Green, ethical, energy issues in the news

Options

Comments

• kevin6666
    kevin6666 Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    EricMears wrote: »
    If you do the EPC survey AFTER SP commissioning then the panels would indeed bump up the rating. Surely the rule change was to ensure that couldn't happen by obliging the EPC to be calculated BEFORE the SPs were making any contribution.

Yes correct, when Version 8 guidance came out the intension was for that to be the case however due to the wording it was clear you could cheekily get away with the EPC been done after the Commissioning but Same Day. Anyway 8.1 corrected the glaring oversight and came into effect on May 10th.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kevin6666 wrote: »
    Sorry captain aggressive but you're wrong.

Not aggressive, just a little bored of your unreferenced claims.

You'll have to show me where the guidance says you have to get the EPC after the commissioning date as the latest guidance seems to show the exact opposite:

Page 28
    3.96. Installations with an application date on or after 15 January 2016 must have an EPC rating of level D or above issued on or before the commissioned date in order to be considered for the higher tariff rate (or the middle tariff if the multi-installation tariffs are applicable. Any installation that has not achieved an EPC level D or above at this time will receive the lower tariff.

When you talk about V 8.1, do you mean V.10?
    Not fully up to date on extensions but you could use your benefits of your Solar PV Install to bump up your EPC rating and get the higher tariffs. That's no longer the case.

Never was the case. At least not since late July 2012, when the EPC for extensions was required on or before the commissioning date. So wrong again. In fact I rang MCS and let them know as they were still not aware at the start of August 2012.

Regarding bumping up my EPC, where do I go from A?

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    If you do the EPC survey AFTER SP commissioning then the panels would indeed bump up the rating. Surely the rule change was to ensure that couldn't happen by obliging the EPC to be calculated BEFORE the SPs were making any contribution.

According to the guidance I've found you could get the EPC done on the day of the PV commissioning, so it can still count.

Also Kevin seems to be suggesting that previously you could bump up your FiT by improving the EPC later, but the FiT rate is based on the EPC supplied (or not) at the time of the FiT application.

Previously, it was only possible to improve the EPC later, by holding off on the FiT application until a 'better' EPC had been obtained.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • kevin6666
    Options
    I didn't say you had to get the EPC done after Commissioning. I said you could and lots of people did as it gave them a better EPC rating to secure the higher tariff. FIT Guidance came in 8.0 with the intension of stopping this practice but they screwed up and allowed people to still have an EPC done after Commissioning but Same Day. 8.1 corrected this mistake.

The simple point I was making is now as of 8.1 it is more difficult than ever before to secure the higher tariff band making the FIT scheme ever less attractive. Sorry such basic principles are lost on you and you're upset.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    I didn't say you had to get the EPC done after Commissioning.

I think you did:
    Also not sure if it's been mentioned here but Ofgem closed the EPC loophole of having it done the same day as the install is commissioned in the latest version of guidance published a while ago. It must now be after so that means

So you did say after, and you also implied that it can't be done on the same day.

The simple point I was making is now as of 8.1 it is more difficult than ever before to secure the higher tariff band making the FIT scheme ever less attractive. Sorry such basic principles are lost on you and you're upset.

Again, why won't you just supply a reference and a quote? You keep referring to 8.1, what is that?

By all means claim that the basics are lost on me, but I'm simplying quoting what you have said, and the corresponding OFGEM guidance, if I'm wrong ...... show me.

Mart.

• kevin6666
    Options
    You're really not very good at reading/basic stuff. Easily confused about past and future statements.

Anyway here's 8.1 if you can't be bothered googling it
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/feed-tariff-guidance-licensed-electricity-suppliers-version-8-1
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    You're really not very good at reading/basic stuff. Easily confused about past and future statements.

Anyway here's 8.1 if you can't be bothered googling it
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/feed-tariff-guidance-licensed-electricity-suppliers-version-8-1

Sorry, you'll have to quote the bit you're referring to, I can only find references to having to get an EPC before, not after the commissioning date as you originally stated.

Mart.

• kevin6666
    Options
    5.5. The energy efficiency requirement is as follows:
    For installations with an application date on or after 10 May 2016, the EPC of level D or above must have been issued before the commissioning date of the FIT installation.

For installations with an application date before 10 May 2016 but on or after 15 January 2016 an EPC level of D or above must have been issued on or before the commissioning date. 

For installations with an application date of before 15 January 2016 an EPC level D or above must have been issued on or before the Eligibility Date26 of the FIT installation.
  • Martyn1981
    edited 6 June 2016 at 10:21PM
    Options
    5.5. The energy efficiency requirement is as follows:
    For installations with an application date on or after 10 May 2016, the EPC of level D or above must have been issued before the commissioning date of the FIT installation.

For installations with an application date before 10 May 2016 but on or after 15 January 2016 an EPC level of D or above must have been issued on or before the commissioning date. 

For installations with an application date of before 15 January 2016 an EPC level D or above must have been issued on or before the Eligibility Date26 of the FIT installation.

So, as I kept saying, not after.

Would have been so much easier if you'd just supplied a link and a quote, but then you couldn't have claimed the opposite, I suppose!

Mart.

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Eric / All

Don't worry about it, Mart's really just having a play with Kevin so that he(?) understands that there was a fundamental grammatical mistake in an earlier post which completely reversed the polarity of what was meant to be written to what was actually written ....

"Ofgem closed the EPC loophole of having it done the same day as the install is commissioned in the latest version of guidance published a while ago. It must now be after so that means the majority of people possibly considering a sub 10kW system will be on the low/0.87p tariff, which barring a bit of misselling should pretty much end FIT domestic PV installs"

... effectively 'it' must refer to the EPC because the 'install' is referenced separately. The grammatical structure describes the subject as being the EPC, not the install, therefore 'It must now be after' refers to the EPC .... once Kevin finally realises that there's a mistake it'll undoubtedly be corrected to save face .... :)

Anyway, I doubt that it applied to many applicants ... there was a discussion a while ago where a member was aware of the 'loophole' and was obviously considering utilising it to achieve a higher EPC band on an 'in progress' renovation before the FiT consultation tariff changes came into effect. I'd certainly expect that anyone who would have considered having an EPC registered on the same date as the MCS registration would have extreme worries about timing problems anyway (assessor not turning up etc), not only that, the EPC assessor and the MCS installer would both need to be a little 'shady' and both risk their accreditation status for what is, in effect, very little financial gain to themselves ....

A further observation is the logical fallacy represented by the assertion ... "It must now be after so that means the majority of people possibly considering a sub 10kW system will be on the low/0.87p tariff, which barring a bit of misselling should pretty much end FIT domestic PV installs" ... in effect Kevin is asserting that the majority of FiT applications will come from properties which fail to meet the applicable energy efficiency requirements ...

Undoubtedly, there will be some rogues who have attempted to utilise the 'loophole' just to be knocked back by scrupulous installers and/or assessors, there may even be a number who have succeeded, but the likelihood of it being widespread is slim ....very slim. Anyway, a potential loophole is closed now and I'd expect that most are either happy that it is, or simply don't care as it's really a non-issue ....

As an aside, our EPC should gain 3 additional points for the heat-pump, so if issued today we'd also be in the 'A' band, but then again, we should have been there anyway if the assessor actually took our floor insulation into consideration ... or the BRE/RdSAP had extra points for massively extra loft insulation ....or ..... or ... :D;)

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure