Giffgaff order confirmation email. Scam?

Hi

Not sure if this is in the right forum or not.

Received an email on 30/07/10 saying I'd ordered a giffgaff SIM. Looked up the company and they are a mobile SIM card company. I'd never heard of them and definitely not ordered a SIM card from them.

Thought maybe someone had signed up and put wrong email in but the email greeting states my first name.

Since then I've received an email saying the SIM pack has been sent and info on how to activate it. I've considered that they may have got my details through a third party but still a little worried that they're saying I've placed an order. So I went on site and attempted log-in, typing in my email in the 'forgot password' box.

It says my email is not recognised?!?!

Makes me think it's a scam as they're saying I've placed an order yet my email doesn't appear to be registered.

Anyone else had this email from giffgaff? What should I do if I receive this SIM pack?
£2 Savers Club 2014 #74 - £484

Comments

• BillTrac
    BillTrac Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you haven't ordered this, then unless you think they have your bank/credit card/debit card details then I wouldn't worry.

How are they going to charge you if they don't have these details? I doubt they would send out the sim without anyone paying first.

It could even be a scam where you recieve the sim, think someone/you has ordered and then you pay.
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,807 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Perhaps someone you know has used the "Send a SIM" option on their website, to earn themselves some points?

The SIMs are given away free anyway to try to pull in more customers.
  • lanavdt
    lanavdt Posts: 158 Forumite
    clearkav wrote: »
    Hi there,

If you have received a SIM card from giffgaff that you've not directly ordered yourself, it either has been sent to you by a friend or one of our Affiliated Partners.

Within the footer of the email it would have said something like:
    "This email was sent to you because by ordering a giffgaff SIM, you have given giffgaff permission to contact you via this address. giffgaff may email you from time to time to let you know giffgaff news. If you would rather not receive emails, send "unsubscribe" in the subject line to removeme@giffgaff.com"

If you send an email to removeme@giffgaff.com - giffgaff can take a look a look at the order history

Regards, Claire @ giffgaff

Hi I think you need to get in touch with the mods before you're allowed to post as a company representative.
  • *Chattie*
    *Chattie* Posts: 707 Forumite
    bit late now to the party thread is a year old?
  • marywooyeah
    marywooyeah Posts: 2,656 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm noticing quite a few threads like this being dragged up after some time, not really sure why people keep doing it!
  • My bad - sorry! I didn't check the original post date! It popped up in an alert - I assumed it was a current thread that I could answer, sorry folks! I'm most certainly a late arrival to this party!

@Lanavdt - re posting as a company representative, this was meant as a disclosure that I currently work for giffgaff, not that I was posting as a representative. My comments on this forum are personal - I've edited the post to remove 'our'. Good point.

Cheers! Claire
  • aerostar
    aerostar Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I'm noticing quite a few threads like this being dragged up after some time, not really sure why people keep doing it!

Because people have correctly done a search before starting an exact same thread, a thread has appeared with what they need to know/ask, they then added to the thread as it was pertinent, and probably still is, and it is helpful to read the past posts.
  • Also
    Also Posts: 16 Forumite
    Unfortunately this is does appear to have re-emerged as an issue.
    I've had two of these sent to me in the last week or two, tried to contact Giffgaff and got a nonsensical answer.
    My concern is whether the SIM cards are used for nefarious purposes.

Allan
    Trying to save money to err... spend it...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure