Job Seekers Allowence Eligibility??

Comments

• The maximum sanction is 26 weeks from the date the Job ended, not from the date of your claim.

You really do need to sign on , even for a 'nil benefit' period to keep your NI stamps paid. If you do decide to sign on, you must still satisfy the availibility and actively seeking rules even if you don't actually receive benefit.

Just as an aside, I guess you are under 25 as you were a student. Surely any p/t work would be better than the £45.50 JSA. Just 10 hours work would give you more money, a reference and up to date skills in the labour market.

It's easier to get work when you are in work.

Good Luck !
  • Amberlina
    Amberlina Posts: 92 Forumite
    Hi there,

My partner has recently been turned down for JSA because:

a) we live together

b) I earn a reasonable wage

Even though we do live together, we are not married and don't intend to be in the near future and we have no financial dependance on each other. Is this right? Is there anything we can do?
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Yes it is right and there is nothing you can do. You are classed as a couple so your income is combined so he would not receive Income based JSA, I assume he is not entitled to contribution based JSA, he could get that for up to 6 months.
  • If your partner is actively seeking work and is not in full time education, he may be entitled to Jobseekers Allowance - Contribution based. As you state, you live together and you are earning (I assume working full time?) so he would not qualify for income based Jobseekers Allowance.

JSA Contribution based is payable for 26 weeks and basically comes down to National Insurance Contributions.
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    tishyscash wrote: »
    If your partner is actively seeking work and is not in full time education, he may be entitled to Jobseekers Allowance - Contribution based. As you state, you live together and you are earning (I assume working full time?) so he would not qualify for income based Jobseekers Allowance.

JSA Contribution based is payable for 26 weeks and basically comes down to National Insurance Contributions.

Isnt that what I just said in the post above yours?
  • I was trying to ascertain her partner's circumstances - if he was in full time education etc, otherwise I am not sure why he would not be eligible to make a claim for JSA Conts only?

Of course it would depend on his contributions if he qualified or not - as stated.

Sincere apologies if you assumed I was in any way trying to contradict you.
  • Amberlina
    Amberlina Posts: 92 Forumite
    Thanks for your help guys,

He's actively seeking work but he's not eligible for contribution based JSA because he has a Jersey NI number, he's also not eligible for social security from the states of Jersey because he's lives in the UK. It's one of those impossible situations I guess! here's hoping he gets a job soon...
  • lfcdream
    lfcdream Posts: 18 Forumite
    I've just been told that I can no longer get jobseekers allowance as my national insurance contributions have run out. I cant call them cos there closed, does anyone know if this means I have to sign off? There is no mension of the Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance. Do you know if i can go on to this?

:confused:
  • Hi,

Just looking for some advice, having to give up my part time job as the person why minds my children can no longer mind them! I have never claimed JSA but understand I can only give them a call once my last day of employment has finished. I am worried that my wife’s earnings (about £25000) will be too much for me to claim JSA. We have two children, has anybody any advice on where to go from here.

Regards

Cy
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    squidgeone wrote: »
    Hi,

Just looking for some advice, having to give up my part time job as the person why minds my children can no longer mind them! I have never claimed JSA but understand I can only give them a call once my last day of employment has finished. I am worried that my wife’s earnings (about £25000) will be too much for me to claim JSA. We have two children, has anybody any advice on where to go from here.

Regards

Cy

Welcome to MSE.

This thread is two years old so you'd do much better to start a new one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure