Menstrual Money Saving

123457»

Comments

• This is something I have discovered after 20 plus years, I am not an organised individual but I have saved a lot of money by looking for offers on menstrual pads at the end of my period. That way I have a box ready for the next time around when the panic makes you far less rational about what you want and need however at the end its still on your mind but buying pads is far less emotional and rushed.

I have a moon cup, however it cannot be worn with a coil fitted. it works well but is not exceptionally comfortable. and having a stock of liners at home makes it easier to adapt your protection to your needs and comfort.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    A moon cup can be worn with a coil fitted. I did so for 5 years.

I have found, however, since having my daughter that the mooncup (and ANY other sanitary product) cannot stand up to my flow for the first 2 days. I even go through maternity pads once every 1-2 hours during the first 2 days each month. So, the best solution I have found at the moment, is to use the mooncup and wear a sanitary towel as a backup and simply empty the mooncup far more often.
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • wishuponastar
    wishuponastar Posts: 779 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 February 2018 at 7:34PM
    I have really heavy flow for 1-3 days so much so that I was emptying my Femmecup very regularly, due to leakage when I sat down or stood up from sitting (the seal was fine when I was not sitting or standing and I have no problem inserting it etc-just the seal seemed to break as I sat/sit which is normal due to movements down there). I worked with it for a long time (some periods were better than others) and used disposable pads also to catch any leakage but I needed another solution for my heavy days especially at night time on my heavy days.

A couple of years ago I discovered a great menstrual cup which had a special design to minimise leaking, called the FemmyCycle. I tried the different sizes they offer and for me the adult version is way too large (not had children) and didn't work well for me at all. They have a teen size which is a maybe just a bit bigger capacity wise than the Femmecup and works perfectly for me on my heavy days and at night time too and then I use the Femmecup on my slow flow days.

P.s. If you have had troubles with leakage the FemmyCycle is defo one to try.

Feel free to PM for any more info or advice regarding it.
  • I've been using a mooncup for the last 8 years. I have PCO and bizarelly with a mooncup i have no pain.

Best thing ever for me. A lot cleaner and no horrible odours.
  • Bought a mooncup equivalent and just could not get on with it. Found it leaked badly as I am very heavy the 1st 2 days and when I came to remove it, it was so full it spilled so very messy.

Could not rely on it when out of the house.

Have gone back to tampons..own brand so cheap but I gave it a go.
  • wishuponastar
    wishuponastar Posts: 779 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    CamelLady wrote: »
    Bought a mooncup equivalent and just could not get on with it. Found it leaked badly as I am very heavy the 1st 2 days and when I came to remove it, it was so full it spilled so very messy.

Could not rely on it when out of the house.

Have gone back to tampons..own brand so cheap but I gave it a go.

I was in the same situation as you, then I tried the Femmy cycle menstrual cup and it was so much better. The teen size is a similar size to the femme cup which I find for me works best (even though I left my teens many years ago lol). If you need or want any advice feel free to PM me.
  • LavenderBee
    LavenderBee Posts: 350 Forumite
    I've only used the original Mooncups (just realised I've been using them for 12 years!) - I must admit I look at some of the cheaper alternatives and they just don't look very substantial. They're more expensive but I think they're worth it.

Just taken delivery of some re-usable pads to use with the cup as I have endo and can have some really heavy days, and I'm preggers at the moment so I guess I won't fancy using the Mooncup for a while afterwards. Hoping to save ongoing costs of pads.
  • I have never tried a mooncup, I want to but I'm scared it will leak or something
  • I've never tried a Mooncup cup, I would like to but I am scheduled it'll leak or something
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure