Muchin's diary of recover; becoming debt free and being happy

Options

Comments

• rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Hey hun :) I'm not even going to pretend I'll try to catch up on your diary as I'm really behind on loads & there is no way I'll ever catch up :o

Sorry to hear things have been a bit tough with your OH & hope the "clear the air" has worked & made things a bit easier - congrats on your sister being pregnant - you'll be an Auntie!

Take care of yourself too if ED thoughts are creeping in - I'm sure it's just with all the over indulging we all do at this time of year and it'll be banished once we hit the NY and get back to normal.

Wishing you a wonderful day tomorrow xx
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Munchin
    Munchin Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi Risin - thank you for your lovely comments. I can't wait until you start your new diary:D.

I hope everyone had a lovely day today:xmastree:.

I met a friend for a quick drink last night and although I didn't want to go as I was tired and grumpy I had a brilliant time.

I went to mass with my Mum and it was lovely to see my cousins with their children who were clutching their toys.

I went to my Mums today and met all my family but thankfully only 1/2 stayed for dinner. I'm not being mean but there isn't enough chairs or space if everyone stayed for dinner. Dinner was delicious but although Mum had cooked everything (assisted by me) she forgot to dish up the sprouts, carrots and stuffing (assisted by my sister). As the meal progressed one of us would notice we were missing something:D. One year she forgot to feed my sister:D.

Santa was good - I got a onesie:rotfl:. I tried it on and I look like a giant telly tubby but I think eveyone looks like a telly tubby in those things. I got some vouchers and chocolate.

I'm now sitting here with a large Baileys and OH is pottering about.

Tomorrow we have nothing planned and I could happily sit here with a Baileys and watch the world go by.

Spends front - got a chinese and a bottle of wine for dinner last night and gave £2.90 to charity today but that was all the change I had.

Budget

Purse................£61.01
    Bank.................£14.06
    Credit card.........£30/£200

• Munchin
    edited 26 December 2013 at 12:42PM
    Options
    Morning world:),

I've not really made much progress today but I'm happy sitting reading diaries.

I've set the budgets for January and I'm going to put £500 into savings:). I've joined the "save £12000 in 2014" challenge so I should be saving a bit more in January but I don't have it. I suppose I could live on air:rotfl:. I'm going to change my target to £10,000 which is still pretty scary but a wee bit more realistic.

I have loads of smellies, clothes and the cupboards are looking pretty ok.

2014 plans
    • save £10,000.
    • pack my lunch every day.
    • track all spends.
    • write shopping lists and stick to them :o.
    • save all £2 coins.
    • all beauty products to be used up before buying more.
    • use library & free kindle books - no more buying mags.
    • £10 spends a month for treats.
    I think that is enough for getting on with now:).

Budget

Purse................£61.01
    Bank.................£270
    Credit card.........£30/£250

Spends are approximately £64 per week.
  • Munchin
    edited 27 December 2013 at 1:51PM
    Options
    Hi all

Oh I had a lovely lie in today. I had plans to be out and about today but it is blowing a gale outside so that has kind of put paid to those plans unless the wind decreases. OH is dosed with the cold and is aching all over so that is another reason why we're not venturing far.

I was looking at holidays in Sept/Oct and I think I've found the perfect place - Turkey again but in a totally different area. I've looked at prices and the flights would be £392 each & then £490 accommodation each + £50 carparking + £20 insurance = £952. OK this is only a starting point and I can look round at other options.

My friend is just of the phone and she is getting over the flu - there must be a lot of sickness going about.

I need to peel myself of the sofa and do something today:)

• Munchin
    edited 28 December 2013 at 8:19PM
    Options
    Hi all

Bootcamp done and dusted today. I snuck onto the scales this morning - yes I know I shouldn't do this :obut I only put 1lb on over Xmas :).

I've subscribed to a thread "Learning to think like a frugal person" and hopefully this should help keep me on the straight and narrow for the year ahead.

I think I will have a big spend this year but save it to next year. I was looking at B&Q kitchens yesterday and am going to make an appointment for a proper consultation. I've talked about replacing the kitchen for about 10 years:o and I know we've had it for about 20 years and it's just a wee bit done. B&Q are doing a promotion at the minute which is 25% off and nothing to pay until 2015. I have a cousin who can fit a kitchen (family rates:)). I will have to save as much as I can to pay it of before 2015. I have no idea how much a kitchen is but I'm hoping for less than £5000 in total including painting and fitting. I've looked at prices on the net and I think if I do the painting myself and get my brother to do the tiling then it will be as MSE as I can make it.

Budget

Purse (2)...........£9.35
    Purse................£42.39
    Bank.................£285.21
    Credit card.........£30/£220
    Exercise............£50

Total - £386.95
  • Munchin
    Options
    Hi world

I've joined NSKs challenge for January so I've set my budgets for the month ahead. I'm lucky in that I only have 2 birthdays to buy for in January but I've already bought 1 present so only 1 to go. I'm going to my brothers for New Years day and will re-gift him a bottle of wine:D.

I might be going over to visit a friend in England but I will take that from my holiday spends. I'm going to resurrect the envelope system to help me make it through January in a frugal manor.

I have my second purse (pink pig - pressie from nephew:D) which will be my £10 on treats for myself.

Budget (Jan 2014:D)

Purse - £30.24
    Purse (2) - £9.00

Diesel................£30/£220
    Food - ..............£xx/£140
    Entertainment - .£xx85
    Exercise - .........£xx/£50
    Gifts - ..............£xx/£30
    Beauty - ..........£xx/£20

Total - .............£30/£545

Alcohol days... x/16
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Munchin I am super impressed that you managed *boot camp* in between the 2 holiday 'biggies' :D:D You are so very determined - I reckon you will be achieving every goal and challenge you set yourself in 2014.

I look forward to hearing all about it :D:D

Greying
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £8/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Munchin
    edited 31 December 2013 at 2:54PM
    Options
    Hi Greying - thank you for your positive words:). Did I mention that I couldn't move the next day after bootcamp:rotfl:.

2014 :hello:

So 2014 is almost on us and they are talking about New Years resolutions on tv. I don't tend to set them as I usually fail but instead there are things I would like to achieve in 2014 and this diary is a massive help.

In 2013 I almost beat this ED but I still have lingering image and mini binges which I want to get rid of. In 2014 I need to focus on avoiding diets (trigger), no weighing myself (trigger). I need to focus on trying to eat naturally with nourishing food and if I fancy a treat - have it, enjoy it and not feel guilty....... and not eat the entire fridge:D.

I would like to do more running and beat this injury which requires me to do what my physio says:o and not make excuses.

I would like to finish 2014 with a healthy savings cushion.

I would like to have moved into my new job and to be doing well in it (the moving part is outside my control but the doing my best is well within it).

I would like to visit friends more.

My brother in law asked me at Xmas what was my best moment of 2013 and I had to really think about it. I would like to have lots of "best moments in 2014".

On the spends front - I put more liquid gold in my car yesterday but that was it. I want to buy some chewing gum today (part of my beating the binge plan) and I will probably buy a take away with OH later. He is still sick so we will have a very quiet night in which I don't mind as my back is killing me. I hurt it by rushing after someone in the office yesterday - random I know:D.

If I'm not back on today have a great New Year everyone and I hope 2014 starts of on a positive note for everyone:D.

Budget (Jan 2014:D)

Purse (2) - £7.90

Diesel................£78.73/£220
    Food - ..............£xx/£140
    Entertainment - .£xx85

Total - .............£78.73/£545

Alcohol days... x/16
    SFD...............xx/20
  • Munchin
    Options
    Morning all & Happy New Year:hello:

I didn't spend much last night as OH is getting over his man flu and I had hurt my back (I have no idea how it happened but it is much better this morning). I spent £8.60 on a pizza (I couldn't believe how dear it was), OH did offer to pay for 1/2 but I said no (note to self - say Yes the next time:)). I had wine left over from Xmas so I had a couple of glasses of wine and we were both asleep by 11pm - old age:D.

I'm going to my brothers for dinner today and will take some re-gifted wine and chocolates - my first NSD of the New year hopefully.

Well I've just skipped through all my subscribed diaries and I'm ready and raring for 2014 to get going:).

I joined NSKs challenge again as it is a real kick start to the new year which is what I need.

Budget (Jan 2014)

Purse (2) - £7.90

Diesel................£78.73/£220
    Food - ..............£8.60/£140
    Entertainment - .£xx/£85

Total - .............£87.33/£545

Alcohol days... x/16
    SFD...............xx/20

• Munchin
    Options
    Hi all

Found this wee poem on another website and thought it would help:)

Don't Quit' by Jill Wolf

Don't quit when the tide is lowest,
    For it's just about to turn;
    Don't quit over doubt's and questions,
    For there's something you may learn.
    Don't quit when the night is darkest,
    For its just a while 'til dawn;
    Don't quit when you've run the farthest,
    For the race is almost won.
    Don't quit when the hill is steepest,
    For your goal is almost nigh;
    Don't quit, for you're not a failure