Another year on and the company tradition is still alive!

Options

Comments

• robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I get lots of electronic xmas cards of the type "instead of sending a card this year we are donating to charity" etc.

So I think you should reply similarly - instead of donating to the director's fund you will be giving a donation to a charity you believe more worthy (you don't have to say the last bit). And do so if you can find a charity that's actually worthwhile where they money goes where it should and not in some other slimy director's pocket.
  • xapprenticex
    Options
    Lol i wouldnt be doing this. Sounds like a right cheek, someone sucking up to directors at your expense.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hahahahahahaaaaa,,it would be a cold day in hell before id contribute..
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • breaking_free
    Options
    In all honesty what I would do is this:

1. Create a new email account that can't be connected to you e.g. a gmail account.
    2. Send the MD's wife a link to this thread from the anonymous gmail account (don't send it from the office computer obviously).
    3. Sit back and wait for a climb down from the MD's wife

Anyone else agree with this idea? If the MD's wife is as thick skinned as she clearly is it will take a large weight of opinion from outsiders to make her realize that soliciting gifts for higher ups is in very poor taste.
    "The problem with Internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What is the Christmas Raffle that is being held on the 21st December? Is this where the Directors raffle off cheap smellys from Poundland to all the staff to make some money for the Directors Christmas Outing?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In all honesty what I would do is this:

1. Create a new email account that can't be connected to you e.g. a gmail account.
    2. Send the MD's wife a link to this thread from the anonymous gmail account (don't send it from the office computer obviously).
    3. Sit back and wait for a climb down from the MD's wife

Anyone else agree with this idea? If the MD's wife is as thick skinned as she clearly is it will take a large weight of opinion from outsiders to make her realize that soliciting gifts for higher ups is in very poor taste.

I might also send it to the MD, his wife seems pretty impervious to any suggestion that this is foolish behaviour, but I reckon he will get the picture straight away and tell her what he thinks of it.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unless it is his idea...
  • Vectis
    Vectis Posts: 692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was 100% behind you until you said that they (the directors, presumably?) give you a £700 Christmas bonus.

Yes, the email is not very well worded (appalling actually) but would it really hurt to give £10 back from the £700 you receive?
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I know this is completely unnecessary but I just feel like it, OK? It's "appallingly, actually". Adverb, not adjective.

Enforced generosity breeds nothing but resentment. If the directors were so great, the employees would not need Mrs. MD to come around and extort money from them, they would contribute because they wanted to. I wish there were (subjunctive!) such a thing as karma.
  • misterzim
    Options
    The raffle money goes to charity.

I did say the bonus is not to be sniffed at but also said this is all down to the MDs wife, not the Directors.

The Directors receive the same share of the Xmas bonus as everyone else so no, they don't deserve £10 back from me or anyone else. It causes such unrest amongst staff each year yet it still goes ahead and the Directors don't decline the gifts either.

They pay me a yearly salary to perform the work that earns them their money so the money as a gift to say thank you is just ridiculous!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure