Metacam

We have just had our 13 year old cat - at the vets for dental work (cleaning teeth and removing 3 teeth !)
He was done, yesterday and today - he has been started on a course of Metacam pain killers
He doesn't appear to be in any discomfort at the moment.
We have experience of the side effects of Metacam from another cat - who was put on the same drug by the same vet - he was extremely sick and we stopped the drug !
Why do vets insist on using the same drug without looking in to history of patients owners ?
There must be an alternative drug that we can use ?
Any advice welcome

Comments

• annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Why would one cat have a reaction to this because another did?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I would agree - your other cat having issues isn't relevant to the options for this one. However if you have concerns about the metacam, what did your vet say when you asked about alternative pain killers?
    I know metacam can cause issues for some animals but that isn't always the case - my last dog took it for years with no ill effects.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My last but one dog was on metacam for several years with no ill effects, my last dog couldn’t even get through a week on it without projectile vomiting and diarrhoea. Why would the vet even consider the owners history with a drug? It’s the actual animal that needs to be considered and there are hundreds of thousands of animals taking metacam every year with no issues so they would hardly assume that just because it didn’t work for one of your animals it should never be given to your others.
  • My vet insisted on a liver (?) test before putting my cat on Metacam. He's had no problems, if anything it's given him a new lease of life - he's old and arthritic, within 1 week of metacam he was bringing us mice and rats again. So nice.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Kathy535 wrote: »
    My vet insisted on a liver (?) test before putting my cat on Metacam. He's had no problems, if anything it's given him a new lease of life - he's old and arthritic, within 1 week of metacam he was bringing us mice and rats again. So nice.

It’s common for them to run tests if it is going to be long term use but for short term use it would be pointless.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    its only 3 days worth and so far - so good - no reaction at all !!
  • Metacalm knocks my mutt out for six.

As he's a beagle I'm torn between the fact he has needed it for pain relief & the quiet life it's given me :)
  • 50Twuncle
    Doesn't it see strange that according to the drug manufacturers - it only causes minor side effects on extremely rare occasions ?
  • Not really - when it's a drug that gets used in every operation and every sore leg and every elderly arthritic pet in the country near enough, then even if only 1% of animals have side effects then that's still a lot of animals! And the 1% where something went wrong are going to be more vocal about it than the 99% who had no problems and barely remember what it was called.

Also bear in mind that the words like "common" or "uncommon" are specifically tied into percentages of side effects by regulation from the European Medicines Agency when on a datasheet - the company doesn't really get a choice.
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • 50Twuncle
    edited 3 October 2017 at 9:14AM
    Not really - when it's a drug that gets used in every operation and every sore leg and every elderly arthritic pet in the country near enough, then even if only 1% of animals have side effects then that's still a lot of animals! And the 1% where something went wrong are going to be more vocal about it than the 99% who had no problems and barely remember what it was called.

Also bear in mind that the words like "common" or "uncommon" are specifically tied into percentages of side effects by regulation from the European Medicines Agency when on a datasheet - the company doesn't really get a choice.
    Just google "Metacam problems cats" and tell me that this is an uncommon problem ?
    From a US report http://www.optimumchoices.com/images/MetacamRisksInCats.pdf
    Metacam Oral,
    which summarize drug side effects reported by veterinarians.
    Of 842 reports for dogs, 19 cases of kidney failure and no
    deaths were reported. However in 320 cats, 105 cases of
    kidney failure, 48 deaths and 35 cases resulting in euthanasia
    have been reported. This clearly indicates that Metacam poses
    a much greater risk in cats than in dogs

This is far FAR higher than 1%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income