Preparing for the biggest move of our life

Comments

• bellevie
    bellevie Posts: 873 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Ok so I finally have time and a clear head to update!

DD's birthday was brilliant, it was a school day but we had visits both weekend either sides so it seemed to go on forever.

DD had the present of her life for her birthday, although he wasn't actually ready to collect until the following week. We now have a new addition to our family! He is beautiful, and gentle and just lovely. Its as though DD has gained a 4 year old brother over night, I've never seen her have so much fun

Mr T (our puppy) did wipe out my savings as I had to pay a pet deposit to my landlord. The intention was to be perhaps over Easter or Summer, but a friend had some unplanned pups and well once I met him I just couldn't walk away.

He has settled in very well, is a perfect mix of hyper play for DD and long snoozes together. I have been coming home on my lunch breaks and have given my neighbour a spare key in case of emergencies. Ive only actually been at work a few days since having him as I had saved some annual leave.

Weirdly, I have slept a lot better since he has arrived perhaps because I am so tired with the 6am garden playtimes?!

Even better, since he has arrived DD's imaginary brothers / sisters have disappeared! It was becoming a real concern, the teachers wanted her to see a support worker after she convinced them she did have a little sister at home. I always thought she had a very good imagination, so have never been too bothered but the teachers said it was becoming a part of every day life, she would discuss them at every opportunity in the class room and they were concerned it would lead to bullying.

About a week later I was told about Mr T and the rest is history!

Its only been a couple of weeks he has brought so much joy to our house!

Now however I have got to quickly get back on track, I'm re-signing tenancy for 1 year - and will be looking to continue until I'm ready to buy - my target is 2019.
    In that first year I need to save enough should the landlord sell and I need to find something else - though they have assured me they are not looking to sell yet and were keen to know how long I would stay. I honestly could not afford to buy whilst I am paying out so much in childcare, so it kind of rules me out for the next 3 years at least hence the 2019 target!

DD was quite poorly over Christmas with the flu - started Christmas eve - today is the first day that she hasn't needed medicine for her temperature. It was pretty violent at night, at one point she was stripped, had had calpol and nurofen and it still stayed at 40 / 104. I thought I was going to have to take her to hospital but she was sobbing that father Christmas wouldn't come.

Eventually we managed to break the fever at least for long enough for a few hours sleep.

Back to work tomorrow for 2 days then we are off for 5 days.

Looking forward to taking Mr T for a little walk in the forest next weekend, we are very lucky to be surrounded so no shortage of walks around here!
    MFW
    Starting debt :£287,410 -11/2020

2022 Closing balance £271,402.45 

2023 closing balance £263140

Original end 11/2045 
    New end date :....... 

Overpayments to date £514.4 (1/24)

• MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Hello Bellevie and congratulations on your new addition. He sounds adorable and so lovely that your DD has settled in with him so well. Maybe her imaginary siblings were due to a certain loneliness that the puppy has fulfilled? It does bother me that teachers try to quell imagination, but I guess bullying is so rife these days that they don't like to take chances.

You're sounding pretty content, which is lovely to hear. I hope that now your DD's fever has broken that the 3 of you can enjoy a fantastic New Year.

MTx
  • Ohhh Belleive how lovely to have a new addition. We got our Mr D (3 year old staffie) back in May and although he has settled in very well he is a sad dog. He loves nothing but being as close as he can and sleeps on my bed every night. We think might have been abused as he hates loud noises and shouting even if it's me and dd messing about. He was bought for dd but he has picked me to do everything for him. Typical lol but I love him to bits.

Glad you had a nice Christmas even though dd was poorly. I hope she's feeling much better.

Take care.

Tink xx
    As of 31st December 2018 Total Debt = £15837.59
    DEBT 1 - £41.10 DEBT 2 - £257.41 DEBT 3 - £584.12 DEBT 4 - £700.00
    DEBT 5 - £655.02 DEBT 6 - £669.18 DEBT 7 - £3448.00 DEBT 8 - £2169.12
    DEBT 9 - £2964.25 DEBT 10 - £4349.39
  • I have just caught up on a few diaries and your news is absolutely fantastic!
    It has really put a smile on my face :)

It sounds like it's really the perfect thing for your daughter. How brilliant.
    * * * Catriona's Credit Card Countdown * * * from -£16k to debt neutraldom - for my debt diary click here
    Barclaycard -£5,867.52;
    mbna1 - 3,009.22
    mbna2 - 1,755.70
    Savings £5,017 MFiT #25 £2,627/£10k; daily interest £5.04
  • bellevie
    edited 31 December 2015 at 3:20PM
    Thank you all :)

I think it was definitely loneliness. I'm not the most exciting parent in the world, and whilst she has lots of friends over when they do go the house is very quiet.

Would you believe I started writing this message the day before yesterday in response to MT as I was home early after being called to collect DD. Her viral / cold suddenly started coming out at the holiday club, running eyes streaming nose although her temperature was gone she really wasn't right.

A good night sleep sorted that and she was well enough for her last day at the holiday club yesterday.

Anyway I must have left my laptop on sleep instead of shutting down and forgotten about it!

Yesterday I wasn't in the best mood, for the first night since he arrived Mr T woke ever 2 hours to play - despite going on his walks. I was dangerously tired at work I could have easily fallen asleep at my desk - last time I felt like that I'm sure DD was a baby!

We got back to a mess, my fault completely I had left his puppy pads within his reach (by accident) and they were all shredded all over the floor!

Anyhow today we are all in better moods having had a decent nights sleep.

Busy day today, took Mr T to meet my work colleagues, he loved the attention of course. He is a brilliant car traveller, asleep within minutes of getting in!

I then took some things to the dump that had been building up in conservatory, an old rug, broken parasol etc.
    Then onto food shop, we chose Morrisons today, I was quite surprised at the reasonable prices.

I know I have overspent this month mainly with vet fees and puppy treats / toys. Not enough to go over drawn, but lower than my 'safety net'

Still, tomorrow is a new month. I can start again!

Nothing planned for tonight, tv, cuddles and snacks - not sure we will make it to midnight though!

I hope you all have a fantastic evening / weekend, Happy new year to you all!
    MFW

Original end 11/2045 

• Hope you're having a lovely new years eve.

Take care.

Tink xx
  • bellevie
    edited 1 January 2016 at 12:03PM
    We had a chilled evening. Mr T & DD were asleep on the sofa by 9pm.

I managed to stay up. I tried to crash on the sofa but with the two fidgets I just couldn't manage it.

I also managed to witness Mr T's poop schedule due to being on the sofa, he was really good and nudged me each time he wanted to go, roughly around 9pm, then 11pm then 2am. I normally go to bed around 10.30 and in the morning always 2 surprises on the puppy pad - he doesn't always wake me to go out so I leave one in the bathroom, his bed is right outside - ie next to my room.

Im not sure if its the food causing the constant poops - its literally around 8 / 9 times a day. He will eat around 6am-7am then 12-1pm then 5-6. After this point I take away the food, conscious that it takes him round 4-5 hours to process it - though now it appears it takes him a lot longer.

I cant really feed him the evening food a lot earlier, I do it as soon as I get in.

Im going to be reading about a few different foods, see if I can maybe get some samples - I don't want to spend £20 a bag for it to go to waste!

We went for a walk this morning, since his walked we have met a fair few friendly dog walkers - I forgot how much I missed random chats!

Mr T loves the local park, there is a small lake surrounded by woodland which is where we go for his 15-20 minute strolls. As he gets a little older and able to cope with longer walks there are lots of other paths that have been recommended so I look forward to trying these out!

Nice little surprise in the post yesterday, £2 off a £20 shop at Sainsbury for the whole of Jan. That is actually my target (excludes dog food / personal hygiene), so if I can stick to my £20 budget I like the idea of saving £2 a week! If not, it will at least make January a little easier!

DD is upstairs listening to her little mix CD, Mr T is asleep beside me, worn out after his stroll so Im going to get reading on this dog food whilst I have time!
    MFW

Original end 11/2045 

• bellevie
    edited 2 January 2016 at 2:19PM
    I popped out yesterday, picked up a food the vet recommended salmon & potato. I managed to get a small bag so wont be wasting a lot if he doesn't settle on it.

I am hoping he does though as its a fair bit cheaper than the original breeders choice of food, and ingredient wise seems just as good.

Bumping into a fellow dog walker in the park, they recommended a local lady for drop in puppy visits / dog walks who lives down my road!

Im going to use the next 2 weeks as a test phase, come home every lunch time. If it works well and I can manage it, I will continue it.

I had the idea that I would get a dog walker once a week so I can have one day a week to pick things up, and it would also help if I am on a course - they do love a week long course at my work place, when its impossible to get back. I'd at least have someone Mr T knows to pop in every day.

My neighbour can, but in an emergency as she works too but is often home before I am.

Having a look at my spreadsheet it will eat into my initial savings payments. It wont stop me from saving, if I just do it once a week, but it just might mean not saving as much as I want to.

If I remember rightly, my first dog I kept coming home every lunch time until he was around 8 months old. At that point his morning & night walks were enough and he slept all day long, not even waking when I came home for lunch. Im hoping this little man follows in is pawprints!

Exciting news at work, they are expecting a vacancy in the department I done some overtime in this year. As well as a salary increase, the role is mobile working, a lot of visits then typing up notes on the go, or going home early and wrapping up there so they have to be in the office once a week. It could also mean I can cut back on childcare costs - well term time at least if I can get back to the school say 2 x a week by 3pm, that would save £22 a week!

I know a few people that have declared an interest, so competition will be tough but I have to try!

At the very least, Im now very well known at work, I hope in a positive light so there may be roles in other departments on the same level that I could have a good shot at.

Right, back to my spreadsheet - I do love a new spreadsheet :)
    MFW

Original end 11/2045 

• RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,875 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    oh sounds great Bellevie - you're in a really good position if you already know the department and the team know how good you are!

Enjoy your spreadsheet and puppy time :) - also just thought, you know there is a pet board on this forum? If necessary it might be worth asking about recommendations for good value, high quality puppy food?

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • Hi Bellieve. How did Mr T cope with the fireworks. I'm glad I stayed in as Mr D was a quivering wreck. We were up and down all night eventually getting to sleep around 5am.

It took us a while to get his poop schedule under control when we got him as he had been in a rescue shelter and I guess they can do it anywhere there. I've pretty much got it to a tee now and we have hardly any accidents. I was told by a dog trainer that we went to that it takes about 8 hours for food to go through them.

Hope DD's feeling better now. I feel for her as I'm just starting with a cold.

Tink xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business