Price for installing gas cooker

Comments

• keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    keylock000 wrote: »
    cost of installation of gas cookers depends on the labour the ...................

Snip, snip

..........only take an hour or so to install and check
    Do you ever pause for breath when typing? BTW this thread is 3 years old!!! I think they might just have had it done by now.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • Tom_Jones
    Tom_Jones Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    arfurrrr wrote: »
    don`t for get the extra costs , that most people don`t see and thats running costs , insurances , vans , bad debts , gas safe fee , CPD training and assessments etc etc etc and there is also a bit called profit .

£95 inv vat , less materials , less tax , how much has he made £45 , less van he had to buy to drive to job and fuel and all the above , whats he made now £30 quid for 30mins(in your house) + time to and from yours another unseen cost .

and all that if the gas pipework doesn`t need upgrading !

£95 in reasonable , £65 is mates rates

Exactly, that's what really !!!!es me off about people who want work done, they think a job like this just involves the actual work done in the house, not the two hours it will actually take, inc travelling etc, and yet the query a reasonable price, and yet are happy to pay a solictior £200 an hour.

:confused::confused::confused:
  • A quick reply to the above.....

I just joined the forum as I felt I needed to reply to this thread.

I am a GasSafe qualified engineer and feel it is important that under no circumstances should consumers disconnect gas appliances without being competent which by definition means QUALIFIED to do so, using common sense and care is just not responsible enough unless you know what you're doing and have means of testing for gas escapes after the disconnection (see 'competent').
    Just say, you disconnect your existing cooker (for arguments sake) and smell gas (perished seal in the bayonet coupling, whatever) so re-connect and still smell gas? You then have to turn off your gas supply and call Mr AAA 111 1st Gas Engineers who offer emergency call out and then it DOES get expensive! Apart from that I agree with most of the previous post.

Rates vary from area to area, I myself charge £80.00 (2 hours labour, which is about average in our area, South East) plus £35.00 for the fittings (new bayonet, hose, chain etc) making a total of £115.00. The two hours is because it takes that amount of time out of my day allowing for travel, setting up etc. The fittings cost me about £20-£30 including sundries depending what's needed as I buy in bulk and so I make a little on those too but not much. Allowing for costs (as described by another post) you can see that I'm not exactly making a killing on it, probably about £70.00 or less in total.

My point is, that whilst we all are looking to save money, especially in the current climate, obviously make sure you don't get ripped off but PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't be tempted to cut corners when dealing with gas in order to save a couple of quid as it is not a safe or responsible thing to do. And, should a hazard or emergency arise as a result of your actions it will probably end up costing you a lot more.

I would say always use a trusted GasSafe engineer who's business is charging enough to give you a proper service (including after sales if needed, it all takes time) so be suspicious if someone is ridiculously cheap whilst being vigilant to avoid the rip-off merchants.

Ranting over, hope it helps :silenced:

keylock000 wrote: »
    cost of installation of gas cookers depends on the labour the heating teck is charging
    most cookers have a bayonet fitting which can be disconnected by a person who is competent but does not have to be qualified as the gas regulations make an exeption in these cases (use common sence and care)
    if you're changing like for like then there should be no extra load to the pipework
    but if you're putting in a larger cooker then you might be putting the existing system at risk and therefor should call a gas safe registered installer to check pipe sizes (biggest killer at this point is carbon monoxide)
    an installer becomes responsible for your entire installation (boilers,fires,cookers,and any other gas units in your house) and so is obliged to check everything in the home before and after the new or remedial works are carried out and then has to sign the paperwork to state that everything was in order ........so thats what you're paying for in the long run...... peace of mind and a safe installation
    personally between £60 (cheap) to £150(expensive) or somewhere in the middle is ok but in most cases should only take an hour or so to install and check
  • samshep
    samshep Posts: 5 Forumite
    I came across this thread while looking for installation quotes. The prices quoted here seem pretty much par for the course but I also noted (and apologies to independent gas installers) that most of the big shops charge £70 - £90 quid to install as well. So it would make sense if you were buying from a big shop (comet-currys etc) to ask them how much they would charge and if they would do a deal.
  • Lost2
    Lost2 Posts: 15,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I have been quoted about £100 to remove an old multi cooker and replace it with new gas cooker I have the chains from last cooker
    Sealed Pot Number 018 🎄2009..£950.50 🎄2010..£256 🎄 2011..£526 🎄2012..£548.80 🎄2013...£758.88🎄2014...£510 🎄2015...£604.78 🎄2016...£704.50 🎄2017...£475 🎄2018...£1979.12 🎄2019...£408.88🎄2020...£1200.63...🎄2021…£588 🎄2022 £672… 🎄2023 £3,783.90 🎄2024…£
  • Adorian
    Adorian Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tom_Jones wrote: »
    Exactly, that's what really !!!!es me off about people who want work done, they think a job like this just involves the actual work done in the house, not the two hours it will actually take, inc travelling etc, and yet the query a reasonable price, and yet are happy to pay a solictior £200 an hour.

:confused::confused::confused:

I don't think anybody is actually happy to pay a solicitor £200; they just feel that they have no choice, whereas if they just knew a little bit more, they could plumb/wire the job themselves! ;)
  • Can someone explain why you need a chain on a Gas Cooker please? I am 50+ years old and have never yet had a cooker that has had a chain fitted. My current cooker is 13 years old. So what is the point of a chain...?
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    The chain is there to protect the cooker gas hose and wall connection, should the cooker tip/fall forward for some strange reason.

They reckon that if you have an oven door that folds down, you or someone might stand on it and tip the oven over!

It is nothing to do with stopping pans of boiler water etc from spilling.
  • TonyMac_2
    TonyMac_2 Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 19 January 2011 at 8:55PM
    Gosh, whatever next? I have never managed to tip a cooker over in my lifetime. What sort of idiot would do that? It sounds to me like someone is taking the **ss with all these new rules. I remember my father and grandad using gas mantles all over the house and they never came to any harm. Nowadays you cant even hook a new cooker (which no doubt is tested before being sold) up to the existing cooker point yourself without having to pay someone to do it for you. What is this daft country coming to eh? Jobs for the boys???
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    TM, I think you have summed it up, not only with many gas regs, but with the pathetic nanny state that we all now live in!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure