Tales from The Shire

Comments

• Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Guess what I've been doing guys. Yep.. cleaning :eek:

The downstairs loo is now presentable and a further, large box has been unpacked.

Mr F got paid. A lot :eek: It turns out his company sent the wrong information to HMRC, who issued a tax code based on the incorrect amount and so he got a big tax rebate in his pay. I've sorted things out now but it means we have to hold on to this extra money and do some recalculating next month as the overpayment will be deducted from his next pay. Took me most of the morning to sort it all out.

I am now on-line with the mortgage company. Very exciting although the balance looked a bit scary when I checked it.

The fun money has been replenished so we took ourselves off to the cinema last night to see Dunkirk. What a film. My heart didn't stop pounding the whole way through. We treated ourselves to an ice cream too but it was a relatively cheap night out overall.

We are noticing a big difference here:
    • the journey to town was quick and easy
    • parking was straightforward and there were plenty of spaces
    • it cost £1.50 to park for the evening. We are used to paying £3 - £5 for a Friday night
    • the cinema was clean, not too busy and the staff brilliant (we even got shown to our seats :D)
    • the cost of the tickets was a whole £6 cheaper than we usually pay (and this is for the same cinema chain).

The savings paid for our ice creams :D

It's a good job the cost of living is cheaper here as I have now exhausted the moving in budget. There are still some things we need so I shall have to start moving up an MSE gear.

Next on the list... oh yes, more cleaning :) I'm going to try to get the hall in order so more boxes can be unpacked.

Hope you're enjoying the weekend.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Tile Man is coming this afternoon. Can't wait :j

Mr F went off on a business trip this morning. I won't see him now until Friday :( Plenty to keep me busy though. The kids are visiting at the weekend so I need to clean the bathroom and second guest room before then.

I cleaned up the hall area yesterday so can unpack the coats now. That will get rid of the last wardrobe box. Several boxes were unpacked or moved to the annex by the end of the day and the house is started to emerge :)

I spent some of my personal spends on shoe racks yesterday. Our current ones don't fit and, although we could have done without, I found the perfect fit on sale so grasped the moment.

Mr F is under instruction to bring back any supplies he finds at the hotel. Posh branded shower gels, etc will go into the shower caddy. Standard hotel stuff will be poured into the kitchen hand wash. Might lead to some interesting fragrance combinations :rotfl:

Happy Sunday all

Fortune x
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Sounds like you are really making progress.
    I think you need to share some before and after pics of the tiles though.

Wish.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Mr F is under instruction to bring back any supplies he finds at the hotel. Posh branded shower gels, etc will go into the shower caddy. Standard hotel stuff will be poured into the kitchen hand wash. Might lead to some interesting fragrance combinations :rotfl:

Happy Sunday all

Fortune x

Mr gt is now trained at bringing back all hotel supplies - I use weird shampoos in the smalls' swimming bags. There are some hotel s'poo/ conditioner combinations I will use up on me and shower gels are happily used by Mr g or used to top up handwashes (depends upon the colour - only certain colours can be used to top up certain handwash bottles here! :p) Teabags will get used if I like them, or taken into work if I don't. Coffee will get used by DS1 - he doesn't care! I use shower caps to cover proving dough and any sewing kits are donated to the local shoebox appeal - they make sewing kits up for sending abroad. My mum also donates all her airline (Emirates - good stuff!) and hotel toiletries to me (she will only use certain brands - sigh.....) - we get a regular supply of Gi11ette shaving foam, C0lgate toothpaste and a male anti-perspirant from her/ Emirates - it's fab!:T I pass on the toothbrushes to either the foodbank or shoebox appeal, along with any excess of the shaving foam (donated around a dozen cans last Xmas - they had a specific appeal for male toiletries) I'm all for making the most of freebies (and passing on what I can't/ won't use - I don't want any clutter from them):j

Hope the tiles come up wonderfully :)

x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Oh my goodness. Hotel shower caps for proving dough!!!! That is a genius idea. Please consider that one well and truly stolen.

The other option for sewimg kits is to use them for creating little 'jam jar' kits, make a pin cushion out of a scrap of fabric and some stuffing/foam etc and hot glue to a jam jar lid, fill the jar with sewing essentials and tie a pretty ribbon around the neck. Super quick & cheap pressie for a crafty person, teacher's gift etc.

However. Shower caps!! Genius.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Oh my goodness. Hotel shower caps for proving dough!!!! That is a genius idea. Please consider that one well and truly stolen.

The other option for sewimg kits is to use them for creating little 'jam jar' kits, make a pin cushion out of a scrap of fabric and some stuffing/foam etc and hot glue to a jam jar lid, fill the jar with sewing essentials and tie a pretty ribbon around the neck. Super quick & cheap pressie for a crafty person, teacher's gift etc.

Glad to be of help! I've been doing it for about 10 years or so - you can puff them up, unlike clingfilm/ damp towels :)

Great idea about the sewing kits - but I am so craft-ily challenged that that's beyond me! :D:o
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Loving the chatter...makes me wish i had more away trips!!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Sounds like you are really making progress.
    I think you need to share some before and after pics of the tiles though.

Wish.

Hi there Wish. I did think about taking some before and after pics but the before pics were so disgusting I would be too embarrassed to share them :rotfl:

Fortune x
  • Fortune_Smiles
    greent wrote: »
    Mr gt is now trained at bringing back all hotel supplies - I use weird shampoos in the smalls' swimming bags. There are some hotel s'poo/ conditioner combinations I will use up on me and shower gels are happily used by Mr g or used to top up handwashes (depends upon the colour - only certain colours can be used to top up certain handwash bottles here! :p) Teabags will get used if I like them, or taken into work if I don't. Coffee will get used by DS1 - he doesn't care! I use shower caps to cover proving dough and any sewing kits are donated to the local shoebox appeal - they make sewing kits up for sending abroad. My mum also donates all her airline (Emirates - good stuff!) and hotel toiletries to me (she will only use certain brands - sigh.....) - we get a regular supply of Gi11ette shaving foam, C0lgate toothpaste and a male anti-perspirant from her/ Emirates - it's fab!:T I pass on the toothbrushes to either the foodbank or shoebox appeal, along with any excess of the shaving foam (donated around a dozen cans last Xmas - they had a specific appeal for male toiletries) I'm all for making the most of freebies (and passing on what I can't/ won't use - I don't want any clutter from them):j

Hope the tiles come up wonderfully :)

x

Brilliant ideas GreenT. I love the dough cover tip too :T It's inspired me to try using the shower caps to cover desert dishes - I always manage to stick the cling film to the top of my desserts.

Mr F flies Emirates from time to time too - brilliant freebies. They often have little vials of perfume in. Other things I do with travel stuff is:
    • make up little overnight packs for my guests to leave in their room - you can guarantee someone will arrive without their toothbrush or razor
    • flight socks come in handy for people who forget to bring slippers
    • use the toiletry bags to store shoe cleaning kits
    • keep a toothbrush with my washing up stuff and another with general cleaning stuff for getting into nooks and crannies - I've worn out two so far cleaning this place up :eek:

If anyone else has ideas for this stuff I'd love to hear them.

Fortune x
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Oh my goodness. Hotel shower caps for proving dough!!!! That is a genius idea. Please consider that one well and truly stolen.

That's a lovely idea for jam jars Wish. And very pertinent as I discovered I have about 100 of them when I was unpacking :rotfl:

Fortune x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback