Comping Guide - Getting Started & Other FAQs

Comments

• weeowen - where are you please?
  • I-Owe-You wrote: »
    Help!

Hi all, I wondered if anyone could help... I'm looking for some free software which is the equivalent of Robo Form, but for the Mac...

Thanks in advance xx

I use the free version of 1password and it is very good.
  • fire**fly
    fire**fly Posts: 147,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    weeowen - where are you please?

hiya, you could always pm him weeowen67 :)
    please be a responsible pet owner & spay/neuter your pets, too many strays & not enough homes for them sadly. k2u58ioz4c8e.png

• Thanks for posting this helpful thread.:j
  • VelvetGlove
    VelvetGlove Posts: 12,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    You are welcome come_queen. A lot of people contributed to this & continue to keep me updated with what is happening so I can keep the Guide up to date :)

Talking of keeping the Guide up to date.... Spam list updated tonight folks. Active You added to the list, spotted by Lilias on the parent company's site:

This is from their parent company's website -
    What is LeadBooster? It’s a lead generation data pool with millions of high performing records for marketers to use for their own direct marketing & email campaigns. It’s been developed by our business partner Database Group (DbG) who will now collate all the data from holidayyou.co.uk, activeyou.co.uk, claimjunction.com and mobilitycompare.co.uk into one lead generation datapool.
    What makes LeadBooster unique is that DbG will take AJi’s data and add their own attributes to it. This will allow marketers to pulls extracts by lifestyle as well as location, interest and purchasing history. Added to this will be a unique web interface allowing marketers to create their own counts and pull off their own data sets (a ‘no hassle’ and bureaucracy-free zone). LeadBooster will be launched in September and we’ll disclose more details soon.

New list follows:

11 Are there any sites, from experience, which are likely to generate lots of spam?
    There are a few which have come to our collective attention as sites that, when used for comps, seem to generate lots of unwanted postal, email & phone call attention. These are listed below for your information, however, please do remember that this is only the collective opinion of other MSE Compers & does not necessarily reflect upon the sites themselves.

2minutedraw
    4FreeUK
    ABCWins
    ActiveYou
    Clash Club/Clash media
    Club La Costa
    Consumer Lifestyles
    Consumer Opinions
    Craftomatic Beds (Comps appear to be just a way to get a salesman into your home, especially if vulnerable/alone)
    Emailinform
    EZ Prize Giveaway
    Fair Exchange
    GetMeATicket
    GetYourBillsPaid
    GreatUKsurveys
    Guide2Win
    InstantPrizeDraw
    Just-Rewards
    Lingscars
    MyChild (pester with phone calls quite badly, but Compers have won with them - suggest do not give a phone number!) New owners since 2009, who do not ring out now. Will be removed from here totally once the word is out!
    MyConsumer
    MyFamilyUK
    MyOffers
    NoizeMakesEnemies (Care - your profile with name, address, phone number & email appear to be on show with no way to make it private!!)
    Nuts (comps.nuts.co.uk - comps are now run by the data collecting company Data Media & Research Ltd.)
    OffersClick
    Opinioniser
    Optimax (phone calls, letters & emails!)
    PenicuUK.com (linked to Weatherseal below)
    PickMeUpMagazine (comps.PickMeUpMagazine.co.uk - Care: the magazine comps seem to be unaffected, but any comps which direct to this site are run by the data collecting company Data Media & Research Ltd)
    Premier Christian Radio (lots of postal junk mail even when you opt out of future contact)
    Prize4U
    Plum Offers
    PrizePunch
    RewardsToday
    Simple2Win
    SupremeOGlaze (linked to Weatherseal below)
    Space Kitchens (see thread here)
    Tickbox
    Topfox
    Toyhound
    UK-PrizeDraw
    VoiceInACrowd
    Vouch4me
    Weatherseal
    Weather Wherever
    Whats On TV (now 'powered by Instant!!!!!!!')
    Willowbrook (chairs) (have pestered with phone calls quite badly on some comps - see here and also here)
    Win 4 Now
    Win24
    Zenith Windows (linked to Weatherseal above)
    Sad because you don't know what to do? :sad: Comping question? Take a look in the Comping Guide to find out :smiley:
  • VelvetGlove
    edited 24 December 2010 at 10:33PM
    Hey folks, just a quickie really. I've updated the Guide with a couple of things that have just been messaged through to me :) Thank you to all of those members who think to send me a PM so I can keep our Guide up to date with all the latest issues & other bits & bobs.

4 Do any sites not want their comps/answers posted?
    Site added:
    HorrorTalk.com - Do not post their comps

[STRIKE]11 Are there any sites, from experience, which are likely to generate lots of spam?
    Site added:
    Funky (Care - your profile with user name, real name, age, birth date, etc. appear to be on show with no way to make it private!!)[/STRIKE] See post from Amilucky below - profile can be made private! :)

Love & hugs to you all :) I'm off work now until Tuesday 4th January so look out for me on those comping threads :D
    Sad because you don't know what to do? :sad: Comping question? Take a look in the Comping Guide to find out :smiley:
  • Amilucky?
    Amilucky? Posts: 13,790 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Re: Funky think that maybe this should be taken of the list as you can make your profile private

if you register/login and click on Control Panel and then Privacy & notifications you can change the settings for your real name, age, birth date,etc so that no one else can see them ;)

however if your information has already been picked up by Google it will take some time before your information is deleted from there cache :(

Best of Luck :)
  • VelvetGlove
    Ahhhh! Thanks Amilucky :) I'll sort the Guide & let the one who sent me the msg know it's an ok site! Thanks again!
  • timmmers
    timmmers Posts: 3,743 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi,

I have something which may help anyone looking to acquire more twitter followers or people to follow...or Facebook friends on here.

Both sites work better if you have more people to get and share info from, and loads of us here are on them but don't know each others nicknames. I tried a list on here but there's nowhere to put it where the members can easily find it..it got lost and my sig was deleted for linking to the post on MSE.

I finally have the solution. A facebook event that lasts all year which is a twitter name directory. http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=143323185721115&index=1

If you go there, open your own twitter page and copy the address bar from the browser and post it on there you're done.

We just began it, and it's proving quite handy.
    Visitors can run down that list, click the links for each person, open their twitter page and click follow...then "like" that persons post to remind them of where they got to. Thet can also add people as friends if they aren't already.

I invited about 650 people, feel free to invite anyone you feel will benefit. I'll extend it eventually.

Try to add the exact link, nt with @ in it...painful having to add the real link once it's built up and it's sooo easy done right. A few clics and even a real newbie has some cntacts to help out. :)

I may even run a comp on there one day...just for a laugh ;)

t
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • mrssjs
    mrssjs Posts: 627 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Could you tell me the difference between using "Thanks" and "Enter" on a thread please?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure