Fight back against over-priced cosmetics! Post your cheap but outstanding discoveries

Options

Comments

• EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Geri, I liked the idea of the Aqueous cream, however as I understand it, it has SLS in it? Apparently SLS Sodium Lauryl Sulphate is used to strip engines? I want to understand more about it, but see so many things saying 'SLS free' now...

Aqueous cream ingredients:
    About this product. The name of this product is aqueous cream BP. The ingredients that make up the cream are cetostearyl alcohol, sodium lauryl sulphate, white soft paraffin, liquid paraffin, purified water and the preservative phenoxyethanol. Aqueous cream BP is available in a plastic container of 500g and 100g.

About this product. The name of this product is aqueous cream BP. The ingredients that make up the cream are cetostearyl alcohol, sodium lauryl sulphate, white soft paraffin, liquid paraffin, purified water and the preservative phenoxyethanol. Aqueous cream BP is available in a plastic container of 500g and 100g.About this product. The name of this product is aqueous cream BP. The ingredients that make up the cream are cetostearyl alcohol, sodium lauryl sulphate, white soft paraffin, liquid paraffin, purified water and the preservative phenoxyethanol. Aqueous cream BP is available in a plastic container of 500g and 100g.

Apparently:
    Sodium Lauryl Sulphate started its career as an industrial degreasant and garage floor cleaner.

Sodium Lauryl Sulphate is such a caustic cleanser that it actually corrodes the hair follicle and impairs the ability to grow hair.

Sodium Lauryl Sulphate is routinely used in clinical studies deliberately to irritate the skin so that the effects of other substances can be tested.

(...)has a low molecular weight and so is easily absorbed by the body. It builds up in the heart, liver and brain and can cause major problems in these areas.

So I thought that the Aqueous cream may be cheap, but should I risk it...?!
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • harryharp
    harryharp Posts: 1,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You're right, eager learner- aqueous cream is basically petroleum-based, as is anything that's called liquid paraffin, mineral oil or baby oil. I personally would steer clear of products that contain paraffin (including Vaseline)- but that's just my opinion, other people may disagree. There's a thread about it on this board.
  • EagerLearner
    Options
    That's a great thread harryharp - so Johnsons' baby oil and Vaseline, lip balms have it too I guess? Scary, as the skin is so absorbent, it will absorb anything you put on it... I will have to watch out for lanolin and see if it's something I'm allegric to - I know I am allegric to Nivea, that could be why...! Scooting off to check the ingredients online now.. sorry to take your thread a bit off topic, but wanted to learn more and now I have!
    MFW #185
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I love premium products & spend FAR more than I should on them but here are two gems.

BEFORE I bought the Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish hot cloth cleanser, I read on here about a look-a-likeee Tesco bnatural.
    I thought I would buy that cheap one (I think it was £3.50) & see if I got on with that whole hot cloth method, I did & I liked it, so I bought the Liz Earle.

Now I like the Liz Earle better, but I'm not sure how much of that is price tag & advertising seduction:o :o:o

So If you want a bargain, try the Tesco bnatual one. I do actually prefer their muslin cloths to the Liz ones:money:

The other fab thing is quickies eye make up remover pads, but I asked in the chemist in the village today & they are ordering them for me. But they said they have been ordering them & they are not coming in. The lady wasn't too sure if it was a stock problem:D or discontinued:mad:

Fingers crossed

So thats my two bargains, Tesco bnatutral hot cloth cleanser & Quickies eye make up remover pads.
  • mogwai
    mogwai Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    trace_567 wrote: »
    Em not quite sure how to put this really as its meant with good intentions. If your using vaseline on your face plus caster oil, that's probably causing congestion/spotty skin which the second remedy is for.

Both may be super cheap, but personally from a beauty therapy training perspective, I wouldn't recommend. Certainly tip one. Olive oil is okish, but I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than a facial massage, to then be removed after.

Thanks for the advice, but since using olive oil and vaseline, I don't really have any spots. My face is almost always completely clear (touch wood) whereas before I used to get painful spots all the time. And people have commented on my skin lots too, which is why I keep offering this advice about using oil, and vaseline.

And at the moment, I'm not using the aspirin mask for spots, but used to use this and it worked a treat. Now I just use it for 'maintenance'. I used to have a mask/steam etc day every week when I was using normal (mainly spot treatment) skincare, but now I keep forgetting to do them cos I never really need to!
    We got rid of the kids. The cat was allergic. ;)

Debt at LBM (Sep 07): £13,500. Current debt: [STRIKE]£680[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£480[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£560[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£13[/STRIKE] £0 overdraft :D
    Current aims - to start building up savings
    1st £1000 in 100 days - £1178.03 :D 2nd £1053.38/£1000 :D 3rd £863.59/£1000 :o
    :j
  • sugarspunsister
    Options
    I'm another huge Palmers fan, I always stock up on the pump bottles in Wilkinsons - anyone else found it cheaper?

Totally agree with Rimmel Hide the Blemish, haven't found anything better!

If you want a moisturiser that mixes lovely with foundation (I always mix the two to make my foundations last longer) - I recommend Boots Expert Sensitive Light Moisturiser.

Maybelline Great Lash Mascara (Pink and Green tube) is as good as any expensive one I've tried, especially for a rich true black colour. Formula is a little bit thin, but it's fine if I do a couple of coats and use an eyelash brush inbetween.

Talking of Palmers... they do a facial moisturiser too which sounds great, the original cocoa butter formula combined with SPF 15 and anti-aging AHAs. All at a reasonable price. Trouble is, I can't get hold of any. :(

Wish Boots et al would increase their Palmers range.

Boots also do a 'Traditional Range' Rosewater and Glycerin toner if you're lucky enough to find it! Usually it's on the bottom shelves - if I see it, I stock up!

Lastly, I keep finding Neutrogena make up correcting sticks in various 99p shops... they're great if you come across one! One of those things you never think you need until you try one!
    don't blow out other people's candles to make your own burn brighter...
  • EagerLearner
    Options
    I too heard alot about the Boots Rosewater G Glycerin toner then went and got it... and found it sticky... probably the glycerin - any others found this? I do want to get plain rosewater though and on ebay there are a few places I might try.
    MFW #185
  • absnasm
    absnasm Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    mogwai wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, but since using olive oil and vaseline, I don't really have any spots. My face is almost always completely clear (touch wood) whereas before I used to get painful spots all the time. And people have commented on my skin lots too, which is why I keep offering this advice about using oil, and vaseline.

And at the moment, I'm not using the aspirin mask for spots, but used to use this and it worked a treat. Now I just use it for 'maintenance'. I used to have a mask/steam etc day every week when I was using normal (mainly spot treatment) skincare, but now I keep forgetting to do them cos I never really need to!

Seconding your "oil for oily skin" theory - I haven't used this exact method but I use an oil-based cleansing bar from Lush and it's sorted out my spotty skin far better than any oil-stripping product ever did.

In other news, Tesco concealer is fantastic. Most (Caucasian) people have yellow tones to their skin, so most concealers are too pink for them. But Tesco's is yellow-based, so it's really natural. It's also a great texture for both eyes and spots, and lasts really well both in the face and in the box. And it's cheap!
  • harryharp
    harryharp Posts: 1,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    absnasm wrote: »
    Seconding your "oil for oily skin" theory - I haven't used this exact method but I use an oil-based cleansing bar from Lush and it's sorted out my spotty skin far better than any oil-stripping product ever did.

In other news, Tesco concealer is fantastic. Most (Caucasian) people have yellow tones to their skin, so most concealers are too pink for them. But Tesco's is yellow-based, so it's really natural. It's also a great texture for both eyes and spots, and lasts really well both in the face and in the box. And it's cheap!
    Is the concealer in the Barbara Daly range?
  • sohurt
    sohurt Posts: 459 Forumite
    Options
    Tesco do a really good concealor, it's in the little see through packets, it's really good, has a good coverage, think it was £2 or 3 items for £5??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure