Complained to British Gas as I don't want a Smart Meter !

Options

Comments

• Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    I'll be moving this year, so I don't know whether there'll be smart meters next time.

I have ignored the marketing here because I want it to be the next resident(s)' choice.

It annoys me they're promoted as a way of saving energy - I am already careful what I use, so no amount of guilt-tripping can change my behaviour. I follow the advice not to leave dishwasher / tumble dryer unattended, so I would end up being charged for peak usage if they sneaked that in.

I would have thought the way round it is to change supplier and cause your smart meter to become dumb, especially if your current provider has annoyed you.

....and to insist a dumb meter is fitted if they say your meter is due for replacement.

I would stick the in-home monitor where it belongs - in a drawer! Not wasting power on that piece of junk.

Meanwhile other countries have delayed or stopped their adoption of smart meters?
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Why do you think OTA software updates would be an issue?

I agree that transferability is something I haven't confirmed yet, and I may need to do it as my fixed term ends soon, but I'd be surprised if it's not allowed.

I'm not sure whether you can arrange installation at the weekend, but I work from home so it wasn't an issue for me.

Well, if they don't happen, when a security flaw is found we'll all be stuck with them until someone goes around to replace them all. That'll be fun! It's not like you can just unplug the thing...
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 January 2017 at 4:51PM
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    6 months? I thought it was 2 years?

This link seems to support my belief.

It is and I have had altercations with two jobsworth meter readers, who insisted on coming in, when told it's not convenient (eg kitchen floor is wet),that I can't bend down to read the meter 'right now' and that a check is only mandatory every two years, an appointment being bookable, too.

One was so rude that I told him I'd report him, when he had the cheek to say he'd bring people to force their way in...so I did report him. (Disgusting that he tried to intimidate and old lady,but he met his match)
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If a smart meter breaks, both fuels are affected, but if a conventional meter fails, any billing problems will only affect one, so less money is involved.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    If a smart meter breaks, both fuels are affected, but if a conventional meter fails, any billing problems will only affect one, so less money is involved.

I don't see why, there are separate meters for the gas and electricity supply, the only common part is the monitor which picks up the signal from both meters but is not involved in sending data to the supplier.
  • stephenliverpool1
    Options
    I rest my case why I don't want one from the previous posts in this thread.
  • ARandomMiser
    ARandomMiser Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    Options
    I trust the utility companies will only be adding the meter reading fee onto those who refuse a smart meter (about £20 per annum would be about right).
    IITYYHTBMAD
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. Wait ten years till they have sorted out all the problems but the current ones that they are desperate to give away are a dud. Love reading about the GCHQ tests on the Chinese made ones in the fear that during a Chinese cyber attack they could turn off your power. Thanks, but no thanks.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I can't think of any good reason NOT to have a smart Meter. I don't make much use of the functions on mine but the removal of estimated bills should be of benefit to anyone.

In principle I don't mind having one, but until the transferability is sorted, I don't want one.

As with others, the whole saving money thing won't apply, my gas and elec for a 3 bed semi is slightly over £500.00 p.a., there wouldn't be any change in my habits. Meter readings I do only occasionally, if they charge me too much I'm not bothered, it'sd be a releatively small amount., I'll get it back next time I put a meter reading in.
  • stephenliverpool1
    Options
    I trust the utility companies will only be adding the meter reading fee onto those who refuse a smart meter (about £20 per annum would be about right).

I strongly doubt that will happen. If it does, I will either escalate to OFGEM or get a smart meter (when the gas/elec companies prove that they are working perfectly).

My bruv works for BG and he refuses to have a smart meter. That shows how ineffective they are.

My dad got a Smart meter after getting fed up with BG constantly contacting him to get one installed. If he had advised me or my bruv, we would have told him not to bother and to ignore them. Interestingly after the meter was installed, he had a gas leak a few days later. My bruv managed to get it fixed but it sums up BG and smart meters perfectly. To be avoided if you can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure