On maternity, not wanting to return to work - Looking for income ideas!

Comments

• One option would be to find a job that you can do in the evening - so that your husband can look after your baby (no child care costs), and as local as possible (no travelling costs). It doesn't have to be every evening. Thinking about people I know who do / have done evening jobs, they were:

Supermarket shelf stackers
    Petrol station cashier (I know someone who did this for 10 years and she really enjoyed it)
    Evening university library staff (they are usually open all night!)
    Evening staff for various care facilities (one I know worked in a home for people with learning disabilities) - usually very good pay (unsocial hours)

Why not have a talk to everyone you know about this; you may find ideas you hadn't thought of plus they may know of opportunities coming up.

Good luck.
  • Wizzbang wrote: »
    There's a sales leader trying to sign you up. I was a an Avon rep once, to be fair I diid it for about 10 years until they brought in sales leaders. You'll earn a pittance at it 20p per pound, before you have to buy all your catalogues, bags etc. It's not worth it now they force you to prostitute yourself everywhere (including this forum) to get new recruits. Stay well clear!

My, my.... aren't you the negative one! Surprised you admit to actually doing something so detestable for soooo long (albeit it sounds like it was 20 years or so ago or so ie if you're correct about doing it before Sales Leadership started).

Things have definitely changed since 'your day' (am glad to say) - without resorting to your level of insult allow me to correct you:

* 25% discount or more (I show my Team how to get more :))
    * No need to buy books (or any other 'overheads' at all if you don't want to or choose to run your own business totally online)

Lots of other advantages too. From your earlier post see you endorse ONE of the reasons why I am an Avon Lady: "I think a better use of your time would be .... to cut your household expenses" am glad we agree on something. Fail to understand, therefore, how you disagree that clicking into permanently buying household products, clothes, toiletries, gifts, shoes, make-up etc etc all at discounted prices with free delivery/returns and a full 28 No Quibble Guarantee is to be so scorned? :money:

Avon has actually enabled me to qualify for a full State Pension and filled the gap very nicely thank you in the years when my SP age was extended from 60 to 66. :j
    Make the most of everything in life (especially Avon ;))
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    It's just sickening to see how people get so sucked in. I was the same at one point in my life. It doesn't matter whether you meet a Virgin Vie rep, an Avon rep, a Body Shop rep, a Forever Living rep. It becomes their world and it's not healthy. The most important thing you need to understand is HOW much people hate your behaviour - it becomes all about selling them stuff at every opportunity.

Just look at what you've written above - you could have written a normal, helpful post but no, you made it all about Avon. You'll see other similar posts happen on this forum from time to time. They all get the same cringeworthy reaction and people telling them not to sign up. You'll know when your friends start avoiding you because you keep wanting to hold parties at their house, or your shoving Avon down their throat every time they mention anything normal, like going on holiday or having a job interview.

The OP is not going to help herself save money by being exposed to 3 weekly advertising of tonnes of stuff she doesn't need, through the brochures and all the extra bumpf you get sent as a rep. It all comes out your earnings too, so it's a really bad thing. Plus, when you compare their products elsewhere, you realise you can get better value in normal shops even on toiletries per 100ml, let alone their overpriced, nasty synthetic clothing. And all stores have returns policies, a month is nothing special.

You haven't mentioned she'll need to trawl the streets in all weathers, doing multiples trips for the people that aren't home, multiple trips to the bank for change. I mean, even if she has an online store - Avon's not going to pay for it all to be delivered to each customer, unless they spend a lot. And that's even if she picks up some customers, cos when she starts she'll be allocated a 'territory' and have to walk it multiple times, getting virtually nothing for it whilst she builds up peoples trust.

Then just let the OP watch their profits fall as people start to send stuff back. There are better places to shop, with loyalty schemes that actually give you something back. Where the OP doesn't have to take a personal risk on buying everyone else's toiletries etc for them (Which is what Avon don't tell you, but is written all over every order).

Pin money is what Avon is and you believe all the hype about President's Club, or whatever they call it now then you're as daft as every other person who falls for a pyramid selling scheme in disguise.
    My, my.... aren't you the negative one! Surprised you admit to actually doing something so detestable for soooo long (albeit it sounds like it was 20 years or so ago or so ie if you're correct about doing it before Sales Leadership started).

Things have definitely changed since 'your day' (am glad to say) - without resorting to your level of insult allow me to correct you:

* 25% discount or more (I show my Team how to get more :))
    * No need to buy books (or any other 'overheads' at all if you don't want to or choose to run your own business totally online)

Lots of other advantages too. From your earlier post see you endorse ONE of the reasons why I am an Avon Lady: "I think a better use of your time would be .... to cut your household expenses" am glad we agree on something. Fail to understand, therefore, how you disagree that clicking into permanently buying household products, clothes, toiletries, gifts, shoes, make-up etc etc all at discounted prices with free delivery/returns and a full 28 No Quibble Guarantee is to be so scorned? :money:

Avon has actually enabled me to qualify for a full State Pension and filled the gap very nicely thank you in the years when my SP age was extended from 60 to 66. :j
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• Wizzbang wrote: »
    It's just sickening to see how people get so sucked in. I was the same at one point in my life. It doesn't matter whether you meet a Virgin Vie rep, an Avon rep, a Body Shop rep, a Forever Living rep. It becomes their world and it's not healthy. The most important thing you need to understand is HOW much people hate your behaviour - it becomes all about selling them stuff at every opportunity.

Just look at what you've written above - you could have written a normal, helpful post but no, you made it all about Avon. You'll see other similar posts happen on this forum from time to time. They all get the same cringeworthy reaction and people telling them not to sign up. You'll know when your friends start avoiding you because you keep wanting to hold parties at their house, or your shoving Avon down their throat every time they mention anything normal, like going on holiday or having a job interview.

The OP is not going to help herself save money by being exposed to 3 weekly advertising of tonnes of stuff she doesn't need, through the brochures and all the extra bumpf you get sent as a rep. It all comes out your earnings too, so it's a really bad thing. Plus, when you compare their products elsewhere, you realise you can get better value in normal shops even on toiletries per 100ml, let alone their overpriced, nasty synthetic clothing. And all stores have returns policies, a month is nothing special.

You haven't mentioned she'll need to trawl the streets in all weathers, doing multiples trips for the people that aren't home, multiple trips to the bank for change. I mean, even if she has an online store - Avon's not going to pay for it all to be delivered to each customer, unless they spend a lot. And that's even if she picks up some customers, cos when she starts she'll be allocated a 'territory' and have to walk it multiple times, getting virtually nothing for it whilst she builds up peoples trust.

Then just let the OP watch their profits fall as people start to send stuff back. There are better places to shop, with loyalty schemes that actually give you something back. Where the OP doesn't have to take a personal risk on buying everyone else's toiletries etc for them (Which is what Avon don't tell you, but is written all over every order).

Pin money is what Avon is and you believe all the hype about President's Club, or whatever they call it now then you're as daft as every other person who falls for a pyramid selling scheme in disguise.

Apologies at the outset to OP for diverting this thread; my original post WAS meant to be helpful.

For the avoidance of doubt:

* There is NO NEED to trawl streets/have territory
    * There is NO NEED to do multiple trips to deliver
    * Customers pay for direct delivery, not Avon
    * Avon is not a pyramid selling scheme - THEY'RE ILLEGAL

You're so ill-informed! If you'd like to take this to another thread I'll gladly enlighten you.
  • MissPop
    MissPop Posts: 948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Wizzbang wrote: »

I had to unfollow my own sister on social media when she started selling Juice Plus because I couldn't bear the constant barrage of selling posts... :shhh: And she would get very defensive if anyone deigned to criticise the company ...

Make £2020 in 2020 - £263.78/£2020

2020 totals
    Swagbucks - £100 | Prolific Academic - £44.54 | Qmee - £10 | PopulusLive - £50

• Wizzbang
    Apologies at the outset to OP for diverting this thread; my original post WAS meant to be helpful.

For the avoidance of doubt:

* There is NO NEED to trawl streets/have territory
    * There is NO NEED to do multiple trips to deliver
    * Customers pay for direct delivery, not Avon
    * Avon is not a pyramid selling scheme - THEY'RE ILLEGAL

You're so ill-informed! If you'd like to take this to another thread I'll gladly enlighten you.

Enough said....Avon, Avon, Avon ad infinitum *rolls eyes*
    Minimalist

• Overlooking the negativity of wizzbang, does anyone have any more helpful advice for ChelleUK? Usually I find MSE forums very useful -as a Newbie posting for the first time I would hate for her to be put off.

Good luck ChelleUK; hope you achieve your goal. :)
  • jadexx10
    jadexx10 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Scredofdebt can I ask which company you use to do the mystery shopping please?
  • Wizzbang
    The most helpful advice has already been given, by the first two replies on this post, and Jayne C. As the OP has never even bothered to return in 10 days, not even to offer thanks, one can assume she wasn't really interested anyway. Quite rude really! People can never be bothered to go the hard graft themselves by reading Martin's guides, or the forum themselves. They expect people to spoon feed them. The few that do make money online, from home are the ones prepared to put in the effort themselves.
    Minimalist

• For those saying Kleeneze etc are scams and that you can't earn money, that's not really true. Me and my other half were members a while ago and while we did earn a little bit of money, it's far more difficult to earn big amounts than they make out when you join. So while it's not technically a scam, they're not very clear about it. But I've also learnt that it's hard to build with a product based business anyway. We got shut of Kleeneze a long time ago after we learnt that it wasn't reaping any rewards but it hasn't really tarnished my personal view on network marketing as a business idea. The one I'm in now is all part time and very good money if you give it a chance.

There are opportunities that aren't product based, no stock to buy etc. So I wouldn't personally rule them all out if you wanted the extra income.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure