My no claims bonus is over 2 years old. Who will insure me?

Comments

• Thank you Quentin, your insight was most helpful indeed and you inspired me to stand up for myself - Aviva complaints are ringing me back and I am asking for a full refund. Surely as my application was online they have a contractual obligation based upon the information on their website..

Anyway the bottom line is that I needed the car insurance, so I phoned Adrian Flux (underwritten by Aviva as it happens) and they have taken my "almost 3 year old" NCD into consideration. Next year I will have my NCD back and will be able to take my pick.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    If your premium is higher via Flux, then apart from your full refund, ask them to reimburse you the difference (as they are responsible for you having to cancel through their false advertising!)
  • Good call ! Just for the record, is there an ombudsman if I hit a brick wall ?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Yes.

But you have to exhaust their complaints procedure first. See how you get on with the phone call (if it comes!), then if no good write in with the complaint.

Their complaints procedure will be set out in the policy docs.
  • I will post the end of the story here. I really do appreciate that you have been such help, and continue to be such a help, to so many. MSE.com is a truly wonderful website, and the individuals who dedicate themselves to this cause are true heroes. In this particular case, Quentin, thank you.

* Newsflash * Aviva have apologised to me on several occasions and admitted responsibility. They have given me a fresh insurance policy, including my almost-out-of-date NCD, with a discounted deposit and reduced installments. They are also giving me a refund, which they will deduct from the installments too. So there you go. Potentially, Adrian Flux had me over a barrel with monthly installments over £30 more expensive. Sometimes i guess it really is better the devil you know.

Aviva admitted it was their error. Two-fold. To begin with, their website hadn't been brought up to speed with the change in their company policy (from 3 years to 2 years). But also, when I made the original application, it was before the introduction of the new policy - but the policy had been introduced by the time Aviva received my proof of NCD. Ecky thump ! Talk about timing ! Essentially though, it all boiled down to the incompetency of the company and the staff therein..

When I wrote my initial experience/enquiry/complaint above, I was in a stinking self-loathing mood; ready to do some serious damage to something inanimate. But after a good nights sleep and after reading Quentin's reply, I became pro-active and eventually resolved the whole thing with Aviva. Ok, so I am still with Aviva - it will only be for one year and then I will change over with my 6 years NCD intact.

It is true to say that Aviva have a couple of rubbish web engineers/maintainers and customer service operatives who (with my assistance) created this mess in the first instance, but they also have a couple of good customer service operatives who managed to save the day.

And they all lived happily ever after. The End !

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
  • Hi there, Just wanted to say basicly the same thing happened to me near the same time.

checked online various places Aviva seemed the only one that allowed up to 3 years lapsed no claims from another company. processed online.

A month later received a letter via post asking for proof of no claims. so i emailed proof of 6 years with under 3 years old lapsed. received another letter a week later saying please ring for further consideration to your no claims.

So after ringing them i was told that insurance will not be accepted as they changed there rules on the 14th of November 2011 aparently i just missed it as i got insured on the 20th. So after speaking to several people as the first one never called back after saying they would i was told the same thing - i had no choice but have the policy canceled, after admin / cancellation fees and because technicly i was insured briefly i am now £100 out of pocket with no insurance with less than a month before my previous no claims is the over 3 years old.

Is that Aviva link that states 3 years old valid as evidence?
    (Even though i did find on the website somewhere it now showing as 2 years.)

Any advice what to do appreciated?

Any other brokers recommened?
    (Obviously will try Adrian Flux as last resort need my no claims refreshed so willing to pay a higher premium just so i dont loose all of them.)

many thanks in advance. Leon aka erbradio.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    It still says three years in the FAQ, but does now state two years in the quote, if you click on the help.
    Because it's ambiguous, I'd make a written complaint, and refer it to the FOS if they don't re-instate your insurance.
    I probably wouldn't mention the "help" on the quote page.
    If they take too long, and you need to re-insure, claim compensation for the difference from the original quote for the year from Aviva, to however much you end up paying, plus about £100 for the inconvinience and time you spend on it.

Do a screen print of the FAQ.
  • hi, many thanks for your reply, i am ready to send a complaint out just wondering if i should attempt to send it as a letter via post to the Director of Sales at a PO Box address i have on a letter or should i send through Aviva's own complaint procedure which includes attachment section for any additional information like a screenshot.

Just wondering what you would recommend for me to do in this situation?

Thankyou for your help and to the people that originally started this thread!

Leon aka erbradio
  • As of March 2012, Co-Op Insurance (CIS) will accept NCB up to 3 years from a lapsed policy, and I received the cheapest quotation from them also.
  • Dan_Smith wrote: »
    Aviva will accept up to 3 years from any previous insurer.

Co-op will accept up to 3 years if the previous policy was with them.

Otherwise try a broker like Adrian Flux.

This was correct until Summer 2011 when Aviva went 2 years as well.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback