Real-life MMD: I've won a £100 vch - must I pay for my friends?

Options

Comments

• Hezzawithkids
    Hezzawithkids Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    Options
    svmitche wrote: »
    I would contribute the £100, then anything spent above that should be split equally between the three of you.

If you are having money problems, then sell the voucher and go out with your friends somewhere cheaper that you can all afford.

This ^^^^^^
    £2 Savers Club 2016 #21 £14/£250
    £2 Savers Club 2015 #8 £250£200 :j

Proud to be an OU graduate :j :j

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass but learning to dance in the rain
  • safe4life
    Options
    Easy... Pay the bill anything more than £100 your mates pick up the tab.
  • jakntone
    Options
    You invited your friends, of course you should pay. How could any one think otherwise?
  • Fluff15
    Fluff15 Posts: 1,440 Forumite
    Options
    It depends on whether you've invited them out on the premise that you've won the voucher, and you gave them the impression it's on you.

However, since it's a free voucher and isn't actually costing you anything - if they're good friends you should treat them. I'm sure they'd be very grateful. Any difference over £100 you should split between yourselves.
  • chocaholicmanc
    Options
    Where are you going that one persons bill will come to £100?!

That aside; honesty is definitely the best policy. Be upfront with your friends. If they already know you have the voucher I'd guess they're expecting to pay anything above the £100. I think if you explain you're skint and ask that the voucher covers your meal completely and then they pay anything above £100 between them that would be fair. As long as they know that they should be ok with it.
  • mrbrightside842
    Options
    I'd feel a bit miffed that I'd been invited out only so that the winner could profit from me by 'selling a meal' to me.
  • sideways-sid
    Options
    Easy! If you're planning a fun night out with friends, have one!

Tell them in advance about the voucher, and split anything over its value between you.

If you're unable to afford the surplus, why didn't you just invite one friend??? Then the voucher would cover your first £50 instead of £33.

Incidentally, a friend of mine has invited me and three others out for drinks on Friday eve, and has a similar £100 bar tab to spend. Its a no-brainer for me that we'll use the tab, and we'll just buy drinks/rounds in the usual way when the tab is exhausted.

:beer:
  • Augustus_the_Strong
    Options
    You've WON a hundred-pound restaurant voucher and invited your two friends to share your good fortune, but when you get there, you're expecting to stuff your own face to the tune of £100 while your friends pay for themselves? That hardly seems reasonable.

As you are hard up and this is £100 free bonus offer, I suggest that you and your two friends enjoy a nice £33 meal each, stay within your means and you go home happy & feeling generous (at no cost to yourself) instead of stuffed to the gills with two disgruntled ex-friends.
  • Gizasmum
    Gizasmum Posts: 257 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would question your relationship with your friends. I know I wouldn't want someone so miserable as my friend, who would ask me out on a freebie they had then expect me to give them cash for the third that would be spent on me. Seems very underhand not to put the voucher in the pot.

I do however think it would be perfectly ok for the three of you to split any balance over the £100. Also if I was one of the friends, provided that the price wasn't astronomical, I would insist that me and the other friend paid for the wine and covered the tip.
  • Saetana
    Saetana Posts: 1,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd ask them to pay anything over the £100 plus tips - it is not right to make them pay you for the whole meal whilst you use a voucher you won in a competition. I win a lot of competitions and I always give unwanted items to family and friends, I wouldn't dream of charging them for it even though I too am struggling for money.
    2020 Wins:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport