Problem with Eon and CCJ

Hi,
i'm new to this so bare with me, for the last 2 weeks ive been having an arguement with EON, i've recently split up with my partner who has kindly left me with a debt with Eon for £1,100 I agreed a payment plan in May to pay £40 per month, the first payment went out a couple of days after and I didn't think anything of it as I was told they would call it each month.
However 2 weeks ago I received a CCJ from Northampton county court! in regards to the EON account, I rang to question why this happened, apparently they never agreed to recall the payments despite taking my sort code and account number that was asked for in May.
I don't tend to check my bank statements as its all done online and my bank would text me if I went overdrawn or a payment had bounced, so I had no reason to think there was an issue with payments.

I've had no other correspondence with EON about missed payments or a court appearance!
I have asked for a copy of the recorded conversation with them back in May to prove what I was told (that it would be done via direct debt), however conveniently its gone missing! I have also asked for proof of delivery of the letters they sent as I haven't received any, this they can't provide either!
All I keep being told is that they wouldn't set up a direct debit on a closed account, but I wasn't told this in may!
Eon is refusing the remove the CCJ unless I pay the full amount in the next 10 days! which I can't do, nor can I get a credit card now as my credit history will be truly screwed!

I have wrote to the court to explain the situation but I'm still awaiting for the reply.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue with EON or had a similar experience

Comments

• MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi,
    i'm new to this so bare with me, for the last 2 weeks ive been having an arguement with EON, i've recently split up with my partner who has kindly left me with a debt with Eon for £1,100 I agreed a payment plan in May to pay £40 per month, the first payment went out a couple of days after and I didn't think anything of it as I was told they would call it each month.
    However 2 weeks ago I received a CCJ from Northampton county court! in regards to the EON account, I rang to question why this happened, apparently they never agreed to recall the payments despite taking my sort code and account number that was asked for in May.
    I don't tend to check my bank statements as its all done online and my bank would text me if I went overdrawn or a payment had bounced, so I had no reason to think there was an issue with payments. This is partly where your problem lies, you need to be more proactive than that in managing your finances. Did you not notice that you had the additional funds in your account?

I've had no other correspondence with EON about missed payments or a court appearance! They would have written to you, probably on several occasions, before issuing the Court Summons. The Summons itself would then have arrived. Do they hold a current address for you? It is unlikely that all of this correspondence has gone missing. Do you live in shred accommodation? Is your mail safe?
    I have asked for a copy of the recorded conversation with them back in May to prove what I was told (that it would be done via direct debt), however conveniently its gone missing! I have also asked for proof of delivery of the letters they sent as I haven't received any, this they can't provide either! They are not obliged to send recoded delivery.
    All I keep being told is that they wouldn't set up a direct debit on a closed account, but I wasn't told this in may! That may well be, but unfortunately the burden of proof is on you.
    Eon is refusing the remove the CCJ unless I pay the full amount in the next 10 days! which I can't do, nor can I get a credit card now as my credit history will be truly screwed!

I have wrote to the court to explain the situation but I'm still awaiting for the reply. There is little that the court will do now judgement has been awarded. You could apply for a set-aside but you would need to be able to show that you have a reasonable defence should the case be brought again. As you admit that the money is owed that could be difficult.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue with EON or had a similar experience

I think that you may need to look at what is happening to your mail. If all this correspondence has gone missing then there could be other important items of mail that you have not received.

As far as the CCJ goes, if you are unable to settle it in full, you will have to apply to make settlement by instalments. Unfortunately, this will result in the CCJ being recorded on your credit file.
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Hi,
    I don't tend to check my bank statements as its all done online and my bank would text me if I went overdrawn or a payment had bounced, so I had no reason to think there was an issue with payments.

I've had no other correspondence with EON about missed payments or a court appearance!
    I have asked for a copy of the recorded conversation with them back in May to prove what I was told (that it would be done via direct debt), however conveniently its gone missing! I have also asked for proof of delivery of the letters they sent as I haven't received any, this they can't provide either!
    All I keep being told is that they wouldn't set up a direct debit on a closed account, but I wasn't told this in may!

I have wrote to the court to explain the situation but I'm still awaiting for the reply.

Yes, these recordings always go missing, don't they? I wonder how that happens? Time and again we see this - someone complains to a merchant about the contents of a discussion and miraculously the recording vanishes!
  • If you can't pay a bill with E.ON, is it wise getting a credit card and getting further into debt? What is the credit card for?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure