PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    casper so sorry to hear about your mum (((hugs))) to you

I spent another £41.46 yesterday at a discount shop , did get 36 ice lollies for a £1 :j bought loads of yoghurts muller corners 6 for a £1, so fridge and freezer full, will just need bread in the week.
  • mrssnowy_2
    mrssnowy_2 Posts: 403 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 5 July 2009 at 9:43AM
    Morning all,sorry missed a lot as stupid 'puter went AWOL.
    Sort of sticking to GC,not spending much but not had time to keep spending diary up to date.However I still had money left in current account(quite a bit;))and savings acc. healthy despite lack of interest.

Hope all going well for you all,see lots of new 'faces' around,great place to be as loads of support .

MrsMc will declare at £179 for June and put me down again for £180 in July.Thank you.

July is busy month for birthdays,but all factored in!
    Was going to take DH to Ffos Las racecourse for his birthday but we've booked a holiday in Pembroke in Sept instead.Not a price equivalent,but DH said he would save money:D.He's really got GC-hopefully no cure.

Have now reduced work by 4 hours a week-my choice not forced,but shattered after 3 full days work.
    (Talk about being feeble!Its me age-all these grandchildren.New littley is now 7 wks old,Angharad,and has gained just over 2lbs.)
    Lovely feeling of freedom,feel as if pressure is off,but will obviously have to more GC.It will have little effect on my pension,tho the way things are going feel as if we should just worry about now because not too much control over then.
    Nice and cool this morning as it chucked it down last night,lovely blue sky.Watching a red kite float past the window,they are very graceful to look at,so effortless.

Will do better this month and keep up with you all.

mrss
    You can't stay young for ever,but you can be immature for the rest of your life.
  • ellemm
    ellemm Posts: 11,262 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Signature updated to include smallish spend in Mr T yesterday.

Did take advantage of the 25% of 6 bottles of wine offer - got 4 bottles of Cava, all half price (for pamper hampers) and a nice red, also half price, again for a hamper then let OH choose a white for himself to make up the six (I'm all heart!!) ;) so saved a massive amount and got nice wine into the bargain.

I haven't included the wines in my total as from different budget.

As others have mentioned, found we ate salads most of last week, can't face hot food in that sort of heat.

Still got loads in freezer so plan to use as much of that as possible this week and keep down the shopping costs.

Doing a bit of cleaning and cooking this morning to leave the afternoon free to watch the tennis.:o
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 July 2009 at 11:07AM
    Casper, so sorry to hear about your mum, sending positive thoughts your way.

My first July shop on Friday was £6, planning a Lidl shop this week and a MrS delivery later in the month. Apart from milk (local coop - which is useless for anything else!) that should be it.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • JayneC
    JayneC Posts: 912 Forumite
    Hi all,

Casper - Sorry to hear about your mum XX

Well I'm determined to stay in budget this month so gonna try and update more often. Hopefully it will keep me focussed!

Have spent a hefty chunk of my budget but have got enough store cupboard stuff in now to last the month. It'll be fresh food top-ups only - milk, bread, F&V, meat, etc.

Have meal planned for eve meals this week and have everything in. I'm finding it's the lunch box stuff that's more expensive!! DD likes nutri grain (instead of sandwiches!!) and I also try to put in a peice of fruit and something dairy like a yoghurt drink too (they like actimel - tried the cheaper versions and they turn their noses up!! I've gone for baby bel cheeses insted this week which seem to be cheaper). I do a big batch of baking a weekend and they get a cake or biscuit too. If anyone has any ideas for cheaper lunchboxes please share. Ta X

BTW went into Tesco yesterday and got 500g sutanas for 74p and the kilo bag of the exact same product was £2.35!!!! How can they justify that??!! Made me a bit mad. Lots of people won't check assuming the bigger pack will be cheaper. Especially with the shelf edge noting that in Asda 1 kilo is £2.38. Anyhoo.... Rant over.

My garden is doing quite well considering it's only a tiny yard. I've had some new potatoes, lettuce and strawberries from it already. Hopefully onions will be ready soon and I've got peas, sweetcorn, courgette and tomatoes all doing well too.

Well better get on, all that batch baking awaits, lol.

TTFN

Jayne x
    Official DFW nerd - 282 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member # 56
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    JayneC wrote: »
    Have meal planned for eve meals this week and have everything in. I'm finding it's the lunch box stuff that's more expensive!! DD likes nutri grain (instead of sandwiches!!) and I also try to put in a peice of fruit and something dairy like a yoghurt drink too (they like actimel - tried the cheaper versions and they turn their noses up!! I've gone for baby bel cheeses insted this week which seem to be cheaper). I do a big batch of baking a weekend and they get a cake or biscuit too. If anyone has any ideas for cheaper lunchboxes please share. Ta X
    Jayne x
    It won't save masses but would your children eat cheese that you'd cut into cubes or sticks instead of BabyBel's or the like? I also used to bulk buy the yoghurt tubes when they were on BOGOF and freeze them to keep the cost down. I actually put my DS3 back on school lunches last September as the cost of the lunchbox was getting ridiculous :eek: Fortunately he's at primary school & the lunches are healthy ..... He starts at High School this time though so I'll have the debate all over again :rolleyes:
  • Changingme
    Changingme Posts: 317 Forumite
    Not doing well at all have family over I think I'm going to up budget as have brought wine and beer plus a bit more food so total os far is :eek:£176.30:eek:.
    Save £4500 in 2014
  • angelatgraceland
    angelatgraceland Posts: 3,342 Forumite
    edited 5 July 2009 at 12:33PM
    Well Ive not totted up total for June yet! Been too busy but Ive been very mindful of what Ive been buying. I did spend a lot last week and this week I fear-and Ive had a lot of expenses re getting a car for DD for her new job so its rather damaged my rainy day fund! But she has a job at last!!!
    I will start some totting up hopefully later today and remedy the situation.
    Just made some pesto with the homegrown basil-it was the pinenuts and parmesan which cost the money for this but well worth it!
    Had too many raspberries last week so made a couple of jars of jam. Ok so its not cheaper than the shops but its "top quality". I bought some mamade to make marmalade-hoping a local shop has some cheaper sugar-got some the other week-2 1kg packs for £1.50.
    Lots of free salad in the garden and the cucumbers we have been eating are huge.
    I made a couple of fruit cakes in the week without eggs-using vinegar and soda-these were really nice and moist.
    Making a victoria sponge today and spreading with h/m jam and wwhipped cream-topped with strawberries from the garden.
    Cupboards are overloaded along with freezer and worktops so Ive loads to last. Got "the one" milk in Mr T last night-only 84p for 2 litres! Got 5 of them as dated 14th. So tonights meal will be pasta with homemade pesto and cheese(no meat needed) and h/m victoria sponge.
    Hoping to make some parsnip soup and some spicy carrot and tomato soup today/tomorrow if I get time. Plenty of the tinned stuff here but I rather like h/made best. I may do some quick herby bread to go with it-not sure yet as ithe the sugar content that puts me off. May just make a loaf in the BM instead. Trying to sort out a better routine for cooking etc for the Autumn as my job role is shortly changing and planning will be easier. Still getting to the gym generally about 3 times a week-got to try to get there tonight!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • got-it-spend-it
    got-it-spend-it Posts: 5,016 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good afternoon fellow Grocery Challengers!

Well, I'm over £100 of £160 already, but I have got lots of food in so the remaining £60 should be plenty for just getting milk, fruit and veg, cheese etc for the next three weeks.

I am really enjoying the Aldi super six at the moment. I rarely used to go to Aldi as it is a couple of miles away, where as Lidl, Tesco and Sainsburys are on our doorstep but I'm finding that this really makes it worth it. I also like some of their Italian / pasta type things as well so am stocking up on them, and I find their toiletries are really good too!

Casper- sorry to hear about your Mum. Sending virtual ((((hugs)))) your way x x

Just checked out a courgette fritter recipe from the first page. Our courgette plants are going great guns. Using our first one to make ratatouille today, but think the fritters sounds yummy too.
    :DYummy mummy, runner, baker and procrastinator :p
  • searching_me
    searching_me Posts: 18,414 Forumite
    casper - so sorry to hear about your mum ((hugs)) to you and your family ...

i have just under 2 weeks and £30 to go ... so alittle worried but all i have to get is milk and bread im not going anywhere this week so wont spend anything i hope ... im going to be strong im liking my 6 NSD's i want more the most i did in a month was 10 so i want to beat that x
    :)Still searching .....:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport