confirm you have a mortgage in place, however if you come to have a mortgage appointment with us, we can then push this forward for you."

Is the legal? What can I do?

I'm concerned that I really want this property, but could lose to someone else who agrees to use their mortgage advisor?

Comments

• Fisa002
    Fisa002 Posts: 145 Forumite
    I wouldnt go down that road. If you have seen a mortgage broker then be patient. A DIP can be done on the same day ( at least mine was ) then just email them a copy. Speak to your broker for advice.
  • TheMoniac
    TheMoniac Posts: 17 Forumite
    edited 23 February 2018 at 4:19PM
    I think estate agents have a duty to record and inform a seller of any offer. If you don't trust the estate agent or think they are trying to avoid accepting your offer I'd give them a written offer also confirming the offer in principle from your mortgage broker.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,677
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Estate agents have an obligation to their customer (the vendor) to confirm you are good for the money. Your Mortgage broker confirming as much along with the Mortgage in principle is sufficient, there is no requirement to see their broker and the fact that they are trying to coerce you in to seeing their brokers with very emotive language is against the estate agents act 1979.

Page 8 - http://www.cimaglobal.com/Documents/ImportedDocuments/The_estate_agency_guide_jan06.pdf

Once you have made an offer, if it gets declined I would knock on the door of the vendor and just run it by them as they may not know their agent is playing stupid games.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Thanks guys, this is exactly what I thought was happening. They're essentially trying to bribe us by stating they will only accept the offer if we book an appointment through their mortgage advisor.

We have since emailed an offer to them and also asked how mortgage broker to contact the agent directly.

Is this all we can do?
  • Fisa002
    Fisa002 Posts: 145 Forumite
    You can also ask your mortgage broker to email them with your offer. Thats what I did. They did ask for proof of Dip with my broker emailed back to them and this was all sorted. EAs can be funny and coerce you into using in house mortgage advisors which I would stay well clear off. Have a chat with your broker and explain the situation. And if all else feels knock on the vendors door as suggested above and have a chat with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure