Would you buy horsemeat if it saved you cash?

Comments

• GlynD wrote: »
    Or guinea pid, or hamster, if you're unfortunate enough to be a Mexican. :p

Is there much meat on a hamster?
  • mattytun
    mattytun Posts: 13,920
    Rampant Recycler Xmas Saver! Savvy Shopper! Energy Saving Champion
    Forumite
    Support your local butchers & dont buy crap food cheap frozen food

Spend little extra but eat less............get up exercise and that makes you want to eat more healthily.

you get what you pay for............................job done

368d3c24-a693-4579-8cf2-e4b5e4512151_zps6f8d7a82.jpg
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd :cool:
  • I have been eating horse meat for years. It has a far superior flavour and is much healthier than beef, and the prime cuts are all at least a third cheaper. As long as it comes from a safe source I will continue to enjoy horse in place of beef. Most of my friends agree and have been converted..
  • Meadows
    Meadows Posts: 4,530
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    trukdiver wrote: »
    Is there much meat on a hamster?

Cuy - Guinea Pig South American Delicacy

err no and it depends on how it is served as it can look like road kill :eek:

We had it in Puno Peru, and in a picture we have there are four feet but we only found three and I struggled to cut a piece turned it over to find it was the jaw - with teeth .
    it tasted okay at the time but the thoughts of it now leave me _pale_

Warning: Not for the faint Hearted
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cuy&hl=en&tbo=d&qscrl=1&rlz=1T4GGNI_en-GBGB519GB519&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=UxUdUY3rEcW10QXA2YGwBA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=869
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • Meadows
    Meadows Posts: 4,530
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    mattytun wrote: »
    Support your local butchers & dont buy crap food cheap frozen food

Spend little extra but eat less............get up exercise and that makes you want to eat more healthily.

you get what you pay for............................ not always my local farmshop is expensive and the meat is tasteless

you get what you pay for............................ not always my local farmshop is expensive and the meat is tasteless.

My local butcher sells bulk by the tray, to sell that cheap they buy cheap.
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    mattytun wrote: »
    support your local butchers & dont buy crap food cheap frozen food

spend little extra but eat less............get up exercise and that makes you want to eat more healthily.

you get what you pay for............................job done

368d3c24-a693-4579-8cf2-e4b5e4512151_zps6f8d7a82.jpg

:t:t,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • mattytun
    mattytun Posts: 13,920
    Rampant Recycler Xmas Saver! Savvy Shopper! Energy Saving Champion
    Forumite
    Meadows wrote: »
    you get what you pay for............................ not always my local farmshop is expensive and the meat is tasteless.

My local butcher sells bulk by the tray, to sell that cheap they buy cheap.

That does not sound good then my local butchers in my village has been passed down the generations just had a nice steak pie tonight from him :D.........
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd :cool:
  • I'm vegetarian so would not eat it.

That said if someone put a gun to my head and said eat one of these, horse or mass produced chicken, horse all day long! (Google battery cages and you'll see why if you don't know)

I can't understand anyone that would eat cow and be bothered by horse.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
  • I for one would happily eat horse meat, irrespective of the price.

What seems to be the main issue at present (but not the issue that should be relevant!) is the mere fact that we may have been inadvertantly eating horse meat & that goes against peoples sensibilities for not eating the flesh of animals which can be regarded as pets, notwithstanding the issue of mislabelling of meat products.

What should be of paramount interest to the general public is the fact that, while there are controls regarding the kinds of drugs given to the usual animals that enter the human food chain, there are no such controls with regards to horse meat.

The generation who grew up in the lean times during & after WW2 were well used to horse meat being served up as a substitute for beef, so what has changed, why are people so sqeamish about eating horse?

I would not be very surprised if those people, who are now using regular butchers, could not tell the difference between 2 raw steaks, one horse & one beef, by sight alone, so what difference does it make if it's in a lasagne or a burger? These same people have a similar aversion to liver, kidney, heart etc... I wonder how many of these people have eaten pate recently? Or had a steak & kidney pie & not thought about the offal element!?

Some people need to wake up & smell the coffee & stop being so precious! If we didn't eat sheep, cows, pigs, chickens etc, they would most likely be extinct by now!
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Soylent Green is made of Mr. Ed?

Presumably Romania is still somewhat rural, so they still use beasts of burden, which is independent of fossil fuel, renewable, and easy to recycle as dog food, cat food, and for feeding the French.

No mention of donkeys and mules, so I assume their meat is too poor for beef counterfeiting, and go straight to dog food.

Top Gear could do a horse ride trip, with Jeremy Clarkson on a horse, James May on a mule, talking about how they make a mule and Richard Hammond rides a donkey.

In these days of recession, we should embrace a cheaper source of protein. The only problem is how do we get Romanian meat inspectors we can trust? If we send British inspectors, they will just get bribed or murdered.

Aldi, Lidl, Netto, listen up.

Jamie Oliver, start pinching French Recipes and do a Mr. Ed TV special, with a cook book to go with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure