Update! Santander First Home Saver Account: 5% on up to 50k savings (up to 35 only)

Comments

• dollywops
    dollywops Posts: 1,736
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    DD opened this account on Friday, depositing £5,000 with monthly payments of £300 to follow. When the advisor asked if she should set up the SO, I said not to bother and we would do it ourselves. Looking at the paperwork last night, the only details are a K account no, no sort code to set up the SO.

Can anyone please advise how to set up the SO using internet banking using only the K no.
  • owains wrote: »
    I haven't checked my balance since opening in April. Will it include any interest that year, or is that added in one payment at the end of the year? If the latter, is there actually any way to confirm interest is accumulating as expected following a large deposit?

Interest will be added next april then in one payment.

I'm afraid i don't know the answer to your last question.
  • intalex
    intalex Posts: 811
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    dollywops wrote: »
    Can anyone please advise how to set up the SO using internet banking using only the K no.
    From what I remember, it was a generic account number and post-code (best if you obtain this directly from Santander), with the K no. to be used as the reference on the SO.
  • intalex
    Forumite
    owains wrote: »
    is there actually any way to confirm interest is accumulating as expected following a large deposit?
    I wonder how a bank would react if one was to put in a request for a statement of accumulated interest as at a certain date. Anyone ever done this before?
  • Essex123
    Essex123 Posts: 150
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you go into a branch they may be able to tell you how much interest has accrued to date. I know other institutions can tell you this by doing a dummy closure transaction on the account.
  • housesitter
    housesitter Posts: 545
    First Post
    Forumite
    Without that knowledge this account is a serious risk!!
  • neas
    neas Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    I used this account legit for saving (just 5k +300 per month)... i got the interest on closure... but you could find after a year of doing this you get 0.1% interest :P
  • intalex
    Forumite
    neas wrote: »
    I used this account legit for saving (just 5k +300 per month)... i got the interest on closure... but you could find after a year of doing this you get 0.1% interest :P
    Are you saying you only got 0.1% interest for the entire duration?
  • amictus
    amictus Posts: 301 Forumite
    intalex wrote: »
    Are you saying you only got 0.1% interest for the entire duration?

I hope not! I think the point intalex is making is that you wouldn't know until you wanted to close the account.

Again, has anyone who has exceeded their £300 monthly allowance actually confirmed that they are getting the 5% interest rate that they expect?
  • Grimbal
    Grimbal Posts: 2,334
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My Dh has this a/c & they are pretty clear that the interest drops to 0.1% in only the month that the deposit terms are not met (i.e <£100 or >300)

from their website:
    "You will receive a lower rate of 0.10% gross/AER when you pay in under £100 or over £300 in any calendar month, but for that month only."
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure