How to get receipt from self-service checkouts when paying contactless?

How can I get a receipt from self-service checkouts when paying by contactless card? It is a problem not to have a receipt if (1) I want to return an item or (2) the retailer overcharges or doesn't apply a special offer, because I will never know that it's happened except by reading the till as it scans, which isn't always possible to do properly in the normally stressful pressured environment of having people queuing behind. Also I might not remember the special offer should have applied until I arrive home. Thanks for any helpful reply

Comments

• trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    All self service checkouts provide receipts once the purchased is paid for.
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • Not all self-service check-outs give receipts automatically. Tesco machines do not but the screen does ask at the end whether you want a receipt and you just touch the "yes" if you want one.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    How can I get a receipt from self-service checkouts when paying by contactless card? It is a problem not to have a receipt if (1) I want to return an item or (2) the retailer overcharges or doesn't apply a special offer, because I will never know that it's happened except by reading the till as it scans, which isn't always possible to do properly in the normally stressful pressured environment of having people queuing behind. Also I might not remember the special offer should have applied until I arrive home. Thanks for any helpful reply

Never had an issue with getting a receipt from the self service checkouts at Sainsbury's, Tesco, Asda, Morrison's, I could be wrong but Asda prints 1 out automatically, Morrison's and JS are the same too.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Perhaps the OP could say which shops he's having a problem with not issuing receipts.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yes OP if you tell us what supermarkets you have had an issue with getting a receipt from maybe we could help.
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Not all self-service check-outs give receipts automatically. Tesco machines do not but the screen does ask at the end whether you want a receipt and you just touch the "yes" if you want one.

This must not be all Tesco machines. I use my contactless card in one most lunchtimes and always get a receipt at the end without asking.
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    vacheron wrote: »
    This must not be all Tesco machines. I use my contactless card in one most lunchtimes and always get a receipt at the end without asking.
    I think that's why we need to know which tills the OP is having problems with - even to the type of Tesco he's using (Extra, Metro, Express) if he's even using Tesco stores.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Some Tesco Express machines say "Do you want a receipt yes/no after payment". My local Tesco Extra always prints a receipt.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    You can always ask an attendant to reprint the receipt for you and in the event of returning something without a receipt there is always a record of the transaction that retailers can trace (even if customer service staff don't know about it).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure