Giblet's debt free journey

Hi to anyone reading this,

After much soul searching, I've decided to listen to the advice of the clever people on this forum, and start my own diary to try and keep things on track. I've found so much inspiration already from others, and hope that my own ramblings might even possibly prove useful to someone else (you never know!)

A little about me and how debt has influenced / affected me:

As a child, we never had any money, and my mum and dad used to give us everything and go without themselves. They were both ill (I have cared for them since I was 5) and therefore money was scarce and unpredictable. Then, suddenly, credit cards and loans seemed to become freely available, and they gave us everything we wanted (and more) without realising the day would come when new credit was no longer available. I then saw the (mental and physical) consequences of debt, and the stress it caused them (and still does, although a stepchange plan has helped massively) made me think "that will never happen to me".
Cue University, and professional training, plus a large loan I needed to take out when my childhood home was 'condemned' to stop us losing the house, and I was 'suddenly' about £21,000 in debt, not counting student loans.
I decided to get rid of the credit cards, store cards and consolidate with a couple of low interest loans (which worked ok for a few years) and with the support of my now DH, we pooled our collective debts, and managed to pay off all but £4000, (as well as saving £17000 for a house deposit in 2 years).
Fast forward to today. We have a £14000 loan (original £4000 plus £10000 extra for essential house repairs to allow us to move in), £4000 outstanding on a 0% buy now pay later window finance, and a £136000 mortgage.
I am determined that we will pay this all off as soon as possible, and that we will start with overpaying the loan as it has the highest interest (we are saving monthly in addition to this to allow us to pay off the 'window' finance before the 0% finishes, therefore avoiding a massive £7000 extra cost :eek: )

Current ways of making money:

I am currently working 4 jobs (one 30hrs, one flexible hours and two occasional teaching / marking). My DH works a job he HATES to allow us to overpay, but we are looking at other options to allow him a better quality of life whilst still overpaying.

I make sure we use all reward points possible (e.g.Tesco fuel save is helping and we have been swopping vouchers x3 for furniture storage; however this should end next month giving us a lovely extra £143 towards overpayments).

DH and I have both started online surveys / cashback sites etc although I need to get better at this.

We are going to bite the bullet and look at e-bay selling (eek!) especially as most of what has been in storage for the last 2 years can't be that important as we've managed to live without it!

Cutting down on coffees etc whilst I am driving around at work (painful, but getting there on this one...did give in today once :mad: )

NO more takeaways or meals out (managed to waste nearly £300 here last month, although that included 2 special occasions). Writing everything down is definitely helpful in minimising 'thoughtless spending'

Keep track of all spending on YNAB - loving this so far, although confusing myself frequently as I don't do numbers...

Anyway - sorry for the really long post. I will task myself with posting most days to try and keep up the momentum, and if nothing else, it stops me bending DH's ear so much about money saving; I know he'll be glad of the brief respite :p
Debt remaining: :(
Mortgage - £117,759 (£134,600, Nov 2013)

Work overpayment and home improvement loan paid back (£19200) :beer:

Comments

• jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Good luck :)
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,172 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    Keep posting!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • giblet1979
    giblet1979 Posts: 864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi and thanks jwil and beanielou - very exciting to see comments :)
    I hope you're both well (and anyone else reading).

Well today wasn't the greatest for money saving, but was so much better than it would have been previously. One unavoidable expense was that my poor cats both had to go under anaesthetic and have their teeth cleaned (or so I thought) but when DH and I went to pick them up, the Vet told me one had four teeth removed, and the other part of her gum taken away :(

Poor little things have been staggering around the house since, but seem happy to be home (and even happier to be eating the 'human' tuna for a treat). £369 later tho (until the insurance claim goes in) I'm thinking of buying a baby toothbrush and 'going in' manually each day to try and stop it happening again. Not sure if it would do any good, and don't have private medical insurance anyway, so maybe I'd better just let them get on with it and hope for the best :D

Other expenses include £72.25 on petrol (hopefully will last most of next week - I commute 50 miles per day and use my car during office hours, only the latter of which I can claim expenses on), £3.80 on coffee at work (was a meeting, and my colleague will buy next time but could do better here), and £36 top up shop in Te$co leaving us £119 in the food budget for the rest of the month :T (pleased with this although have failed hopelessless with the meal planning etc...must do better)

Very excited about learning new ways of saving money, and hoping to overpay for the first time on the loan at the end of the month. I think I can manage about £400, although I would like it to be more if possible. Need to make sure I leave enough for carpets / plastering etc (essentials) on the new house otherwise we won't be moving in any time soon, and when the storage cost goes, there is another ready made amount for overpaying there also, so it feels like it's coming together.

Night night x

• It sounds like you already have a good plan and determination to do this.
    Best of luck! :)
    Total debt March 2014: £11,194. Now £4,198.
    0% CC1: [STRIKE]£2,240[/STRIKE] £0. 0% CC2: [STRIKE]£1,934[/STRIKE] £0.
    0% CC3: £0 0% CC4: £4,198.
    12.9% Loan: [STRIKE]£3,000[/STRIKE] £0
    14.9% HP: [STRIKE]£1,103[/STRIKE] £0
  • giblet1979
    Many thanks NHS worker bee - I've been doing ok over the last couple of years, and have been 'lurking' on here for a while, reading other diaries, and getting lots of great ideas and inspiration. I'm now trying to 'put it into practice' more consistently, especially as I'm amazed at how the 'little' overpayments add up (and I'm also an NHS worker so have experienced some wobbly times of late with job security).

It would be fantastic to get as much paid off as possible, in as short a time as possible (current DFD including mortgage is 2043!). This cannot happen, lol.

Just about to go out for breakfast (planned within budget and meeting two good friends, although my temptation is to put it in the 'spends' category of my YNAB rather than the 'restaurants / takeaway' where is should go, as I don't like it when it says I've overspent in one category - not liking the red numbers). It's a great deterrent to know I'll have to come here and confess if i overspend whilst in town, so fingers crossed for a frugal day. I'm allowing myself to book a hair appointment for an upcoming wedding, and buy face stuff (with saved boots points) as they're both in budget, but NO MORE.

Hope everyone else has a great day x

• giblet1979
    Well, quite a spendy day but nothing extravagant.

Did spend about £25 on breakfast / coffees but this included DH and I, as well as a friend (and it was their birthday present). 'Soft' cat food (for the poorly kitties) was also purchased, but managed to avoid buying face stuff as it wasn't on offer (I figured even with the boots points, I should wait and get more for my money!)

One large expense, which I knew was imminent, was £481 for carpet (inc underlay and fitting). As we were expecting nearer £700 tho (very large room) I am actually really pleased with this. Still very painful considering what a lovely overpayment this would be.....

Spent most of the day sharing MSE details with my lovely friend, and as she has been coaching me for the past few years in everything frugal, I felt very proud to have loads of ideas and tips to offer. Of course, I have stolen them all from you lovely people on here, but you'll be pleased to know I didn't take credit, but directed her to the site :)

Right - time for a cup of tea, and terrible film on the horror channel...bliss x

• giblet1979
    A NSD here today - very pleased (although it is partly because I [STRIKE]couldn't be bothered[/STRIKE] chose not to go out at all, and instead spent most of the day reading forum posts, and batch cooking). On a less positive note, my new house isn't going to paint itself, and I'll have to go each night this week when I'm not doing job 2; if only I could get motivated by the storage money I'll save. A kick up the %rse would be much appreciated!

Very tempted to keep checking my bank account and updating my YNAB spreadsheet, but I doubt much has happened on a Sunday, and certainly not since 1am when I last checked it.

Instead, I have been [STRIKE]boring[/STRIKE] entertaining DH with my 'big' ideas for future money saving and debt reducing schemes. Luckily, he is very much on board with it all, and even pretends to be interested after the sixtieth time of me saying "Oh and we could do this......"

Bless him. I think early retirement is a good motivator for him :)

Anyway, best get to bed soon, although I want to see the end of this horrendous film I'm watching. It's so bad, it's good. Not as good as Insidious, which I finally got to see last night - silly but entertaining.

Night night MSE's x

• Hello Giblet!

Lovely to read your goings ons!

I am here to give you a hefty kick up the ****! Close your eyes and imagine the room painted and all your furniture in and it all looking cosy and homely and wonderful - now make it a reality!

I do the same re: checking the banks/budgets. I am willing something to have changed so I can save another 43p or whatever, it certainly is addictive.

We have so much to save for too, I am dreading the carpets as like you the rooms are quite large. I would like stone tiles in the kitchen but again I think he sheer size of it will make it unaffordable.

Well done on all your achievements so far. We have actually had quite a similar last few years. Massive debt, turning it around and getting back on our feet. Keep going!!

I will subscribe now xx

IWAB x
    2024 - happy, healthy, quality over quantity, buy nothing new (and 2nd hand only if NEEDED), mindful spending, nurturing myself and family, living for now.

Mortgage @ 31/12/23 £248k - too high, interest rate gone up - want this down asap!
    Debt @ 31/12/23 £16k - no interest - will clear over 5 years hopefully.
    Emergency savings £4k - been ransacked over last year - needs attention :-(
  • giblet1979
    edited 14 April 2014 at 10:32PM
    Hi IWAB,

Thank you so much for posting...and for the kick up the &rse :) Unfortunately I didn't do any more decorating tonight, but my excuse was that I am very tired from work, and I'm feeling more motivated overall; honest. Visualisation is good!

You're right...all those 43p's soon add up :) I'm waiting on a £400 + expenses claim back atm, and am soooooo tempted to log in to online banking to see if it's there. I'm that tempted, I'm currently 'in bed' with the pin sentry :) Managed to resist so far, but the night is young... ;)

Our carpet is in the shop, so will be delivered and fitted on Saturday...that means, in theory, Sunday could be "THE MOVE" :eek:

In terms of stone tiles IWAB, we have gone for these:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/diy/vinyl-flooring-and-vinyl-tiles/textured-vinyl-tile---grey-brick---056-sq-m-per-pack-846993

They were on offer £3.00 per pack, so we got enough to do the kitchen (light blue walls) and bathroom (silver and black). Stone tiles would be our ideal too, but needs must :p

It sounds like you have done fantastically well and thank you for the encouragement - hopefully we can spur each other on to keep going! Do you have a diary too?

Well today was nearly a NSD - had a student start with me, so bought her (and me) a drink whilst out and about, but otherwise nothing more. I did find out from the doctor however that I might have Coeliacs's disease :( I hope not, but it would explain how I've been feeling for a while now. Early days, so I'm going to try and stay positive about it all - lots of lovely new medication to take, and don't have to pay any more for it as I got a pre-payment card last year :T Best 100 odd quid I have spent given my run of form over recent months.....

Screened out of another Valued Opinions survey - I only seem to get chosen if I fill it in immediately as I receive the invitation to my e-mail...ah well, I'll keep trying.

Hope everyone has had a lovely day, and enjoyed the sunshine x

• Is your avatar one of your cats?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure