Martin's Information - Right or Wrong

Firstly and to be clear, I think what Martin does and this forum is superb in highlighting deals and workarounds to save money.

I would like to put a question out there and specifically to Martin but I'm guessing that's not possible since; "we simply do not have the resources" to "Ask Martin a question".

So, my question is this; "Do you think it's a good thing that Martin advises tricks and opportunities to get more money from our Government?"

The reason I ask is that the more money taken from the Government means the more we are hit elsewhere. If people find out how to suck more money from various benefits and so forth, does this mean there is more of a risk to increasing taxes such as council tax which is reported as increasing over the coming months.

I'm all for fairness, of course, but this bit concerns me and I welcome comments and specifically from Martin if possible. Would be great to see this subject\question covered on the programme too if possible.

Thanks all and please, no abuse to his question, I just want to hear opinions.

FNT
Below £50,000 in 3 years! :beer:
Mortgage on 2nd August 2007: £68,530.29
Mortgage on 10th November 2007: £64,520.27
Mortgage on 31st December 2008: £49,317.xx
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TARGET REACHED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mortgage Free - Feb 2011. Yey!!!

Comments

• tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Martin has no affiliation with this site anymore since he sold. You definitely won't get a response from him. Try tweeting if you really want a response from the man himself.
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    If people are claiming benefits and so on that they are genuinely entitled to, then the government must have budgeted for this? I don't have a problem with legal ways to save money. I would have a problem with ripping people/ agencies/ companies off.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    In a way it's no different to getting people to switch to the best deals etc. Having lots of people paying more than the best price allows a company more room for some people to get really good deals, when the "overpayers" go then the savings on best deals are not as good.
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    I understand where you are coming from but as long as it is legal, I can't see what would be wrong with it. Think about a tax break, you need to meet certain requirements to get it.

If you do and you aren't aware of the opportunity, obviously it is good to be informed. The government can change the requirements if they feel too many people use/abuse it.
    ally.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If people are claiming what they’re allowed to claim and that’s causing budgeting problems for the Government then the problem is the Government not doing their sums, not people claiming as they can.

It’s a bit like those multinationals who avoid paying tax. As much as I wish they would pay more, they’re only playing by the rules set by the Government so the rules need to be changed to prevent it happening, if it’s a problem.
  • Seanymph
    Seanymph Posts: 2,873 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You have a problem with the general public being educated enough to understand what their entitlements are?

On the flip side, perhaps the government shouldn't let anyone know what the benefit system works like, what people are entitled to claim, and how they can access the money that they need to live - oh, hang on, that's what they do! Martin just let's people know what they are actually, legally, entitled to by way of support.

In a society where people are actually starving to death, homeless and sleeping on the streets, and unable to feed their children and wash their clothing for school - schools now are providing washing facilities so that children can have clean uniforms - that someone is able to disseminate information that the Government buries is awesome, and unfortunately necessary.
  • jbond
    jbond Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    The reason I ask is that the more money taken from the Government means the more we are hit elsewhere.

If people find out how to suck more money from various benefits and so forth, does this mean there is more of a risk to increasing taxes such as council tax which is reported as increasing over the coming months.

I know you're just asking a general question, but as the present Govt has spent the past 7 years focusing on deliberately attacking the most vulnerable in our society by depriving those people of the money they need simply to survive, I support what Martin does even MORE than I did before!
  • Like others on this thread i see where you are coming from and is an interesting discussion.

In my view, sites such as this improve financial education to the masses and those who without it may not be aware of what is available to them, which is obviously a good thing for consumers.

Specifically regarding government incentives, the government put these in place to also help resolve an issue which could be problematic for themselves. For example, some entitlements for a specific segment of the population may be in place to also reduce strain on certain resources. It is important to look at the benefits of more people claiming and the impact that has, rather than just seeing it as more money being taken.
    Save £12k in 2020 = £4,074.62/£15,000 (27.2%) #89
    Save £12k in 2019 = £13,580.52/£15,000 (90.5%) #92
    Save £12k in 2018 = £17,189.12/£15,000 (115%) #36
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills