Missing my old life?

Options
Just need to have a little vent or something... maybe get an idea of how crazy I'm being? (Currently sat here with tears in my eyes)

I left my partner of 10 years last year. We were in a rut, just getting along more as friends than anything. Overall things were fine but we argued a lot and I just wasn't as happy as I thought I should be.

I have met someone else who I love and care for a lot. And he treats me a million times better and makes me so happy. But financially he has nothing.. now please don't think I'm a gold digger or something because I'm honestly not. I have my own money!

Recently my ex went on this amazing holiday (alone) and I guess I'm just feeling pretty sad because whilst I can afford to go away on holiday, my partner can't and I'm not about to go on my own.

I just needed a place to put this in writing. I wish I could talk to my partner, we talk about everything, but he already feels depressed with his financial situation and me saying all this isn't going to help that!

Comments

• lika_86
    lika_86 Posts: 1,772 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is this just about a holiday? Or is it about a deeper loss of your old prospects?

If it's just about the holiday then you either go somewhere alone (an organised tour perhaps), go with friends or family (it's still early to be going away with a new partner) or pay for you both to go.

In the longer term you will need to cut your cloth accordingly and accept that in order to do things that you want that you will have to pay for them yourself. As for his financial situation, he will either need to improve it (if he can) or you both budget to your new situation and find joy in cheaper things in life. So rather than fancy hotels and meals out, look at Airbnbs and home-cooked dinners in, unfortunately this is an adjustment of expectations and it may take a while.

Focus on the things that you have in your new partner that you didn't have before.
  • dancing_star
    Options
    I go on holiday on my own, it is great. I'm single and female, but I know plenty of people who aren't, who go alone too, for various reasons.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like you're unhappy with you.

Expect that rut feeling to hit the new relationship next year.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The grass is always greener .....
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Why don't you just pay for a holiday for the two of you?
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    You're not a gold-digger. I think it's perfectly reasonable to look to the long-term, and ask yourself if you and this man are heading in the same direction. He may have no money at the moment, but what are his prospects for the future? Does he work in an industry where he will be rewarded in due course? Or is he lacking in ambition and never likely to earn much? Are you comfortable with the idea of being the main breadwinner, or would you prefer a more equal contribution from a prospective partner? This guy may be an improvement on the last one but may still not be The One. And that's OK.

Money can't buy you happiness - but it's bl**dy difficult trying to be happy without it.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • lika_86
    lika_86 Posts: 1,772 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You're not a gold-digger. I think it's perfectly reasonable to look to the long-term, and ask yourself if you and this man are heading in the same direction. He may have no money at the moment, but what are his prospects for the future? Does he work in an industry where he will be rewarded in due course? Or is he lacking in ambition and never likely to earn much? Are you comfortable with the idea of being the main breadwinner, or would you prefer a more equal contribution from a prospective partner? This guy may be an improvement on the last one but may still not be The One. And that's OK.

Money can't buy you happiness - but it's bl**dy difficult trying to be happy without it.

This reminds me a bit of the quote from Gentlemen Prefer Blondes:

Lorelei Lee: Don't you know that a man being rich is like a girl being pretty? You wouldn't marry a girl just because she's pretty, but my goodness, doesn't it help?
  • svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If missing amazing holidays with your argumentitive ex partner is enough for you to question your current situation (even though new partner treats you "million time better". ) then do current partner a favour and let him find someone who appreciates him more
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think you have to be brutally honest with yourself here and ask yourself what role money plays in your life. I don't know how old you are but if having a comfortable financial Lifestyle into the longer term, and that includes being able to afford decent holidays is something you would feel hard done by without, then maybe your current partner isnt the one for you, even if he treats you a lot better than your previous partner did.

Incompatibilities about money can be lethal for any relationship. Sooner or later one of the parties is going to feel resentment against the other unless the financial situation levels up. If your current partner lacks the ability to financially improve his position long term are you going to feel this holiday niggle every year ? Going on holiday alone or with a friend who can also afford a foreign trip will only increase your partner's sense of inadequacy.

If you cant downsize to caravanning or whatever type of holidays you CAN afford together, sooner or later these incompatibilities in your respective financial,positions will start appearing in other areas too. Better to be honest about your personal expectations now, for his sake as well as yours.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If this is a long term relationship then no reason why things can't change. Is it just the money or a lack of ambition on his part? When I met my husband he was paid minimum wage packing boxes. His financial state didn't bother me but I was really attracted to his dedication and ambition. 14 years on and he has a great job and we are now OK financially.
    It could be exciting to make plans together but if there is not hope of improvement could that be part of the issue?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure