Help please in setting up new Smart TV

melb
melb Posts: 2,873 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
hi there have just received my new Toshiba 43U6663DB Smart Tv for daughter and have spent hours trying to connect it to our virgin media wifi.

The TV finds the ip address ok but we cannot find out how to actually access any Freeview channels or YouTube etc.

One thing that i think may be the problem is the choice of Digital ariel, Satellite, Analogue etc etc options when as far as I can understand we are accessing all via internet/wifi.

I have tried to follow the instruction manual which seems to miss out large chunks.

I will ring Tech help at ao.com tomorrow hopefully but in the meantime is there any advice that anyone can give me in terms of something glaringly obvious that I am not doing during the set-up?

I am attempting to do this wirelessly rather than using an ethernet cable but our internet strength is strong at 17 so that shouldn't be a problem.

Would be very grateful for any pointers.

Comments

• Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    melb wrote: »
    hi there have just received my new Toshiba 43U6663DB Smart Tv for daughter and have spent hours trying to connect it to our virgin media wifi.

The TV finds the ip address ok but we cannot find out how to actually access any Freeview channels or YouTube etc.

One thing that i think may be the problem is the choice of Digital ariel, Satellite, Analogue etc etc options when as far as I can understand we are accessing all via internet/wifi.

I have tried to follow the instruction manual which seems to miss out large chunks.

I will ring Tech help at ao.com tomorrow hopefully but in the meantime is there any advice that anyone can give me in terms of something glaringly obvious that I am not doing during the set-up?

I am attempting to do this wirelessly rather than using an ethernet cable but our internet strength is strong at 17 so that shouldn't be a problem.

Would be very grateful for any pointers.

You are not plug a TV aerial or satellite dish in and following the instructions to tune the TV in for Digital TV Freeview or Satellite.
  • melb
    so should we put a cable in from our Virgin box? It will be used in a bedroom and won't be able to access our viginmedia programmes - she will be using Youtube and apps like ITV Hub once we get set up
  • Freeview is delivered via Aerial , Freesat via Satellite dish. Using the wifi/ethernet cable you get on-demand and whatever apps the TV comes with bundled with e.g. Netflix Amazon iPlayer etc. AFAIK the bundled apps like BBC iplayer , ITV Hub etc don't give you the option of live TV since they are runnig on a TV ergo there is no need for live. I can't say for sure though.
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 November 2017 at 9:21PM
    Have you actually managed to successfully connect to the wifi ?
    You should then get catchup through the Freview Play app. All you need to do is press the appropriate button on the remote to connect to Freeview Play, Netflix or YouTube. To get live TV you need to connect to an aerial or satellite dish
    https://www.freeview.co.uk/why-freeview/freeview-play#

edit: Just read the instructions for Freeview Play and it states that BBC and ITV need to be installed before you can connect to the Freeview Play platform. As most of the catch up apps are no longer stand alone and are now integrated into Freeview Play it looks like you will need the aerial,sat or maybe cable connection to watch any TV.
  • Inner_Zone
    edited 28 November 2017 at 8:58PM
    melb wrote: »
    so should we put a cable in from our Virgin box? It will be used in a bedroom and won't be able to access our viginmedia programmes - she will be using Youtube and apps like ITV Hub once we get set up

No it needs TV aerial or satellite dish input.

On another forum a user purchased a Hitachi TV probably made by the same manufacturer as your Toshiba (Vestel) and that required a TV signal before it would allow access to internet delivered services. He was also on VM cable.
  • melb
    oh thanks for all replies. We do have a TV aerial but don't have connection points upstairs. I thought i would be able to use internet access for what she wanted to watch.
  • Inner_Zone
    Try connecting to the TV aerial and tuning it in, the try the apps and then remove the aerial and try the apps again. Then you will see whether or not they will still work.
  • melb
    Hi sorry it's me again. We actually have a sky set set box connected to the old Sky didh before we moved to VM many years ago - a man came round and wired it up ad this is how she used to watch freeview channels on her old smaller TV.

I tried unscrewing the aerial input from her old TV with a view to inserting into new TV but couldn't see anywhere suitable to put it, is it where this says to put it on manual I found online ie the ANT--TV socket?

Connect the aerial or cable TV plug to the AERIAL
    INPUT (ANT-TV) socket or satellite plug to the
    SATELLITE INPUT (ANT SAT) socket located on the
    rear bottom side of the TV.
    If you want to connect a device to the TV, make sure
    that both the TV and the device are turned off before
    making any connection. After the connection is done,
    you can turn on the units and use them.

thanks
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    plug in a TV aerial lead, not a sat dish screw in lead
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    If you have a satellite connection available from your Sky box, it should screw onto the ANT SAT1 connection

toshiba_55u6663db_04_s.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport