Sky charging for BB they no longer offer

Hi

Coming to the end of my one year sky all in basic package. Have looked at new deals, and sky can no longer offer me BB as we can only get 1-2mb speed.

Prior to this sky have tried to renew my current deal charging me £7.50 pm for bb, even though when looking as a new customer they can't offer it!

Our internet is so slow, with no change of fibre any time soon, and seems to have got worse in the last few months.

Am I within my rights to ask for a refund of what I have paid within the last few months for any charges for internet? They will have several fault calls registered, they blame it on BT, but I think the signal is just too crap.

Unless they will give me internet for free the best they can offer is £43 basic package, which is more than the route we will probably go of separate phone/Bb and tv

Thanks

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 June 2017 at 4:23PM
    I think they and others are refusing access to customers in poor signal areas because they don't want to provide a slow service,which will then be criticised , when they can only supply to the standard that Openreach allows.

You won't be eligible for a refund if you took the service knowing that it would be slow. It just needs to be within the range they promised.

We are promised 2 to 8 mbps generally and got about 6mbps from Sky. PlusNet is an inferior 4.5 and rarely over 5 but we are in the agreed range ,so no comeback.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    List_Maker wrote: »
    Hi

Coming to the end of my one year sky all in basic package. Have looked at new deals, and sky can no longer offer me BB as we can only get 1-2mb speed.

Prior to this sky have tried to renew my current deal charging me £7.50 pm for bb, even though when looking as a new customer they can't offer it!

I'm a little confused as to what you're saying, have they said that they can no longer supply BB to you as a current customer or is it just that they're not taking new customers at your location?

If the latter then it's actually a good thing for yourself as it won't get any worse. Not a chance of a refund.

You also won't get any better ADSL from anyone else and if fibre is not available from anyone then your options are limited to keeping your Sky or perhaps mobile BB.

Given the low speed I'd try for zero cost for the BB and decent discount on the TV, if they won't budge then schedule a cancellation for the TV for the end of minimum term and then start hitting live chat.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 June 2017 at 8:33PM
    The way broadband can be advertised apparently is to be based on the 'average speed' a customer of a particular company will get, so providers who want to be able to say 'our average customer speed is 15Mb' for example don't want customers on 1 or 2Mb dragging down the average, the result is company's refusing to take on customers with low predicted line speeds, or 'encouraging' existing low speed customers to leave.
    Sky refusing service to the OP isn't because they don't supply service in the area, (obviously,they currently have Sky BB) it's because they don't want 'slow' customers, and because they don't have to offer service, they can refuse to serve anyone that doesn't fit the 'speed profile' they want.
    It physics that dictate the speed you get,(not Openreach , especially if on Sky LLU) and as ADSL 'speed' is dependent on the distance from the exchange, and if that's a large distance, 6km+, a slow speed is inevitable , to suggest it's 'because of Openreach' is nonsense,
    Their is nothing stopping Sky building their own network
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    iniltous wrote: »

Their is nothing stopping Sky building their own network

Of course there is something stopping them: the immense cost, which would not be recouped from a lightly populated area.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure