Bitcoins

Options

Comments

• Satoshi
    Satoshi Posts: 253 Forumite
    edited 22 November 2013 at 10:31PM
    Options
    To understand the difference between money and currency and the history of both this free video series is excellent. He doesn't mention bicoin but it is exactly what we are talking about.

This is episode one, I think episode 4 is the best and there are more coming ...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyV0OfU3-FU

4 mins in the definitions of money and currency, which definition does bitcoin fit in?

Bitcoin is currency not money.
  • dryhat
    dryhat Posts: 1,305 Forumite
    Options
    It's no coincidence that people who are "anti-gold" or "anti-bitcoin" also tend to be people who celebrate rising house prices as a good thing.

And what it comes down to, and the reason for their antagonism, is leverage.
    "Normal", everyday people without capital and reliant on borrowing for their investments only have property with which to make any real "money" and they despise anyone "normal" for making money through other means to which they have no access..
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Satoshi wrote: »

This video talks about some interesting problems with the financial system, but it's wrapped in scaremongering and hyperbole that only serves to sell more gold. For example claiming that the way fiat money works is a secret that nobody understands: I've never known anyone that would refuse to understand that fiat money has value because of the government backing. Are there really people that think fiat has intrinsic value?

Also based on the definition in that video, bitcoins are money.
  • Satoshi
    Options
    This video talks about some interesting problems with the financial system, but it's wrapped in scaremongering and hyperbole that only serves to sell more gold. For example claiming that the way fiat money works is a secret that nobody understands: I've never known anyone that would refuse to understand that fiat money has value because of the government backing. Are there really people that think fiat has intrinsic value?

Also based on the definition in that video, bitcoins are money.

I would debate both those points with but please watch the other episodes of hidden secrets of money first.

Bitcoin is an unbacked currency just like fiat, historically there is 100% chance of going to its intrinsic value of nothing.

Government backing does not give it any intrinsic value, just as bitcoin non governmental or any backing whatsoever does not give it intrinsic vale. If it was backed by something, then it would have intrinsic value of whatever it was backed by. Therefore unbacked currency can not be a long term store of value which makes it currency NOT money.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I would debate both those points with but please watch the other episodes of hidden secrets of money first.

If you have a link to a series that is not designed to create panic and encourage people to buy into gold and silver then I would like to watch it but this video series appears to only be interested in selling me on gold. If you want to buy into what they're saying that's fine and maybe they're right that gold is where people should put their money, but the way that it's presented is not worthy of using as a point of reference for anything. That episodes goal was to encourage me to buy gold, it wasn't to educate me.
  • csm888
    csm888 Posts: 112 Forumite
    Options
    Bitcoin is an unbacked currency just like fiat, historically there is 100% chance of going to its intrinsic value of nothing.

That doesn't make any sense, Dollar, Sterling have not historically gone to nothing, 100% is just plain rubbish. Or am I missing your point?
  • Jonbvn
    Jonbvn Posts: 5,562 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dryhat wrote: »
    "Normal", everyday people without capital and reliant on borrowing for their investments only have property with which to make any real "money" and they despise anyone "normal" for making money through other means to which they have no access..

My vote for the most arrogant post of the year.:cool:
    In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot:cool:
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 November 2013 at 11:29AM
    Options
    dryhat wrote: »
    It's no coincidence that people who are "anti-gold" or "anti-bitcoin" also tend to be people who celebrate rising house prices as a good thing.

And what it comes down to, and the reason for their antagonism, is leverage.

Depends what you mean by 'anti' if you simply mean won't invest, then I certainly fit the bill. I like property because over the long run it provides me with both income and capital gain. I have nothing against those that want to invest in PM or Bitcoin, it's just that I don't want to.

With regards to your 'despise' comment, I think that you need to look at yourself, I really believe that it is you who has a chip on their shoulder towards property investment. Personally I am only concerned on how my investments are doing, I really don't care if you or anyone else makes more out of Bitcoin. Although I happen to know from your posts that you have not, but it wouldn't matter to me in the slightest if you were worth 10 times what I am, why would/should it?

I don't wish you bad luck either, as far as I can see it wouldn't affect me if you went on to make millions from Bitcoin, so good luck to you. But Bitcoin and PM's are not for me, it isn't impossible though if we were in a boom and gold really crashed in value that I might invest a small % of my portfolio, in the hope that in the following recession it might become a bubble, but my interest is limited to that scenario, and it would be limited in scope to 'a small punt'.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • Satoshi
    Options
    If you have a link to a series that is not designed to create panic and encourage people to buy into gold and silver then I would like to watch it but this video series appears to only be interested in selling me on gold. If you want to buy into what they're saying that's fine and maybe they're right that gold is where people should put their money, but the way that it's presented is not worthy of using as a point of reference for anything. That episodes goal was to encourage me to buy gold, it wasn't to educate me.

Wrong actually if you watch it all he does not recommend gold because it is so plentiful now, there are millions of tons of gold in play. But yes everything you say is true about silver.
  • Satoshi
    Options
    csm888 wrote: »
    That doesn't make any sense, Dollar, Sterling have not historically gone to nothing, 100% is just plain rubbish. Or am I missing your point?

OK sorry the only fiat currencies that have not gone to nothing are the current ones still in use today. But they are guaranteed to be worthless in the future.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback